1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 19:32
    @secondson said
    What is the Hindu cure for the finality of death? Enlightenment?

How does that work?
    Enlightenment is the release from the cycle of life and death.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Sep '20 20:08
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Enlightenment is the release from the cycle of life and death.
    Then what? Ethereality?

🤦‍♂️
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Sep '20 07:43
    @secondson said
    Then what? Ethereality?

🤦‍♂️
    Nirvana, heaven. Tomatoes tomatos.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 16:10
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Nirvana, heaven. Tomatoes tomatos.
    I see. So then, after a multitude of lifetimes, if one should perform up to the standard of performance necessary, one achieves a state of perfection, i.e. nirvana, heaven. Patatoes patatos.

All by themselves, or is it a team effort? Does one get a little help from someone or something? Or is it every man for himself?
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 16:36
    @secondson said
    I see. So then, after a multitude of lifetimes, if one should perform up to the standard of performance necessary, one achieves a state of perfection, i.e. nirvana, heaven. Patatoes patatos.

All by themselves, or is it a team effort? Does one get a little help from someone or something? Or is it every man for himself?
    You asked what followed the release from the cycle of life and death. I answered Nirvana. Again, how is that different from heaven?

The Hindu 'karma' and Christian 'reap what you sow' are cut from the same cloth. Neither is a team effort. As a Christian, you want to elevate your own religion and at the same time ridicule the beliefs of other religions, I get that.

All the same to me. Neither is more or less ridiculous.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    01 Oct '20 16:53
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    All the same to me. Neither is more or less ridiculous.
    "That sounds like something someone might say with a finite mind."

😉
  7. Standard memberSainTJaymZ
    BANISHED WARLORD
    Confiscated Pieces
    Moves
    11 Oct '20 18:18
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I never said that JESUS was alone...
    When I mentioned Jesus, automatically Jehovah and the Holy Spirit are included.
    For THEY are ONE!!!
  8. Standard memberSainTJaymZ
    BANISHED WARLORD
    Confiscated Pieces
    Moves
    11 Oct '20 18:20
    @FMF

That was already stated.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Oct '20 19:281 edit
    @saintjaymz said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I never said that JESUS was alone...
    When I mentioned Jesus, automatically Jehovah and the Holy Spirit are included.
    For THEY are ONE!!!
    You said:

'...and this Christian God (JESUS), '

Why single out Jesus and place him in brackets (and capital letters) if you believe in the Trinity?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '20 20:15
    @saintjaymz said
    @FMF

That was already stated.
    So you are also @civilWORSHIP and forgot to log out...?
  11. Subscriberhappy chappy
    I think not alot
    On my arse
    Moves
    11 Oct '20 20:34
    Anyway,back to the subject,
    If God answered the prayers of either the slavers or the slaves do you think He would have done better than to give them the hell which America was and is now?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Oct '20 21:06
    @SainTJaymZ

Do you have a third account, you know, in the spirit of the Trinity?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '20 23:42
    @happy-chappy said
    Anyway,back to the subject,
    If you are keen to go back to the subject, please do. You could start by addressing the OP question. The subject is the purpose and efficacy of prayer in the context of slavery. If you want to discuss retail politics in the U.S., which I think you do, I suggest you take it to the Debates Forum.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Oct '20 00:31
    @secondson said

In Pure Land Buddhism, it is generally believed that Bodhisatvas actively interfere on our behalf and help those who are devout.

It is also just generally believed that devotional acts will earn yuo in a rebirth in a higher plain of existence (a Heaven) in which you will be able to hear the teachings of Bodhisatvas more directly, and thus ascend into Nirvana.

Nirvana is sometimes conceptualized as total non-existence but many believe that Nirvana does have actual parallels to a heaven and that a sort of consciousness does remain, and that a sort of interaction with reality does remain, for the Buddhas. But this is all very controversial territory. The safest, most obvious interpretation is that Nirvana really is non-existence, but there are plenty who still treat it as a sort of Buddhosis where one becomes merged with the great, vast enlightened, contented, peaceful being, and that is what is meant by non-existence.

It'd really depend on who you are talking to - even within traditions there are conflicting ways to interpret this. Buddhism tends to be less dogmatically rigid.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Oct '20 13:16
    @philokalia said
    Nirvana is sometimes conceptualized as total non-existence but many believe that Nirvana does have actual parallels to a heaven and that a sort of consciousness does remain, and that a sort of interaction with reality does remain, for the Buddhas. But this is all very controversial territory. The safest, most obvious interpretation is that Nirvana really is non-existence, ...[text shortened]... aditions there are conflicting ways to interpret this. Buddhism tends to be less dogmatically rigid.
    An analogy I've heard is of grains of salt dissolving into 'the one water.' The grains may appear to no longer exist, but taste the water and it will taste salty.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree