Spiritual Quotes

Spiritual Quotes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
15 Apr 07

The Holy Lies Between

The holy lies between and underneath your thoughts,
along the creek-beds where the spirit-heron stalks
the sunlight in the stream, the scattered sparks of dream—

The holy wanders free, a wild unfettered wind
refusing to be held in idols of the mind—
Beyond ideas, where your words are only air

that casts no shadow in the heron’s lightning eye,
and silence overcomes all creeds with mystery,
where all horizons fade, in heron’s haunted glade:
the holy there is seen—beyond and in between.

—SD

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
17 Apr 07

Li Po Considers the Moon in the Shape of an Olive

I pop some pills. And there, I’ve forgotten all of it.
And all of what follows.

--Brian Kim Stefans

g

Moves
21 Apr 07

There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

-Dalai Lama

w

Moves
21 Apr 07
1 edit

I've got no one to blame but you. You've got no one to blame but me. I say we are both right.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
21 Apr 07

Originally posted by gentlegil
There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

-Dalai Lama
a government that decides what's right for the people to do in their private lives ,,,, SUCKS THE BIG ONE:::

me

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Apr 07

Not to me, but to the Logos hearkening, it is wise to acknowledge that all are one.

—Heraclitus (Fragment 50)

JJ

Moves
25 Apr 07

"Always look on the bright side of life !"

Monty P.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
15 May 07

At the same time it is less and less plausible to conceive God in the thought-graven image of a transcendental monarch modeled on the Pharaohs and Cyruses... The God of mystical experience may not be the ethically obstreperous and precisely defined autocrat beloved of religious authoritarians; but as an experience, not concept, as vividly real as indefinable, this God does not violate the intellectual conscience, the aesthetic imagination, or religious intuition. A Christianity which is not basically mystical must become either a political ideology or a mindless fundamentalism. This is, indeed, already happening, and it is curious to note that, for lack of the mystical element, both trends fall back on the Bible as their basic inspiration—and it has always struck me that Biblical idolatry is one of the most depressing and sterile fixations of the religious mind.

—Alan Watts, in Behold the Spirit, 1947.

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
16 May 07

"Do not be excessively righteous and do not be overly wise. Why should you ruin yourself?"

Ecclesiastes 7:16

s

Moves
17 May 07

"Be not decieved. God is not mocked. For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."
--Galatians 6:7

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
28 May 07

"If men get into a fight with one another, and the wife of one intervenes to rescue her husband from the grip of his opponent by reaching out and seizing his genitals, you shall cut off her hand; show no pity."

Deuteronomy 25:11,12

Hmmm . . .

Moves
19 Jun 07

The light of the Infinite One is without form and only takes shape—for good or bad—in the recipient. Therefore it is up to us. We have to do our best to shape God’s light into blessing, not curse.

—Rebbe Nachman of Bratslav

Hmmm . . .

Moves
09 Jul 07

Achilles: You certainly are exuberant today.

Tortoise: I have good reason to be. My aunt, who is a fortune-teller, told me that a stroke of Good Fortune would befall me today. So I am tingling with anticipation.

Achilles: Don’t tell me you believe in fortune-telling!

Tortoise: No. . . but they say it works even if you don’t believe in it.

Achilles: Well, that’s fortunate indeed.

—Douglas R. Hodstadter, from “Little Harmonic Labyrinth,” in Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

vv

Moves
10 Jul 07

We ought not to be weary of doing little things for the love of God,
who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed.

Brother Lawence
"Practicing the presence of God"

vv

Moves
10 Jul 07

Originally posted by ivanhoe

"Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair."

Gilbert K. Chesterton
A love affair to be sure.
Brother Lawence is quoted in the book Practicing the presence of God:
" We ought not grow weary of doing little things for the love of God, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love by which it is performed."