1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 15:24
    I don't know if anyone has noticed but the human race is on the brink starting an ecological chain of events that could easily end up killing most of us and the planet with it. We've known about this for sometime now and unless you have your head in the sand and believe the right wing propaganda from the US (whose CO2 emissions have gone up not down) , global warming IS on the way. It's not looking good folks ! All the indicators are that humans will continue to do what they always do and pursue greedy agendas whilst ignoring the consequences. This time we will truely reap what we have sown and our unborn great grandchildren along with it.

So where is this great swell of humans that's going to save the planet? The time is upon us and we're dragging our feet. It may already be too late. It's looking odds on that we are only going to respond when self preservation is threatened (which will be too late and we all know it). Only then will we get radical politicians in who instead of being able to make changes will just preside over misery.

This may not have much impact now , maybe I shopuld wait until Holland is underwater and the Amazon jungle is in flames. Anyhow,
    I gave up believing in out and out humanism long ago but if I still had faith in it I'd be questioning it now. It's looking like humanity is essentially fallen and self destructive. What about you Atheist guys? Don't you realise that the mess we're heading into (in terms of human misery and death) is going to make the Spanish Inquisition look like a garden party.....you won't be able to blame God this time...only human / ostrich like behaviour. For all the ranting about the dangers of religion (9/11 and all that) it's going to be humanity itself that finishes us off!
  2. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 15:30
    Overreact much?

-JC
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 16:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 16:56
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I don't know if anyone has noticed but the human race is on the brink starting an ecological chain of events that could easily end up killing most of us and the planet with it. We've known about this for sometime now and unless you have your head in the sand and believe the right wing propaganda from the US (whose CO2 emissions have gone up not down) ...[text shortened]... religion (9/11 and all that) it's going to be humanity itself that finishes us off!
    What has global warming got to do with humanism? Because it's caused by humans doesn't mean 'humanism' is behind it. In fact, I would say that the secular humanists of the world are more eco-friendly that the religious right is.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 18:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What has global warming got to do with humanism? Because it's caused by humans doesn't mean 'humanism' is behind it. In fact, I would say that the secular humanists of the world are more eco-friendly that the religious right is.
    If humanism is faith in human nature then it has everything to do with global warming. If we screw up the planet when we knew what road we were going down future generations (if there are any) will judge human nature to be pretty dumb and self destructive , incapable of even saving itself. What inplications would this have for humanism? You Atheists are quick to blame religious ideology for fouling things up, how about humanism with it's naive belief in humans.

As for the religious right , it's not really relevant . My question is do you have faith in humanity to resolve climate change or not? Are we going to self destruct?
  6. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 18:53
    Originally posted by Churlant
    Overreact much?

-JC
    I think the phrase you are looking for is 'scaremongering'. What you need to do is question the evidence for global warming and then point out that I am some leftist revolutionary who hates technology (especially SUVs). Then it would probably be a good idea to say I was arrogant for even thinking we puny humans could mess up the planet. You'll get a lot of support for these ideas because most people will want to deflect away from the uncomfortable truth. Make sure you ignore history though , because that will show 'scaremongering' scientists to be more often correct and soothing politicians to be usually in the wrong.

Underreact much? Whatever helps you sleep at night eh?
  7. Gangster Land
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 19:07
    If humanism is faith in human nature then it has everything to do with global warming. If we screw up the planet when we knew what road we were going down future generations (if there are any) will judge human nature to be pretty dumb and self destructive , incapable of even saving itself. What inplications would this have for humanism? You Atheists ar ...[text shortened]... o you have faith in humanity to resolve climate change or not? Are we going to self destruct?
    Ok, aside from the fact that you don't seem to know what humanism is; is it your claim that if people trusted God more we would not pollute as much or is it simply that if more people believed in God he would save the planet for us?

Do you have any studies that suggest non-humanists pollute less? Do you have any studies that non-humanists are doing more to clean up existing pollution?

TheSkipper
  8. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 19:09
    I think the phrase you are looking for is 'scaremongering'.
    No. The word I was looking for just happens to be "overreact".

Much like you are doing now... taking a two word phrase from me and blowing it into a paragraph of inference.

Believe it or don't, I am much closer to the SUV-hating liberal crowd than the free-market-or-death conservative crowd.

I also happen to be realistic in my balancing and stand by my original assessment of your post.

-JC
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 19:12
    If humanism is faith in human nature then it has everything to do with global warming. If we screw up the planet when we knew what road we were going down future generations (if there are any) will judge human nature to be pretty dumb and self destructive , incapable of even saving itself. What inplications would this have for humanism? You Atheists ar ...[text shortened]... o you have faith in humanity to resolve climate change or not? Are we going to self destruct?
    I fail to see what connection humanism has with global warming, especially when a vast majority of the people around the world would describe themselves as being religious. The self-described 'humanists' are in the minority, by far. If anything, then, religious belief should be tarnished with the odium of causing global warming:

1. Most people have religious beliefs of one kind or another
    2. We now have global warming threatening us
    3. Therefore, religious beliefs cause global warming

Disagree? It makes about as much sense as the connection you're trying to make. Well I say that if humanism had been more widely taught then we wouldn't have ended up in the predicament we're in now. People would have been less willing to rely on 'god' to solve all their problems and would have done something about it themselves.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 20:12
    I don't know if anyone has noticed but the human race is on the brink starting an ecological chain of events that could easily end up killing most of us and the planet with it. We've known about this for sometime now and unless you have your head in the sand and believe the right wing propaganda from the US (whose CO2 emissions have gone up not down) ...[text shortened]... religion (9/11 and all that) it's going to be humanity itself that finishes us off!
    Humanists don't control the U.S. economy or have any power over those who do.
    You want to help stop global warming, stop voting for right-wingers.
    And walk to work.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 22:55
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    You want to help stop global warming, stop voting for right-wingers.
    Meh, demicans, republocrats, same difference.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 00:05
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Meh, demicans, republocrats, same difference.
    That's what THEY want you to think.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 00:35
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    That's what THEY want you to think.
    Who are THEY? The demicans, the republocrats, or the aristocats?
  14. The sky
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 00:40
    If humanism is faith in human nature

[...]

humanism with it's naive belief in humans.
    Humanism isn't faith in human nature, or a naive belief in humans. Where did you get that idea?
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 01:59
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Humanism isn't faith in human nature, or a naive belief in humans. Where did you get that idea?
    What is it then? Humanism believes that the average human is a decent fellow and not as drunk as I am right now.

Love you all, humans! And yet I hate all of those that speak for humanity!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree