some people dont care

some people dont care

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
10 Feb 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
i guess you could argue that it is a bad thing to have life if you are an emo or something, but at least they have the option to take it away themselves as opposed to never being born and never having the chance to live
hahah

M

Moves
10 Feb 07

Originally posted by amannion
So what?
The thing about us humans is that - despite arguments on these threads to the contrary - we have free will and independence. My kids are free to choose who they are responsible to and who they are responsible for.
My having helped create them means nothing - other than the obvious familial link we have with each other. (Which, don't get me wrong, I have complete respect for.)
your kids should respect you right?
Why because you are their elder.
They dont have to because of free will.

There is a obvious right and wrong choice for them. You seem to miss that point.

M

Moves
10 Feb 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
So, why God? Why not Muffy, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Giant Celestial Teapot or anything else. And you still have no proof that God even exists!

As for the Big Bang being an explosion, well, in a kind of way it is, but not in the conventional meaning of the word - it was absolutely unique, and very well proven in physics - an affirmation that your God lacks.
do you believe in god?

M

Moves
10 Feb 07

So you believe a fairy story but not one that is based on scientific models - fair enough. That's your right.
But why are you thankful?
Science still hasnt proved anything. They have no idea how it began (dont even say big bang... what caused the big bang? There is always a question.)

So either way you believe there is no real proof.

Evolution is not even proved. Its a theory. In fact I have heard a scientist debating how evolution is impossible and it sounded pretty good.
(I have mp3's of the debate if anyone wants to hear them)

E

Moves
10 Feb 07

Originally posted by MikeBruce
Science still hasnt proved anything. They have no idea how it began (dont even say big bang... what caused the big bang? There is always a question.)

Evolution is not even proved. Its a theory. In fact I have heard a scientist debating how evolution is impossible and it sounded pretty good.
they like to call them facts instead of theories

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Feb 07

It's only a theory!
Get over it.
Theory is the term given to a scientific explanation.
Yes, it's tentative. Yes, it might be wrong. That's the hallmark of any good scientific theory.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Feb 07

Why is it so important to you to not accept a particular scientific theory? Will your life and world collapse around you if evolution is demonstrated to be true?
Why would you think such a thing?

E

Moves
10 Feb 07

Why is it so important to you to not accept a particular scientific theory? Will your life and world collapse around you if evolution is demonstrated to be true?
if it is proved true then i will believe it

M

Moves
10 Feb 07

I never told you what I believed. I gave you an argument and you just assumed.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Feb 07

I never told you what I believed. I gave you an argument and you just assumed.
Yeah right.
Thanks for that.
Now why don't you piss off and leave the arguing to interested and interesting people.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Feb 07

if it is proved true then i will believe it
No scientific theory can be proved true.
All you can do is build a theory that's better than none at all or better than its predecessor.
If you want prrof study maths.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
10 Feb 07

All you can do is build a theory that's better than none at all or better than its predecessor.
I thought theories were tested until proved true, then became a fact.

E

Moves
10 Feb 07

then what makes a theory better than the bible?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Feb 07

then what makes a theory better than the bible?
Not better, just scientific.
With the bible you're relying on the belief that these words are divine - or divinely inspired. Which is cool if you accept that belief.
With a scientific theory there's no reliance on anything divine - nor in fact on any one authority. Science is not dogmatic in that sense - it changes, it adapts, it is modified, as is appropriate. (Sort of like evolution.)

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
10 Feb 07

Originally posted by josephw
I thought theories were tested until proved true, then became a fact.
Our current model of the solar system is a theory.
Now we've used this theory to correctly predict the positions of planets and moons; we've used it to naviaget robotic probes from here to Mars and other planets. So, it looks pretty much fact right?
Well, yeah, I guess.
But the possibility exists (however unlikely) that this model is in some way incorrect. It could be proven wrong, if a predicton is made that does not fit the theory, or if we sent a robotic probe to land on Pluto and hit Mercury say.
The possibility exists that a theory might be wrong.
Difficult to call it a fact in that sense.