1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 20:29
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    As far as I'm aware, one can only travel forward in time.
    It's to do with acceleration. The example of the two watches makes it clear that if you project one at extreme speeds one way and then bring it back at that same speed, that the time of the watch on Earth will be lagging. So the watch you've shot around has went forward in time.

However, the w ...[text shortened]... er went back caused it to happen that way anyways.

Wormholes? I'm not into bestiality.
    does the person shot into travel feel the time passing faster or does the person feel no difference?
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 23:34
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    does the person shot into travel feel the time passing faster or does the person feel no difference?
    The person feels real time.

Look at it this way.
    You fly into space at 1 light year a minute. Travel one light year and then come back to earth.
    You've been away 2 light years. So the person feels like he's been travelling 2 minutes.
    But when he comes back to Earth he's two years -2 minutes, in the future.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 23:44
    The person feels real time.

Look at it this way.
    You fly into space at 1 light year a minute. Travel one light year and then come back to earth.
    You've been away 2 light years. So the person feels like he's been travelling 2 minutes.
    But when he comes back to Earth he's two years -2 minutes, in the future.
    Not quite. Look up "Twin Paradox" for details.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 00:07
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Not quite. Look up "Twin Paradox" for details.
    Twin paradax's were abscibed the Dilationas in the stief Fractum, and if theye weren'wt going t jade vkussfkkykk ir i a=Talabeih...

Yeag,, wgaat are you talkning about?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 00:55
    if one could travel back in time or forward in time, does that imply that predetermination would exist? if so, would that imply that a god exists?
    Aren't we travelling forward in time at the moment?
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 01:121 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Aren't we travelling forward in time at the moment?
    well i think you know what i meant, but if you are being serious then it sounds almost like youre saying that since spacetime exists at all that there is predetermination 😕
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 01:37
    well i think you know what i meant, but if you are being serious then it sounds almost like youre saying that since spacetime exists at all that there is predetermination 😕
    Perhaps you mean a quicker type of time-travel?

Anyway, I do not see the connection between time-travel and predeterminism.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 02:28
    Perhaps you mean a quicker type of time-travel?

Anyway, I do not see the connection between time-travel and predeterminism.
    if you traveled through time, there would be something happening at the time that you arrived in. therefore, w/e was going on at that time would have to be known by somebody. unless you believe that if you went to point A on a monday and went to point A on a tuesday that the events going on would be different and just random.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 02:39
    if you traveled through time, there would be something happening at the time that you arrived in. therefore, w/e was going on at that time would have to be known by somebody. unless you believe that if you went to point A on a monday and went to point A on a tuesday that the events going on would be different and just random.
    I am not sure I understand you. If I travelled forward in time, that only proves that there is a future. It does not prove that such a future was predetermined. If I went forward in time and then returned, there is no reason to expect that the future I viewed then will ever eventuate. I will only have known a future.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 14:00
    Actually no.
    We only perceive time as going from A to B. Time, however, is a dimension. So all things are happening at all times. We just think they're moving from now till then.

If you moved forward in time you would only see what's happening "now", but then. Anything you did to change that, would only be what was going to happen anyway.
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 19:07
    Actually no.
    We only perceive time as going from A to B. Time, however, is a dimension. So all things are happening at all times. We just think they're moving from now till then.

If you moved forward in time you would only see what's happening "now", but then. Anything you did to change that, would only be what was going to happen anyway.
    Huh?
  12. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 19:511 edit
    I'm a bubble physicist, not a particle physicist, but in one of my courses back in college, the use of Feynman diagrams proposes that an anti-particle is a particle going back in time. i.e. an electron meeting a positron and both turning into energy equal to both their masses times c squared is not mass/energy conversion, but rather the energy emitted to convert the electrons momentum into the -time direction. Essentially, the positron is the same electron, but moving backwards in time.
    This got me to thinking, would that mean that the electron and the positron, being the same particle at different points in time are quantumly entangled? If this is the case, could it not be used aas a form of communication between times. I have a positron here in 2008, my great great grandson has the corresponding electron in the year 2108. By flipping the spin of my positron for instance, the same change would be seen in the future electron, would it not? And also apply backwards, should he flip the spin of his electron, I see the corresponding flip in my positron...
    Could quantum entanglement apply across the temporal dimension as well as the spatial dimensions, allowing two way communication between time periods?
    It's not time travel, but I'd be content with information transfer.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Jan '08 21:47
    As far as I'm aware, one can only travel forward in time.
    It's to do with acceleration. The example of the two watches makes it clear that if you project one at extreme speeds one way and then bring it back at that same speed, that the time of the watch on Earth will be lagging. So the watch you've shot around has went forward in time.

However, the w ...[text shortened]... er went back caused it to happen that way anyways.

Wormholes? I'm not into bestiality.
    That example relies too heavily on the accuracy (consistency) of the timepiece. Too many variables to conclude that irregular time travel actually occured.
  14. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 21:35
    Originally posted by agryson
    I'm a bubble physicist, not a particle physicist, but in one of my courses back in college, the use of Feynman diagrams proposes that an anti-particle is a particle going back in time. i.e. an electron meeting a positron and both turning into energy equal to both their masses times c squared is not mass/energy conversion, but rather the energy emitted to con ...[text shortened]... on between time periods?
    It's not time travel, but I'd be content with information transfer.
    In my course our teacher was always stressing that as compelling as they may seem Feynaman diagrams are only schematic tools and not the physics themselves.
    In what I read of Feynman he too never said that he took his diagrams litterally but only that they great time savers on doing calculations.
  15. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 21:55
    I am not sure I understand you. If I travelled forward in time, that only proves that there is a future. It does not prove that such a future was predetermined. If I went forward in time and then returned, there is no reason to expect that the future I viewed then will ever eventuate. I will only have known a future.
    Would the same apply if you went back in time?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree