1. Joined
    01 Oct '20
    Moves
    14 Oct '20 13:30
    @fmf said
    There's been a fair bit of discussion here over the years ~ indeed there have been plenty of confident assertions ~ about the Christian God answering the prayers of Christians including specific claims that such prayers were heard and answered and conjecture about the efficacy of other's prayers regarding their gratitude and their needs.

[b]What do you believe or imagine was t ...[text shortened]... ked that their slaves would work harder and give birth to lots of children who would also be slaves?
    If their property was protected, they were prosperous and the slaves worked hard it is obvious their prayers were answered.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '20 22:01
    @vals-loeder said
    If their property was protected, they were prosperous and the slaves worked hard it is obvious their prayers were answered.
    Je bent 'n vals loeder.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '20 22:09
    @vals-loeder said
    If you believe the slave owners' prayers were being answered in this way by their God in the mid-19th century, when - to your way of thinking, when did owning human beings as chattel become [1] immoral and [2] "sinful"?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '20
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 13:39
    @fmf said
    If you believe the slave owners' prayers were being answered in this way by their God in the mid-19th century, when - to your way of thinking, when did owning human beings as chattel become [1] immoral and [2] "sinful"?
    Where did I say "I believe"? You shouldn't make assumptions.

If slave owners prayed for a good harvest and the harvest was good it seems logical their prayers were indeed heared. It doesn't matter whether anybody else believes it to be true or not. For them they were, obviously.

Also, the slave owners most likely didn't think having slaves was sinful or immoral; I don't know any primary sources which tells us otherwise. What we do know for sure is that other people who did find owning slaves sinful and/or immoral fought to end slavery.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 08:41
    @vals-loeder said
    Where did I say "I believe"? You shouldn't make assumptions.
    You said this:

"If their property was protected, they were prosperous and the slaves worked hard it is obvious their prayers were answered."

If you now want to say you DON'T believe it's "obvious their prayers were answered" then why did you type what you typed?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 08:43
    @vals-loeder said
    If slave owners prayed for a good harvest and the harvest was good it seems logical their prayers were indeed heared.
    So, you believe "their prayers were indeed heard"?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 08:47
    @vals-loeder said
    Also, the slave owners most likely didn't think having slaves was sinful or immoral; I don't know any primary sources which tells us otherwise. What we do know for sure is that other people who did find owning slaves sinful and/or immoral fought to end slavery.
    You've stated you believe it is obvious the slave ownners' prayers were answered. Do you believe anyone's prayers contributed to the end of slavery?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 08:49
    @vals-loeder said
    You shouldn't make assumptions.
    I'm not. I'm just reading what you are typing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree