1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Indeed no amount of Biblical evidence can convince the truly deluded. If they want to listen to gibberish, let them, its no less than they deserve.
    So, what have we done to deserve your gibberish?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:40
    Indeed no amount of Biblical evidence can convince the truly deluded. If they want to listen to gibberish, let them, its no less than they deserve.
    Interesting that they all ignore Pauls advice for such tongues to be interpreted otherwise it is of no use to the congregation .. a waste of time really according to Paul. I have never come across anyone claiming to understand this tongues speaking far less for a congregation to hear an interpretation. Im not doubting that it could happen. Just that true speaking in tongues is a rarity.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 18:50
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    1 Corinthians 14:
    13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding ...[text shortened]... here are more than one type of gifts of
    tongues, if you are going to talk about it be specific.
    1 Corinthians 13:1:

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 19:09
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Interesting that they all ignore Pauls advice for such tongues to be interpreted otherwise it is of no use to the congregation .. a waste of time really according to Paul. I have never come across anyone claiming to understand this tongues speaking far less for a congregation to hear an interpretation. Im not doubting that it could happen. Just that true speaking in tongues is a rarity.
    Paul was talking of translating from one language into another as oftens happens, he was not talking of translating gibberish into a recognisable format. All that speaking in tongues ever was, was the miraculous ability to speak other languages.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    So, what have we done to deserve your gibberish?
    Nothing its complimentary, your lucky day 😀
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 19:17
    Originally posted by vivify

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."
    He will claim that they already have love because they believe in Christ .. its automatic.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 22:151 edit
    Originally posted by vivify

Thanks, forgot about that one.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 23:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Thanks, forgot about that one.
    Apparently you forgot a lot of passages... Paul said everything is nothing .. faith is nothing without charity [brotherly love], prophesies is nothing without charity, tongues is nothing without charity.

Same thing Christ said. All Christ is interested is in how you are able give of yourself and your time and your resources to those in need.

THAT IS THE KEY TO ETERNAL LIFE....
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 01:14
    Apparently you forgot a lot of passages... Paul said everything is nothing .. faith is nothing without charity [brotherly love], prophesies is nothing without charity, tongues is nothing without charity.

Same thing Christ said. All Christ is interested is in how you are able give of yourself and your time and your resources to those in need.

So I guess God made a mistake mentioning tongues in the bible? Because people like you are too confused to understand what it's all about?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 01:181 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    So I guess God made a mistake mentioning tongues in the bible? Because people like you are too confused to understand what it's all about?
    Why do you say Im confused?

Anyway I was just reading 1 Cor 13 again and saw this. What do you make of it:

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

The GREATEST thing is brotherly love or charity. Its not faith, or knowledge or hope.
    Christ said the same thing.
    James as well.
    So did John
    Peter too

How is it that modern Christianity not believing that?
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 01:381 edit
    The fact of the matter is that those who had the gift of speaking in tongues spoke a specific language, thus anyone you hear talking gibberish is certainly a fraud.

And tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed, and one came to rest on each one of them, and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in [b ...[text shortened]... ans we hear them speaking [b]in our languages
    about the magnificent things of God. - Acts 2[/b]
    It still stands............

Speaking in tongues means to speak about spiritual substance/topics, instead of mundane topics.

Thats all it means ..........and anything to the contrary is speculation.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 03:28

I'm sorry, did I say tongues was more important than love?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 03:46
    Why do you say Im confused?

Anyway I was just reading 1 Cor 13 again and saw this. What do you make of it:

[b]1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

The GREATEST thing is brotherly love or charity. Its not faith, or knowledge or hope.
    Christ said the same thing.
    James as well.
    So did John
    Peter too

How is it that modern Christianity not believing that?[/b]
    1 Cor 14:5
    I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
    KJV

You seem to ignore the first part of this verse...
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 04:521 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I am amazed at the ignorance of some here, who claim to be "spiritual."
    Speaking in tongues (SIT) was designed by God and has purpose.
    Those who don't understand it's purpose call it gibberish or a sham to their own hurt.
    Here are only 7 reasons why every believer should SIT. There are many more...

[quote]

Reason Number One

The Word of God te ...[text shortened]... anyone thinks it is foolishness or gibberish, I say, take it up with God because He invented it!
    What good does it do the body of Christ if they do not understand the prayer? This is what Jesus said....
    “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."

(Matthew 6:5-6 NKJV)

So if you are going to pray in tongues without interpretation, then do it in secret.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 04:52
    Originally posted by Dasa
    It still stands............

Speaking in tongues means to speak about spiritual substance/topics, instead of mundane topics.

Thats all it means ..........and anything to the contrary is speculation.
    In your faith maybe, but if you want to understand the Biblical reasons, you need to go to
    the Bible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree