1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 22:081 edit
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/16/snake-salvation-pastor-dead/5532531/

"...Coots and the show's co-star, Rev. Andrew Hamblin, believe in a passage from the Gospel of Mark that suggests a poisonous snakebite won't harm them if they are anointed by God's power:

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

"Most churches view the passage as a metaphor, but for almost a century a small number of believers in Tennessee, Kentucky and other parts of Appalachia have followed the passage literally. Coots and Hamblin believed that, if they did not practice the snake-handling ritual, they would be condemned to hell."
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 22:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/16/snake-salvation-pastor-dead/5532531/

"...Coots and the show's co-star, Rev. Andrew Hamblin, believe in a passage from the Gospel of Mark that suggests a poisonous snakebite won't harm them if they are anointed by God's power:

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out d ...[text shortened]... eved that, if they did not practice the snake-handling ritual, they would be condemned to hell."
    Shocking.

What's this world coming to, that a person can't live their lives by the same rules as what existed 2014 years ago?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 22:453 edits

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out d ...[text shortened]... eved that, if they did not practice the snake-handling ritual, they would be condemned to hell."
    Could you show me in the New Testament where it is instructed for me to go out of my way to handle a venomous snake, put it in my mouth perhaps and dance around with it ?

I missed that teaching although I am familiar with the Mark passage.
    Where does the New Testament say " Now, to proudly prove that you are super spiritual go find yourself a rattlesnake !! Show off with your cobra." ?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 23:27
    Originally posted by sonship
    Could you show me in the New Testament where it is instructed for me to go out of my way to handle a venomous snake, put it in my mouth perhaps and dance around with it ?

I missed that teaching although I am familiar with the Mark passage.
    Where does the New Testament say [b] " Now, to proudly prove that you are super spiritual go find yourself a rattlesnake !! Show off with your cobra." ?
    [/b]
    Reportedly there are about 2500 believers in snake handling and their reasoning is from Mark. There isn't much more to be said, is there? Somebody's right and somebody's wrong.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 23:34
    Reportedly there are about 2500 believers in snake handling and their reasoning is from Mark. There isn't much more to be said, is there? Somebody's right and somebody's wrong.
    Snake 1
    Errant Believer 0
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 00:272 edits

Second Timothy 4:20 - "Erastus remained in Corinth, and Trophimus I left at Miletus sick."

First Timothy 5:23 - "No longer drink water only , but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent illnesses."

I think whole lot of people there were missing the point of the Gospels.

Mark may have said these signs will follow them.
    He did not say they will follow these signs.

You must have read the account of how Satan tempted Jesus to do something supernatural like turn the stones into bread or jump down from the pinnacle of the temple.

Part of defeating Satan was for Jesus to resist the temptation of religious pride.

"Then the devil took him into the holy city and set Him on the wing of the temple, and said to Him, If You are the Son of God, cast Yourself down; for it is written, 'To His angels He shall give charge concerning You, and on their hands they shall bear You up, lest You strike Your foot against a stone.'

Jesus said to him, Again, it is written, 'You shall not test the Lord your God.' "

Satan was quoting a Psalm from the Old Testament. Jesus responded with "Again it is written ..." . As people who seek to live through God we follow His example. It is not enough to know that the Bible said. We have to know what ELSE the Bible said. Satan knows what is written. Sometimes we have to resist his temptation by reminding him and ourselves "Again it is written..."

So now you have 2500 people going to see a Christian circus of supernaturalism, they hope, Christians handling poison snakes. There is no divine command that disciple go seek to be poisoned on purpose.

Well, again we see written that Paul left a co-worker in a city because he was sick. And we see Paul advising Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach for a natural healing of his frequent ailments.

Why didn't Paul send Timothy a piece of prayer cloth or one of his garments as a "miracle garment" ? Why did Paul leave one of his co-workers sick somewhere rather than pray for a miraculous healing?

It is because he was a mature man of God. He was not on a one line only fanatical fringe.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 00:38
    Yea, I'm of the opinion that YOU DON'T TEMPT God, which is what those
    2500 people are doing.
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 00:51

Obviously wasn't anointed by God's power. 😵
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 00:56
    There isn't much more to be said, is there?

No there is not much more to be said for the guy seeking out handy dandy little items with which to supposedly embarrass Christians.

You can't embarrass the lovers of Jesus with this.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 00:58
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Obviously wasn't anointed by God's power. 😵
    You catch on quick sometimes.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 01:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 01:30

No there is not much more to be said for the guy seeking out handy dandy little items with which to supposedly embarrass Christians.

It would be foolish of me to think I could toss you something you couldn't handle. Your faith is solid as a rock and your background in Bible resources is solid as well. I just wanted to see how it is handled. I think the two references to Timothy are interesting.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 01:31

If these contemporary snake-handling churches were consistent, they'd
    follow the second part of Mark 16:18: and drink deadly poison too.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 02:01

But it's so EASY🙂
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 03:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    If these contemporary snake-handling churches were consistent, they'd
    follow the second part of Mark 16:18: and drink deadly poison too.
    This is just another doctrine of demons.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree