Spiritual Quotes

Spiritual Quotes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
11 Jul 07

The sea will be the sea,

whatever the waterdrop’s philosophy.

—Attar

S

Moves
11 Jul 07

I'll be back - Voltaire (the great satirist)

e

Moves
12 Jul 07

Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
"If men get into a fight with one another, and the wife of one intervenes to rescue her husband from the grip of his opponent by reaching out and seizing his genitals, you shall cut off her hand; show no pity."

Deuteronomy 25:11,12
Being no scholar of the bible, I had to look this one up for myself so intriguing is the passage.

In the version I have it reads, 11When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:
12Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her.

I suppose after she's grasped her husband's aggressor securely, the secrets are henceforth out...

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
12 Jul 07

Originally posted by eagles54
Being no scholar of the bible, I had to look this one up for myself so intriguing is the passage.

In the version I have it reads, 11When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:
12Then thou shal ...[text shortened]... after she's grasped her husband's aggressor securely, the secrets are henceforth out...
The great thing about verses like this is that if they needed saying, somebody was probably doing it.

"There's been a disturbing trend of scrotal seizing lately, and we need to put a stop to it!"

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Jul 07

The great thing about verses like this is that if they needed saying, somebody was probably doing it.

"There's been a disturbing trend of scrotal seizing lately, and we need to put a stop to it!"
🙂 I'm glad some things have changed; I had to look that one up
myself and I've read the whole Bible more than once. It didn't
register with me.
Kelly

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Jul 07

It's funny that it's limited to that one specific type of attack. You'd think they'd anticipate women breaking up the fight in other ways. The command should read:
Thine women shall not break up a fight between men by kicking the junk, punching the junk, grabbing the junk, or any manner that involves contact with said junk. Thou shalt not assault the junk with weapons, sticks, or items of any kind. Thou shalt not endeavor to maneuver the fighters in such a way as to expose junk to environmental danger of any kind (uneven terrain, sharp rocks, etc.).

Then again, these people advocated circumcision...

b
Buzzardus Maximus

Moves
12 Jul 07

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Then again, these people advocated circumcision...
Yeah, but that just means that they wanted to nip the junk in the bud.

L

Moves
21 Aug 07

"If you fight fire with fire, you will just make a bigger fire. Yes. But if you fight fire with crystals, and ice bulbs, you will put the fire out and the crystals will turn to diamonds!"

--Daxflame

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
21 Aug 07

I...lies.

Peter Whitehead

Hmmm . . .

Moves
28 Aug 07

The neo-Platonic sympathies of the Church fathers impelled the theology of the Western monotheistic religions to the orthodox philosophical stance that to see God as existent we must conceive of him as a being, a substance of some (presumably very nonstandard) sort. To the pleasure of philosophers and the vexation of theologians, this has opened up a host of theological difficulties. For example: (1) On the classical conception of the matter, a substance must always originate from substances. Q: Whence God? A: From himself; he is causa sui. (2) Substances generally have contingent properties. Q: Does God? A: No; he is in all respects (self) necessitated. (3) Substances standardly have spatiotemporal emplacement. Q: Does God? A: No; he, unlike standard substances, exists altogether outside place and time. And so on. No sooner has Western theology made God a substance in order to satisfy its ontological predilections than it has to break all the rules for substances and take away with one hand what it seemed to give us with the other.

—Nicholas Rescher, Process Philosophy: A Survey of Basic Issues, University of Pittsburgh Press, 2000.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
07 Sep 07

Sir, I have no need for that hypothesis.

—Laplace

w

Moves
08 Sep 07

Live your witness by your life; use words if necessary.

Francis of Assisi.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
09 Sep 07

There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be paid heavily for their acquiring. They are the very simplest things, and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.

—Ernest Hemingway

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
09 Sep 07

Originally posted by gentlegil
There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

-Dalai Lama
"At least now that China is legislating reincarnation. That was our best trick."

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
09 Sep 07

Originally posted by Wallie
Whatever you may think of theists, sometimes they have humour (however, I suspect that only atheists will find this funny):

Text on a sign (somewhere in south of the USA):

"Please God, send us someone to cure cancer, AIDS and the other deseases!"

"I did, but you aborted him!"
I am an atheist, and it is funny. 🙂