1. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 12:39
    When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

I've always been interested in this biblical philosophy. Does this mean you can beat your slave with a rod to a pulp and if he survives the beating but dies on day 3 then it's ok with God?
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 May '08 14:44
    Originally posted by PawnChop
    When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

I've always been interested in this biblical philosophy. Does this mean you can beat your slave with a rod to a pulp and if he survives the beating but dies on day 3 then it's ok with God?
    Yes, for slaves are property.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 May '08 18:40
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Yes, for slaves are property.
    Even Paul says that slavery is okay. So if you are christian, it's not a big deal to take a slave.
    Josef Fritzl in Austria, who had his cellar full of people, is a true christian.
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    13 May '08 23:14
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Even Paul says that slavery is okay. So if you are christian, it's not a big deal to take a slave.
    Josef Fritzl in Austria, who had his cellar full of people, is a true christian.
    That'd make him a good Jew, because it was mostly OT teaching. Jesus himself never said it was OK and the question doesn't seem to come up under his watch. Just because Paul says something doesn't mean it's what Jesus wanted; it just means he wrote things down and someone kept them. It could be that all remaining apostles said that slavery was a horrendous sin, but no one wrote it down.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    13 May '08 23:24
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Jesus himself never said it was OK and the question doesn't seem to come up under his watch.
    Are you suggesting that Jesus and God are not fully in accord on all moral issues? On those issues for which there is contention, who is correct?
  6. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    14 May '08 00:01
    i am correct, untill u prove me wrong;
    God doesnt exist,
    and the bible are just a bunch of storys in a book.
  7. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    14 May '08 00:40
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Are you suggesting that Jesus and God are not fully in accord on all moral issues? On those issues for which there is contention, who is correct?
    No, I'm saying that God didn't have very good secretaries.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 May '08 04:13
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    God doesnt exist,
    I see most of the old testament as a bunch of beduin stories.
    Read the story of Simson and Delilah and tell me that there is anything divine in that.
    Even today we have stories like that, read the Grimm brothers tales. Very much like the old testament.
    Do you know the story of the origin of the rainbow? Is right there, in the genesis, as a answer to ta childrens question: "What is a rainbow, and why is it there?"
    I wonder why Newton wasn't burned by the church as Bruno was. Newton discarded that genesis story and found the true reason of the rainbow.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 May '08 05:58
    God doesnt exist,
    Whilst I do agree, this isn't a very sophisticated argument. More a general assertion.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 May '08 06:24
    No, I'm saying that God didn't have very good secretaries.
    Yet you appear to trust Jesus' secretaries more than Paul - who wrote things down himself.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 May '08 06:27
    That'd make him a good Jew, because it was mostly OT teaching. Jesus himself never said it was OK and the question doesn't seem to come up under his watch. Just because Paul says something doesn't mean it's what Jesus wanted; it just means he wrote things down and someone kept them. It could be that all remaining apostles said that slavery was a horrendous sin, but no one wrote it down.
    If Jesus thought it was wrong, one would have thought he would have said something definite about it. With Gods foresight he could have cut down on a lot of the slavery that Christians perpetrated. Of course God could have said something to the Jews much earlier via a prophet.
    One could of course argue that the 'do unto others' verse is infact a direct statement against slavery, but sadly not all Christians seem to take it that way (Paul included).
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 May '08 06:29
    Actually your correctness is unknown until you are proven right or wrong. If you were correct then proven wrong that would entail a logical contradiction.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 May '08 06:31
    Newton discarded that genesis story and found the true reason of the rainbow.
    No he didn't he found out how it works not why it exists. However one is left wondering whether light worked differently before the flood. Either God planned it all ahead of time or the fundamental laws of physics were changed quite considerably. 🙂
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 May '08 07:00

I wonder why Newton wasn't burned by the church as Bruno was.
    It's not difficult to find out the answer to that yourself.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 May '08 09:16
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's not difficult to find out the answer to that yourself.
    Perhaps Newton lived further oway from the pope?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree