Socrates

Socrates

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by DeepThought
So, what is piety?
FMF has no clue, but I'll stick my neck out on this one and say piety is a close relative of humility.

F

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by josephw
That's what you always say about anyone's opinion that's not your own.
I think the saying is nonsense. I think it is trite. I don't suppose it was the actual opinion of the person who coined it. Can you quote a few examples of me calling an "opinion that's not my own" trite nonsense? If I "always say" it about opinions I disagree with, then it ought to be easy for you to find an example. 😉

F

Moves
23 Jun 16

DeepThought: So, what is piety?

FMF has no clue, but I'll stick my neck out on this one and say piety is a close relative of humility.
Huh? Why would I have no clue what the word piety means?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
I think the saying is nonsense. I think it is trite. I don't suppose it was the actual opinion of the person who coined it. Can you quote a few examples of me calling an "opinion that's not my own" trite nonsense? If I "always say" it about opinions I disagree with, then it ought to be easy for you to find an example. 😉
That's absolutely hilarious! Look up. You said right there you think the saying is nonsense and trite. That's your opinion about an opinion that's not your own. Right?

You seem a bit shrill lately. Check and see if you're firing on all your cylinders. 😉

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
Huh? Why would I have no clue what the word piety means?
Originally posted by DeepThought
So, what is piety?

FMF's answer.

"I have no doubt that you can defend the saying "I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing", if that is what you mean to do, without suggesting I am pious for being unimpressed by it!"

How is that an answer to a strait forward question? Besides that you can't know what piety means anyway since it isn't in your repertoire of life experiences.

What do you have to be pious about, I mean, besides yourself? 😉

Read a book!

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by whodey
Where did you get that?
It is well known that Socrates put none of his philosophical ideas in writing.

Speculation on the reasons can be found in many biographies.

F

Moves
23 Jun 16

How is that an answer to a strait forward question? Besides that you can't know what piety means anyway since it isn't in your repertoire of life experiences.
Huh? Piety is righteousness by virtue of being pious. What do you mean I "can't know what piety means"? What are you on about?

F

Moves
23 Jun 16
1 edit

That's absolutely hilarious! Look up. You said right there you think the saying is nonsense and trite. That's your opinion about an opinion that's not your own. Right?
Do you really think it was the actual opinion of the person who coined it? Of course it wasn't. It's just a piece of nonsense. It's a silly aphorism. I think it is trite.

If someone actually comes here and expresses the opinion or the claim that they are the wisest person alive because they say they know nothing, and call it trite nonsense then you can call me out on it. But as long as it is an attempted aphorism then I will call a spade a spade.

You said I "always" say opinions other than my own are trite nonsense. I have confronted people for opinions they have that I do not share many, many times. So an example or two shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jun 16

The truth is, we all fall short of the truth, which is why the truth is so offensive.
I always wondered why you were such a compulsive liar. Is it because you find the truth offensive? I doubt that anyone else does so try to keep 'we' out of your sentences about yourself.

w

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
I always wondered why you were such a compulsive liar. Is it because you find the truth offensive? I doubt that anyone else does so try to keep 'we' out of your sentences about yourself.
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
-Socrates

F

Moves
23 Jun 16

-Socrates
I don't remember twhitehead ever losing a debate to you though, so I'm not sure hiding behind a quote works. He's probably referring to your behaviour on these forums when he calls you a lair. You were caught so many times on the Debates Forum when I was active there, I lost count. Slander is words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another. Your damaged reputation is of your own making, whodey, not twhitehead's. So, once again, I'm not sure hiding behind a quote works for you. 😉

Read a book!

Moves
23 Jun 16

-Socrates
The last thing Socrates wanted was to have dilettantes like you skipping around and passing out counterfeit quotations.

http://www.snopes.com/socrates-debate-lost-slander-loser/

w

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't remember twhitehead ever losing a debate to you though, so I'm not sure hiding behind a quote works. He's probably referring to your behaviour on these forums when he calls you a lair. You were caught so many times on the Debates Forum when I was active there, I lost count. Slander is words falsely spoken that damage the reputation of another. Your damag ...[text shortened]... whodey, not twhitehead's. So, once again, I'm not sure hiding behind a quote works for you. 😉
He had ample time to contribute to this thread but instead chose character assassination.

You are not doing it as well.

Pathetic.

F

Moves
23 Jun 16
1 edit

He had ample time to contribute to this thread but instead chose character assassination.

You are not doing it as well.

Pathetic.
You have the liar tag because you have earned it. Many of the most reasonable people who used to frequent the Debate Forum saw you in the same light, even some on your side of the political aisle or who at least might have been sympathetic to some of the issues you wanted to raise.

Doctored texts, deliberately misquoted sources, words changed in quotations, totally fabricated quotes and attributions, made up statistics, summaries of what was to be found on sites or in articles that turned out to be untrue, discredited circular e-mails quoted verbatim, obviously untruthful or exaggerated statements about yourself that didn't add up, etc. etc.

It's how you sought your entertainment but you rarely got away with it, I seem to remember. Hence the unfortunate tag you've earned.

w

Moves
23 Jun 16

Originally posted by HandyAndy
The last thing Socrates wanted was to have dilettantes like you skipping around and passing out counterfeit quotations.

http://www.snopes.com/socrates-debate-lost-slander-loser/
Supposing that this did not come from Socrates, or any other quotes directly attributed to him, does it matter?

Is there truth in the saying or not?