Spiritual Quotes II

Spiritual Quotes II

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Feb 13
3 edits

Preface

Years and years ago, Ivanhoe started a thread called Spiritual Quotes. What is a “spiritual quote”? It need not be religious; humanistic, philosophical and scientific quotes were fully welcome. Fundamentally, but without a strict definition, it is any quote that might inspire or reflect the human emotion of awe and wonder vis-à-vis some dimension of our existence, as the individual perceives it; or simply an expression of an existential understanding that the poster finds meaningful—including both the religious and the anti-religious, serious and humorous, etc., etc..

The protocol, to which people pretty much adhered for years, was that any argument that a quote prompted would be removed to another thread—although there was always some commentary that peppered the thread. Eventually, that protocol collapsed, and the thread degenerated into extended arguments until nobody bothered posting on it.

For those who want to look at the original (now closed) “Spiritual Quotes” thread, you can start here: http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=20465&page=1.

I thought that perhaps we might have a go at it again . . .

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Feb 13

One Shabbos afternoon, Reb Reuven called me into his study. He was sitting behind his desk and motioned me to take the chair across from him. A volume of the Zohar was lying open in front of him.

“Do you know what the Zohar is?” he asked.

“Of course,” I said. “It is a mystical commentary on Torah written by Moshe de Leon, a thirteenth century Spanish kabbalist who....”

“Nonsense!” he yelled at me, half rising out of his chair. “The Zohar isn’t just a commentary; it’s a Torah all by itself. It is a new Torah, a new telling of the last Torah. You do know what Torah is, don’t you?”

Suspecting that I didn’t, and afraid to invoke his wrath a second time, I waited silently, certain that he would answer his own question. I was not disappointed.

“Torah is story. God is story. Israel is story. You, my university-educated soon-to-be a liberal pain in the ass rabbi, are a story. We are all stories! We are all Torahs!...Listen, Rami,” Reuven said in a softer voice. “Torah starts with the word b’reisheet,* ‘Once upon a time!’”

—Rami Shapiro, Hasidic Tales

* Conventionally translated as “in the beginning” or “with beginning” or “when God began…”.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Feb 13

“The infinite transcends every particular content of faith.”

—Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook (former Ashkenazic Chief Rabbi of Palestine), quoted in Daniel Matt, The Essential Kabbalah.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Feb 13

Everything in the universe is connected, everything is osmosis. You cannot separate any part from the whole: interdependence rules the cosmic order.

—Taisen Deshimaru roshi

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Feb 13

If we truly look at life and try not to miss a detail, the earnest seeker of information will find answers to whatever he truly desires to know, even the impossible.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Feb 13

Do we ride our animals everyday just to feed them and rest them at night for no reason? The horse is content, it is you that is moving.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Feb 13

Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by vistesd
[b]Preface

Years and years ago, Ivanhoe started a thread called Spiritual Quotes. What is a “spiritual quote”? It need not be religious; humanistic, philosophical and scientific quotes were fully welcome. Fundamentally, but without a strict definition, it is any quote that might inspire or reflect the human emotion of awe and wonder vis-à-vis some ...[text shortened]... read.php?threadid=20465&page=1.

I thought that perhaps we might have a go at it again . . .[/b]
(Referring to that earlier thread)
Thanks for that trip down memory lane. I cant believe I've been here that long already. And thanks for the reminder of daniel 58. It seems the forum has balanced itself out again with the arrival of RJ to fill his huge size 13 shoes 🙂

All is well, I didn't want to get off on the wrong foot, but I also feel a sense of balance to what I write 🙂

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Feb 13

Originally posted by rwingett
Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the eart ...[text shortened]... part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
I intend to live large!

—Shatika, one of my wife’s former students.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Feb 13

Blessed be the man who knows his own stench and loves it and breathes it daily, unashamedly, for he is the truest of fools, and he is king.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Feb 13

“Western philosophy goes ‘thesis, antithesis, synthesis’. Judaism goes ‘thesis, antithesis, antithesis, antithesis . . .’.”

—The rabbi in Joann Sfar’s graphic novel The Rabbi’s Cat

Such an ongoing, open-ended dialectic is one of the techniques (along with poetry, deliberate paradox, and the like) that Judaism uses to avoid the idolatry of the frozen concept.

Moves
27 Feb 13

"There is no such thing as waste"

w

Moves
01 Mar 13

"Only a fool says within his heart there is no God."

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
02 Mar 13

Ecology and spirituality are fundamentally connected, because deep ecological awareness, ultimately, is spiritual awareness.

- Fritjov Capra

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
02 Mar 13

"God is the tangential point between zero and infinity."

"We shall not have succeeded in demolishing everything unless we demolish the ruins as well. But the only way I can see of doing that is to use them to put up a lot of fine, well-designed buildings."

Alfred Jarry