Something new

Something new

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 Jan 08

In my opinion, I think we need to find a new way to debate this controversy. Better minds than ours have been debating this stuff for ever and still no one around here appears to be getting converted.

You can say "I told you so" Kirksey.

I can no longer continue to engage in this debate as it exists.

Does anyone here know of a better way to discover the truth than the way it's done here?

Any ideas?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by josephw
In my opinion, I think we need to find a new way to debate this controversy. Better minds than ours have been debating this stuff for ever and still no one around here appears to be getting converted.

Does anyone here know of a better way to discover the truth than the way it's done here?

Any ideas?
The only way to discover the truth is to start seeing things my way.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by rwingett
The only way to discover the truth is to start seeing things my way.
Are you telling the truth?

TD8

Moves
21 Jan 08

What it comes down to is this: 99% of the people in the world are unaware of where evolutionary study is today, contrasted by 99% of people who have read or been exposed to the bible. Most of evolutions critics still talk about Darwin!

Copernicus was the only person who believed the Earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around...It always takes people years to catch up to innovations and in this case it's taking over 100 years....

The reason is this: the study of evolution doesn't get communicated to people on late night TV telethons, like the Bible does. It requires a lot more individual critical reading/thinking than learning about God. The only way to learn about it properly is to take a university course from professors who know what they're talking about, or read professors work on your own. How many people are willing to do this? NOBODY.

So we have people who only understand one side of the argument taking on people who understand both and nobody is able to convince the other side that they're wrong.

Have a nice day!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by The Dude 84
What it comes down to is this: 99% of the people in the world are unaware of where evolutionary study is today, contrasted by 99% of people who have read or been exposed to the bible. Most of evolutions critics still talk about Darwin!

Copernicus was the only person who believed the Earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around...It al ...[text shortened]... d both and nobody is able to convince the other side that they're wrong.

Have a nice day!
I wonder if flat-earthers dismiss astronomy because of Copernicus or some other ancient astronomer's mistaken conclusions?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
22 Jan 08

Better minds than ours have been debating this stuff for ever
Speak for yourself.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
22 Jan 08

Any ideas?

Any ideas?[/b]

Try Jesus first. Go into your closet and pray.

w

Moves
22 Jan 08
2 edits

Any ideas?
Let me just say that our origins are but a mystery in terms of how we came about whether you believe in Creation or abiogenesis. No one knows just how it all came about and no one ever will. Of course we have Genesis and our theories and have fossil records and know how our bodies work for the most part. Really it is all we have to go on to try and get the big picture no matter how lacking this data may be.

As far as truth goes, the Bible only gives a few brief chapters that address our origins. Really the Bible never chose to address such issues, rather, the Bibles focus is on weighter matters than this in terms of truth. Walking in love with God and your fellow man is the greatest truth I know. Who can say otherwise?

w

Moves
22 Jan 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
Try Jesus first. Go into your closet and pray.[/b]
That's the best advice I think I have heard you give in a while. 😉

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jan 08
1 edit

Any ideas?
Thats because you see it as a debate with two equal but opposing parties. In truth it is a bunch of atheists teaching a bunch of creationists by means of a lesson in critical thinking. We do it for two reasons:
1. To make the world a better place.
2. To entertain ourselves.
3. To learn from each other. Yes teachers can learn both from their fellow teachers and even from their worst students.

🙂

Q
Tovenaar

Dieren

Moves
22 Jan 08

As long as you're trying to "convert" people it will lead you nowhere in my opinion. I only debate to get new insights/deepen my own views or to tell what I think when someone is genuinely interested.
Regarding "the truth" I think the only truth that one can find is in oneself. There is no ultimate truth, everyone has his/her own truth and the funny thing is that all these truths are of equal value even if contradicting each other.

Otto

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
22 Jan 08

To call this a debate or controversy is in itself a fallacy. To debate implies both sides are willing to admit that through logical argument an answer can be reached.
However on one side of this we have logic driven science, heaps of evidence backing this science and people who are quite willing to admit they're wrong.
On the other side we a group who have little need for logic or science because they already know all the answers and thus have no necessity (which is good because its impossible) to reach these answers through logical progression.
I'm not saying anyone is wrong to believe in Creation and the literal interpretation in the bible I don't care. However the claim there there is any proof or evidence for this to be found in science I find ridiculous and mildly offensive, because all scientist, no matter what they do, start any project/experiment/theory knowing that they could very well be wrong. Anyone with absolute conviction in their faith already knows their right.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
22 Jan 08

Originally posted by Quirine
As long as you're trying to "convert" people it will lead you nowhere in my opinion. I only debate to get new insights/deepen my own views or to tell what I think when someone is genuinely interested.
Regarding "the truth" I think the only truth that one can find is in oneself. There is no ultimate truth, everyone has his/her own truth and the funny thing is that all these truths are of equal value even if contradicting each other.

Otto
"There is no ultimate truth, everyone has his/her own truth" - Quirine--

Would you say that this truth you have put forward is ultimately true?

The problem with statements like this is that they are subtley self contradictory. If what you are saying is not ultimately true for all of us then you have no right to state it so assertively for the rest of us. You might as well say "everyone has their own truth , or at least that's true for me but it might not be for others".

People who believe in relative , personal truth with no absolutes cannot state this truth with any certainty , if they do they are sawing off the very branch they are sitting on.

How certain are you that there is no ultimate truth? If you are certain of it , then what is your certainty based on if you don't hold your truth to be ultimately true for all of us?

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jan 08

Originally posted by knightmeister
The problem with statements like this is that they are subtley self contradictory.
Ahh, but you misted the fact that he, (just like you like to do), redefined the meaning of the word 'truth'. Thus his claims may still remain valid as we don't really know what he means by 'truth'. If he was using a more common definition then you could simply dismiss his statement as nonsense anyway.

Q
Tovenaar

Dieren

Moves
22 Jan 08

Originally posted by knightmeister
"There is no ultimate truth, everyone has his/her own truth" - Quirine--

Would you say that this truth you have put forward is ultimately true?

The problem with statements like this is that they are subtley self contradictory. If what you are saying is not ultimately true for all of us then you have no right to state it so assertively for the re ...[text shortened]... your certainty based on if you don't hold your truth to be ultimately true for all of us?
I didn't want to repeat myself again and again always saying "I think" with every sentence