1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 11:15
    i just thought about the soul and i wondered, what could possibly "live on" after death? i came up w/ a metaphor; i believe the bible speaks of the soul as a metaphor. if your soul "perishes" in hell, you must have led a life full of dishonour. if your soul ascends to heaven, then you are honoured for your death. if you live a good life, you will be remembered as a good man, and your sould will live in eternity. i believe this is what the bible really intends to say about the soul; the soul is not real.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 11:22
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i just thought about the soul and i wondered, what could possibly "live on" after death? i came up w/ a metaphor; i believe the bible speaks of the soul as a metaphor. if your soul "perishes" in hell, you must have led a life full of dishonour. if your soul ascends to heaven, then you are honoured for your death. if you live a good life, you will be re ...[text shortened]... i believe this is what the bible really intends to say about the soul; the soul is not real.
    If you are not a theist, then you have no good reason whatsoever for believing that "The Bible" contains a single coherent message.
    It is quite possible that some of the writers / characters of the Bible had the idea you do, but I find it highly unlikely. For a start, one would expect them to actually say so.
    Although theists do tend to be remarkably vague about the soul, I suspect that a lot of them would not agree with (or like) your idea. There is no reason to believe that theists at the times that the Bible was written were any different.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 11:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you are not a theist, then you have no good reason whatsoever for believing that "The Bible" contains a single coherent message.
    It is quite possible that some of the writers / characters of the Bible had the idea you do, but I find it highly unlikely. For a start, one would expect them to actually say so.
    Although theists do tend to be remarkably va ...[text shortened]... no reason to believe that theists at the times that the Bible was written were any different.
    it seems likely that it could be no more than a religion based on beliefs about how to live life and nothing more.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 11:46
    it seems likely that it could be no more than a religion based on beliefs about how to live life and nothing more.
    It seems even more likely that for some weird psychological reason, you want the Bible to make sense and not be outright wrong.
    Are you going to apply the same to all other religions? Its not the first time I have heard someone declare that they have come to some new religious insight and realized that every major religion actually agrees with them and that anyone who disagrees is simply someone who has 'lost their way'.
    If you however pause and think about it rationally, you will realise that the Bible most emphatically does not agree with you.
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 11:51
    It seems even more likely that for some weird psychological reason, you want the Bible to make sense and not be outright wrong.
    Are you going to apply the same to all other religions? Its not the first time I have heard someone declare that they have come to some new religious insight and realized that every major religion actually agrees with them and t ...[text shortened]... bout it rationally, you will realise that the Bible most emphatically does not agree with you.
    religion is the last thing i want. i do not in any way want to make Christianity work for me. i just wouldn't mind making sense out of it, if at all possible.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 11:56
    religion is the last thing i want. i do not in any way want to make Christianity work for me. i just wouldn't mind making sense out of it, if at all possible.
    Do you also want to make sense out of Islaam, Judaism and Hinduism? What sort of 'sense'? Why does is seem to matter to you that the 'origional' religion made sense even when you admit that the current followers do not.
    And what is so wrong about the obvious - they are deluded!
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 12:00
    Do you also want to make sense out of Islaam, Judaism and Hinduism? What sort of 'sense'? Why does is seem to matter to you that the 'origional' religion made sense even when you admit that the current followers do not.
    And what is so wrong about the obvious - they are deluded!
    Christianity is the most discussed here; i have no interest in discussing other religions to an audience of Christians. i had a theory; maybe somebody else thought of it already before me, but i just want to see everyone's opinion. also, from my experience, you can make just about any story fit some sort of "metaphor", so it isn't something reliable to go by.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 13:01
    Christianity is the most discussed here; i have no interest in discussing other religions to an audience of Christians.
    You cant seem to keep your story straight. First you think the Bible has a specific message, then you want to make sense of Christianity, now its merely a discussion?

i had a theory; maybe somebody else thought of it already before me,
    They certainly have. I have met Christians who after much thought about the soul realized that they could not in any meaningful way get to heaven and thus came up with ideas about how Christianity and heaven etc is really all about how you live your life here on earth.
    And as I mentioned before, you are certainly not the first to claim that the Bible can be interpreted in some radical new way which happens to match their own latest idea - and that all the Christians are just off track.
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 18:41
    You cant seem to keep your story straight. First you think the Bible has a specific message, then you want to make sense of Christianity, now its merely a discussion?

[b]i had a theory; maybe somebody else thought of it already before me,

They certainly have. I have met Christians who after much thought about the soul realized that they could not ...[text shortened]... y which happens to match their own latest idea - and that all the Christians are just off track.[/b]
    yes, but in no way am i trying to make Christianity fit to what i want it to be, i don't give a damn about Christianity... i just wonder if it was really intended to be interpreted the way it is widely interpreted today because it seems more logical for it to all be a metaphor.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 18:42
    i just thought about the soul and i wondered, what could possibly "live on" after death? i came up w/ a metaphor; i believe the bible speaks of the soul as a metaphor. if your soul "perishes" in hell, you must have led a life full of dishonour. if your soul ascends to heaven, then you are honoured for your death. if you live a good life, you will be re ...[text shortened]... i believe this is what the bible really intends to say about the soul; the soul is not real.
    I love having my souls massaged.

Feet. Whatever.
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 21:13
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I love having my souls massaged.

Feet. Whatever.
    No your soul is separate that's what keeps you alive, you will get your body back on the last day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree