Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
There's an enormous amount of sexual abuse in South Africa. Child rape of the most brutal kind. Sex is not greatly discussed by adults as a whole, especially in the more conservative parts of the population (the overwhelming majority). You seem to be rationalising here.
Is it members of the overwhelming conservative majority that is committing the brutal child abuse and rape you're talking about?
EDIT: Are we talking rape by ordinary every-day doctors, teachers, managers etc.? What about by priests in South Africa?
EDIT2: Are we talking rape of pre-teens or teenagers?
EDIT3: I simply Googled "South Africa child sexual abuse". This is the first link that turned up:
The major reasons listed for the prevalance of child abuse in S. Africa:
- The production of pornography
- Hardcore sex
- Children being used as drug carriers
- The mistaken belief that having sex with a virgin will rid the perpetrator of HIV/AIDS.
- Children being used or trafficked for the use of their organs
- Children being made to work under inappropriate environments and conditions sweatshops, agriculture, domestic service, etc
- Sale of child brides
- Child prostitution
- Informal economy (hawkers and beggars)
- Children being murdered and gutted and their dead bodies used to courier drugs across country borders
- An increased demand for black children – especially from European and North American men, for sexual purposes