Spiritual Quotes

Spiritual Quotes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
01 Jan 09

The primary preoccupation of biblical teaching is not the existence of God, theism as contrasted with atheism, but the fight against idolatry. In all theism there is the danger of idolatry. All theism is idolatry, since expression signifies it, thereby freezing it; except if, somehow, its discourse refutes itself and so becomes atheistic. In other words, the paradoxes of language and its meanings are such that the only discourse possible about God which is not idolatrous is an atheistic discourse. Or: in any discourse the only God that is not an idol is a God who is not ‘God’.”

—H. Atlan, quoted in Marc-Alain Ouaknin, The Burnt Book: Reading the Talmud[/i].

Ouaknin adds: “All the masters of Jewish thought, from the prophets to the contemporary masters, have understood that….”

Hmmm . . .

Moves
01 Jan 09

Every definition of God leads to heresy; definition is spiritual idolatry. Even attributing mind and will to God, even attributing divinity itself, and the name ‘God’—these, too, are definitions. Were it not for the subtle awareness that all these are just sparkling flashes of that which transcends definition—these, too, would engender heresy. ...

The greatest impediment to the human spirit results from the fact that the conception of God is fixed in a particular form, due to childish habit and imagination. This is a spark of the defect of idolatry, of which we must always be aware. ...

The infinite transcends every particular content of faith.

—Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook (former Ashkenazic Chief Rabbi of Palestine), quoted in Daniel Matt The Essential Kabbalah.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
01 Jan 09

Originally posted by vistesd
Every definition of God leads to heresy; definition is spiritual idolatry. Even attributing mind and will to God, even attributing divinity itself, and the name ‘God’—these, too, are definitions. Were it not for the subtle awareness that all these are just sparkling flashes of that which transcends definition—these, too, would engender heresy. ...

The gr ...[text shortened]... ormer Ashkenazic Chief Rabbi of Palestine), quoted in Daniel Matt The Essential Kabbalah.
The abstract ideas have a unique existence, and from this existence springs the power that formulates the flows of energy. The individual is aware of this fact as soon as he becomes an advanced student of the immortal game😵

black beetle

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
01 Jan 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
here one for beetle

Our mind is all we've got. Not that it won't lead us astray sometimes, but we still have to analyze things out within ourselves." -- Bobby Fischer
🙂

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
05 Jan 09

The historian, be he Christian or non-Christian, may not know whether God will fully triumph within history. He cannot conclusively demonstrate the validity of the Christian understanding of history. Yet he can establish a strong probability for the dependability of its insights. That is the most which can be expected of human reason in any of the realms of knowledge.

-Kenneth Scott Latourette

Presidential address delivered at the annual meeting of the American Historical Association in Washington on December 29, 1948. American Historical Review 54: 2 (January 1949): 259-76.

http://www.historians.org/info/AHA_history/kslatourette.htm

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
31 Jan 09

Believe in your own abilities and have the confidence to face up to challenges

John Nunn

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
06 Feb 09

Jesus was a Sosialist

rwingett

L

Moves
18 Feb 09

Hope is important, because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. But that is the most that hope can do for us -- to make some hardship lighter. When I think deeply about the nature of hope, I see something tragic. Since we cling to our hope in the future, we do not focus our energies and capabilities on the present moment. We use hope to believe something better will happen in the future, that we will arrive at peace, or the Kingdom of God. Hope becomes a kind of obstacle. If you can refrain from hoping, you can bring yourself entirely into the present moment and discover the joy that is already here.

Enlightenment, peace, and joy will not be granted by someone else. The well is within us, and if we dig deeply in the present moment, the water will spring forth. We must go back to the present moment in order to be really alive....

Western civilization places so much emphasis on the idea of hope that we sacrifice the present moment. Hope is for the future. It cannot help us discover joy, peace, or enlightenment in the present moment. Many religions are based on the notion of hope, and this teaching about refraining from hope may create a strong reaction. But the shock can bring about something important. I do not mean that you should not have hope, but that hope is not enough. Hope can create an obstacle for you, and if you dwell in the energy of hope, you will not bring yourself back entirely into the present moment. If you re-channel those energies into being aware of what is going on in the present moment, you will be able to make a breakthrough and discover joy and peace right in the present moment, inside of yourself and all around you.

--Thich Nhat Hanh from Peace is Every Step

Hmmm . . .

Moves
20 Feb 09

Insanity may be a sane reaction to an insane world.

—R.D. Laing

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
24 Feb 09

Originally posted by vistesd
Insanity may be a sane reaction to an insane world.

—R.D. Laing
Craziness is just a forgotten path

Mahabharatta

Illinois

Moves
02 Mar 09

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens."

~ Jimi Hendrix

j

Moves
02 Mar 09

"Reality is for people who can't cope with drugs."

Dick Gregory

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Mar 09

Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman. Believing what he read made him mad.

—George Bernard Shaw

j

Moves
05 Mar 09

"Sometimes I feel that I don't belong to this world at all."

Franze Schubert

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
05 Mar 09

I always feel I am a narrow bridge over the gap of Time between Spirit and Form😵