1. London
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 13:42
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Let's do that.

Go ahead.
    Not sure what there is to discuss - it's mostly obvious stuff:

* Every organisation/institution depends on the health of its relationship with its stakeholders; in environments where that relationship depends on the stakeholders seeing that organisation/institution as impeccable, there will always be the temptation to cover up when a crime/mistake does occur.

* A second factor would be the social cohesion within the organisation/institution. People generally don't like to "rat" or expose their colleagues; even cops who are themselves honest may not actively expose colleagues who are corrupt.

* A third factor would be that organisations/institutions can sometimes feel "guilty" about recruiting or enrolling people who had a reasonable a priori risk of committing a crime. They can spend an inordinate amount of time attempting to "rehabilitate" the persons involved and turn a blind eye to their continued shortcomings and the risks they pose. This is quite similar to parents who deliberately or involuntarily turn a blind eye to the clear immoral behaviour of their children.

* A related factor is the nature of the relationships between the people who work in the institution/organisation. Where relationships are familial rather than formal, the parental "blind eye" that I mentioned above can come into play.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 14:051 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Not sure what there is to discuss - it's mostly obvious stuff:
    Should organisations be held accountable when they fail to report crimes committed by their members, especially when there is a risk of recidivism?

Is there any difference between the RCC and other organisations when it comes to covering up crime perpetrated by its members?
  3. London
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 14:10
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Is there any difference between the RCC and other organisations when it comes to covering up crime perpetrated by its members?
    Not sure I understand the question here (are we talking mechanism, motivation, moral status, something else?). Perhaps it would help if you could provide your own answer as well as a clarification.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree