1. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 May '08 07:21
    I got an idea when discussing snakes in the Vatican aliens thread.
    According to genesis, the reason why snakes don't have legs is because the first snake caused all our problems with sin etc.
    So, that means that all snakes are descended from that first snake.
    Considering the vast variety of snakes in the world today including not just many different species but significantly different body patterns and DNA, doesn't that contradict some of the creationists claims about the range of change that is possible via evolution? For example Kelly has claimed that no new organ can evolve, yet different snakes have different organs.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 May '08 11:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    According to genesis, the reason why snakes don't have legs is because the first snake caused all our problems with sin etc.
    Considering the vast variety of snakes in the world today including not just many different sp ...[text shortened]... le Kelly has claimed that no new organ can evolve, yet different snakes have different organs.
    That's a proof of itself...
    Don't read the bible and believe in it in the same time.
    It's only beduine stories, told at the camp fire.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 May '08 13:511 edit
    Considering the vast variety of snakes in the world today including not just many different sp le Kelly has claimed that no new organ can evolve, yet different snakes have different organs.
    What verse in Genesis refers to the legs of a snake one way or another?

Do you mean something said about going about on the belly (Gen. 3:14)? Crocodiles also go about on the belly. They have legs.

You might try just reading what's written there.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 May '08 14:31
    Originally posted by jaywill

Do you mean something said about going about on the belly [b](Gen. 3:14)?
    Crocodiles also go about on the belly. They have legs.

You might try just reading what's written there.[/b]
    Yes. Snakes are also dust-feeders. Right?
  5. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    16 May '08 14:37
    You might try just reading what's [b]written there.[/b]
    no need to, just a bunch of lame storys, i read better books!
    :p
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    16 May '08 15:07
    Considering the vast variety of snakes in the world today including not just many different sp ...[text shortened]... le Kelly has claimed that no new organ can evolve, yet different snakes have different organs.
    You're point is logical and faith is the belief of something without being able to prove it logically. But, I'll give this a try. Your third sentence is not claimed by any Bible verse. The snake in Eden was really Satan, so tyhe actual animal and what its descendants looked like are debatable. Also, since God is omnipotent and can make a amn out of dust and sons of Abraham out of stones, it'd be a piece of cake for him to evolve some snakes with venom, others to be constrictors, etc.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 May '08 01:12

Do you mean something said about going about on the belly [b](Gen. 3:14)?
    Crocodiles also go about on the belly. They have legs.

You might try just reading what's written there.[/b]
    The passage says that for his transgressions the serpent was cursed and would therefore go about upon his belly. The obvious implication is that the serpent formerly did NOT go about upon his belly and therefore most likely had legs. Either that or he had wings (or some other means of locomotion which did not involve bellies) which he subsequently was deprived of. A crocodile (having legs) clearly does not go about upon his belly.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 May '08 01:32
    Where in Genesis does it say snakes ever had legs?

Ge 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.

I've heard it said that the snake was able to move through the air before God cursed it to crawl on its belly.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '08 01:36
    I expect most Christians accept the validity of evolution and interpret Genesis as an allegory.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 May '08 01:45
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    ... faith is the belief of something without being able to prove it logically.
    So is paranoia.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 May '08 01:551 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I expect most Christians accept the validity of evolution and interpret Genesis as an allegory.
    I expect Christians to do a wide variety of idiotic things. Deny evolution. Pick and choose from the Bible. Not bother to read the Bible and so not be aware of inconsistencies. Crusade against the Muslims. Hang out in all-Christian gatherings discussing tea and praising the Lord every few minutes while avoiding any sort of dissent. Accept all religions as different paths to the same end, thus avoiding being responsible to any one religion's drawbacks or restrictions. Etc.

Then there are the Christians who lose their faith and find reality.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '08 02:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I expect Christians to do a wide variety of idiotic things. Deny evolution. Pick and choose from the Bible. Not bother to read the Bible and so not be aware of inconsistencies. Crusade against the Muslims. Hang out in all-Christian gatherings discussing tea and praising the Lord every few minutes while avoiding any sort of dissent. Accept all re ...[text shortened]... or restrictions. Etc.

Then there are the Christians who lose their faith and find reality.
    Very good. You have recognised that Christians vary in their beliefs.

But it is still the case that mainstream Christian churches regard Genesis as allegorical.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 May '08 02:261 edit
    Very good. You have recognised that Christians vary in their beliefs.

But it is still the case that mainstream Christian churches regard Genesis as allegorical.
    Do any of them yet accept that Jesus rising from the dead is allegorical too? Or the walking on water, wine into water or feeding the 5000?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 May '08 03:23
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Do any of them yet accept that Jesus rising from the dead is allegorical too? Or the walking on water, wine into water or feeding the 5000?
    I assume that a minority does. So what?
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 May '08 03:38
    I assume that a minority does. So what?
    Well, if parts of the bible can be allegorical, it can ALL be allegorical. Then nothing differentiates it from a simple lie.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree