19 Jul '15 19:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 19:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not necessarily. I don't know what Hinds meant in his answer, but suppose he meant "it depends on what you believe or don't believe". That would be a perfectly reasonable response without having flexible morality.
    He may think that believing in Islam and not believing in the Biblical god are both deserving of punishment and that believing in the Biblical god is not. Nothing flexible there.
    Do you think it is morally acceptable to burn people alive for what they do or don't believe? Or do you think it depends?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 19:49
    It is nevertheless an interesting question that it raises which applies even if you disagree with Kelly. Suppose committing murder is deserving of severe punishment. Suppose God, or even us people were to prevent people from committing murder. Are they no-longer deserving of sever punishment? ie is the punishment for the act or for the evilness that cause ...[text shortened]... souls exist prior to birth, most foetus' still die prior to birth. Are they being done a favour?
    I agree it is an interesting topic. But My point of interest is that KellyJAy in making it a presumption from scripture, is incorrect.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 19:593 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You remind me of the Pharisees accusing Jesus of being in league with Satan, not that i should compare myself with Jesus. For I know that I am an obnoxious, despicable, and disgusting person, but Jesus loves me anyway. Fancy that. 😏

HalleluYaH !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    I don't care that you are obnoxious, oafish, misinformed, bigoted, morally numb and and disgusting person (your word on that one).

You have stated that there may be some dependency, some reason why it would be considered morally acceptable to burn a person alive for what they do or don't believe.

If I take you at your word (for what that's worth), then you are no better than any other religious extremists on the planet. Furthermore your opinions bring the Gospel of Christ into disrepute. If I take you at your word, then you are are indeed a despicable human being.

But I don't take you at your word. In actuality, I think you are a coward, a troll and shallow-thinking right-wing American Christian who is more fond of opening his gob than engaging his brain. I'm coming to realise through this forum that the real problem is that there are probably millions of Christians who really do mean what you say.

I note that all of the others Christians in this forum have still not answered the question: "is it morally acceptable to burn someone alive for what they do or don't believe?"
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 20:081 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    It amuses me that all the really crazy stuff on this forum comes from theists and hardly anything - if anything at all - crazy comes from the atheists.

If I were a moderate theist I'd really wonder why that is.

It would raise some serious questions. Why are theists, having a far closer relationship with god than atheists, on average batcrazy whe ...[text shortened]... crazy? What does that say about me?

Luckily, I'm a moderate atheist. No such worries for me.
    You believe life spontaneously generated in a pre biotic soup and that fish became men! Thats pretty bat crazeeeeeee!
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 20:291 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't care that you are obnoxious, oafish, misinformed, bigoted, morally numb and and disgusting person (your word on that one).

You have stated that there may be some dependency, some reason why it would be considered morally acceptable to burn a person alive for what they do or don't believe.

If I take you at your word (for what that's worth), t ...[text shortened]... ed the question: "is it morally acceptable to burn someone alive for what they do or don't believe?"
    "I note that all of the others Christians in this forum have still not answered the question: "is it morally acceptable to burn someone alive for what they do or don't believe?"

Of course not: these terrorist acts and beheadings reported by the media are morally unthinkable and ethically reprehensible.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 20:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You believe life spontaneously generated in a pre biotic soup and that fish became men! Thats pretty bat crazeeeeeee!
    Thank you for that.

That would be another one to add to the "theist" camp. I wonder how the moderate theists feel when they read something like that.

Why has god reached Robbie Carrobie to some degree, but not GKR, moderates? Why is that?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 20:50
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "I note that all of the others Christians in this forum have still not answered the question: "is it morally acceptable to burn someone alive for what they do or don't believe?"

Of course not: these terrorist acts and beheadings reported by the media are morally unthinkable and ethically reprehensible.
    Then it obviously question begs...then why do you think it is OK for your version of God to do it?
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 20:52
    I note that all of the others Christians in this forum have still not answered the question: "is it morally acceptable to burn someone alive for what they do or don't believe?"
    No.

But of course I'm an atheist. Rationality comes much easier to me.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 21:022 edits
    No.

But of course I'm an atheist. Rationality comes much easier to me.
    Isn't is curious though, why they don't respond. GB has responded in a "licking my lolly" feigned innocence, sort of way. But the rest won't step in. How can they condem something they approve thier version of God doing?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 21:31
    Can you justify that? What does it mean to 'deserve it'?
    Whodey gave a couple examples.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 22:121 edit
    Thank you for that.

That would be another one to add to the "theist" camp. I wonder how the moderate theists feel when they read something like that.

Why has god reached Robbie Carrobie to some degree, but not GKR, moderates? Why is that?
    You are most welcome Why? who can say? Perhaps if you look deep enough inside yourself you may find a reason.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 22:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Clearly. There is such a thing as punishment on the day of judgment, in the form of being cast into the lake of fire. Like you say some people deserve it.

Is there not a difference between burning to death which entails some torment, and eternal torment where God keeps you alive and with the ability to feel pain for all eternity?
    Yes there is a difference, and God will do as he sees fit.

Am I to answer for God?
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 22:351 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    "Yes there is a difference, and God will do as he sees fit.

Am I to answer for God?"...
    ... said the Muslim, before beheading some children. "Who am I to question God?"
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Jul '15 22:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You are most welcome Why? who can say? Perhaps if you look deep enough inside yourself you may find a reason.
    I wasn't looking for an answer. I am an atheist, remember. I already know the answer to that question.

My question was for the moderate theists to ponder.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree