1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 14:55
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Look, this doesn't explain anything. I don't think many would want to argue with your definition of a Christian as 'someone who practices the teachings of Christ'. Most people would acknowledge that as a good measure for Christian identity. What your definition lacks is critical detail about what those teachings are and especially whether practicing Christ ...[text shortened]... arised your position fully. If you think that I have misrepresented you, then show me where.
    on the contrary i detailed , consistently, three references, Matthew 28:19,20 and Acts
    20:20 and Luke 11:23, if that's not specific enough then i dont know what is.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 15:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    on the contrary i detailed , consistently, three references, Matthew 28:19,20 and Acts
    No; it doesn't answer our question about the necessity of the JW organisation. But, whatever, I am content with your earlier replies to the effect that one cannot be Christian without the aid and instruction of a JW. I just wanted to point out in this thread that you and Galvo are in disagreement on this point since Galvo recognises the possibility that a person could be Christian if they tried to live honestly.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 15:31
    Ok, I'm going to say it if no one else does. You're being FAR too specific.

Like this is ALL "being a Christian" means.

You take the ONE thing JWs do well and make it the sole thing one MUST do to be a Christian.

Let me be perfectly clear. Please take your snobbery and put it where the sun don't shine.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 16:28
    well duh. how it escaped your notice that i did say yes, several times, in fact, i even put
    it in bold for the hard of comprehension! not to mention provide reason, although it
    was clear that the original poster was not interested in reason.

as for your preposterous and erroneous assertions regarding my premise of what
    defines a Christian, n ...[text shortened]... is that
    really sooooo hard for you to understand? for God knows your having trouble with it.
    Can you read? It did not escape my notice (nor am I denying) that you answered in the affirmative. It's just that your arguments in support of a "yes" answer really blow.

At first you evaded the question. And in the end, your responses have not constituted a "clear" answer to the question. Like I said, if you had simply answered "yes" and left it at that, it would have been clear enough. But when you answer "yes" and then purport to explain why that is the correct answer by presenting reasons that in absolutely no way show that it is the correct answer, it all becomes less clear.

What is clear is that you have no good grounds for thinking the answer to Manny's question is yes (or at least none that you have been able to communicate).
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:03
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Can you read? It did not escape my notice (nor am I denying) that you answered in the affirmative. It's just that your arguments in support of a "yes" answer really blow.

At first you evaded the question. And in the end, your responses have not constituted a "clear" answer to the question. Like I said, if you had simply answered "yes" and left it ...[text shortened]... to Manny's question is yes (or at least none that you have been able to communicate).
    big huge pile of mere opinion!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Ok, I'm going to say it if no one else does. You're being FAR too specific.

Like this is ALL "being a Christian" means.

You take the ONE thing JWs do well and make it the sole thing one MUST do to be a Christian.

Let me be perfectly clear. Please take your snobbery and put it where the sun don't shine.
    thankyou , for the lamebo excuses, what will you tell Jesus, something like this,

(Matthew 25:24-25) . . .“Finally the one that had received the one talent came forward
    and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be an exacting man, reaping where you did not sow
    and gathering where you did not winnow.  So I grew afraid and went off and hid your
    talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’
  7. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 19:201 edit
    Ok so all I have to is join the JW's and go knock on doors and pass out "Awakes" and get coverts to join the JW's and I'm in? I'm a Christian ? And NOT a plastic one to be sure? 🙂

Do you see how silly that sounds?
    I would be kicked out in a few hours because I would challenge and question

Manny
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 19:271 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    Ok so all I have to is join the JW's and go knock on doors and pass out "Awakes" and get coverts to join the JW's and I'm in? I'm a Christian ? And NOT a plastic one to be sure? 🙂

Do you see how silly that sounds?
    I would be kicked out in a few hours because I would challenge and question

Manny
    I am afraid it not quite as easy as that, you need to study so as to be able to hold a
    Biblical discussion with a member of the public, and you need to be morally acceptable
    before you can act as a representative of the most high God. Were not in the habit of
    dragging people in off the streets you know.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 19:50
    I am afraid it not quite as easy as that, you need to study so as to be able to hold a
    Biblical discussion with a member of the public, and you need to be morally acceptable
    before you can act as a representative of the most high God. Were not in the habit of
    dragging people in off the streets you know.
    So what about the mentally handicapped or those without the confidence or basic academic stamina to cope with "study"?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 19:54
    thankyou , for the lamebo excuses, what will you tell Jesus, something like this,

(Matthew 25:24-25) . . .“Finally the one that had received the one talent came forward
    and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be an exacting man, reaping where you did not sow
    and gathering where you did not winnow.  So I grew afraid and went off and hid your
    talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’
    Actually, no. It's between Him and me, actually, and not exactly food for this forum.

Did not the Christ also say:

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest [thine] alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." -- Matthew 6:1-4
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 19:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Actually, no. It's between Him and me, actually, and not exactly food for this forum.

Did not the Christ also say:

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest [thine] alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the s ...[text shortened]... ret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." -- Matthew 6:1-4
    i know i was being horrible, just forget it, put it far away from your mind as you can.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 20:17
    i know i was being horrible, just forget it, put it far away from your mind as you can.
    Fair enough. I apologize also.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 20:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So what about the mentally handicapped or those without the confidence or basic academic stamina to cope with "study"?
    Geeez...Do you really think God is so simply and cruel to not take human difficulties and obsticles like that into consideration?
    Or do you think we have a trash bin out back that we discard those with such problems?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 20:24
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Geeez...Do you really think God is so simply and cruel to not take human difficulties and obsticles like that into consideration?
    Or do you think we have a trash bin out back that we discard those with such problems?
    Like most people in the rest of the civilised world let alone rhp, I don't know what to think; you are the people telling us what to believe and how to believe it. I'm just asking questions, to which your lack of tolerance is an increasing source of scepticism, as is why robbie can't answer his own posts.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 20:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Like most people in the rest of the civilised world let alone rhp, I don't know what to think; you are the people telling us what to believe and how to believe it. I'm just asking questions, to which your lack of tolerance is an increasing source of scepticism, as is why robbie can't answer his own posts.
    I think maybe it's time to dial the rhetoric back a notch. The JWs and the non-JWs have been at it for almost a week now. I myself am guilty of some scathing posts aimed at Robbie and you and Galveston have been going back and forth also. I'm pretty satisfied at this point that JWs in general and Robbie and Galveston in particular are good Christians, even if we do have some somewhat fundamental differences. They've weathered some posts attacking them, and we've also weathered their counterattacks. I just think it's time to ease up some. Tolerance goes both ways, as does the lack of it.

We're all Christians, sharing a love of Christ, so let's try to remember that. Okay?

I'm not saying we can't ask questions and have discourse, but let's just try to take some of the animosity out of it. I think most of us have had our fill by now, anyways.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree