1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 05:36
    Spirituality: Quotations

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." -C.S. Lewis

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." -C.S. Lewis

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'" -C.S. Lewis

"God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing." -C.S. Lewis

"With gratitude to Him, In Whom we dwell." -R.B. Thieme III

A few of yours?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 05:42
    “Once a King in Narnia, always a King in Narnia"

CS Lewis
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 08:43
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life." - Jesus the Christ

The Instructor
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 11:39
    "Everything you add to the truth subtracts from the truth. When truth is discovered
    by someone else, it loses something of its attractiveness." -Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 14:11
    The conditions of a solitary bird are five:

The first, that it flies to the highest point;
    The second, that it does not suffer for company, not even of its own kind;
    The third, that it aims its beak to the skies;
    The fourth, that it does not have a definite color;
    The fifth, that it sings very softly.

—San Juan de la Cruz, “Sayings of Light and Love”
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    "The first Spiritual Quotes thread was started by Ivanhoe in March 2005, and lasted a good long time (into July 2009), and offered a rich potpourri of material from a variety of traditions. It also included more philosophical quotes (as the Spirituality Forum was, from the get-go also the de facto philosophy forum). But along the way, it had become somewhat fractious, as some folks decided it was a good place to start arguments about the quotes—and it started to break down as a result.

My plea is for the voluntary protocol that allowed that thread to flourish as long as it did: quotes (with perhaps a brief commentary by the person submitting the quotes)—not debate; if you want to argue over a particular quote, please start another thread. That is just a request, of course, as anybody is free to post as they see fit." (A Plea for Grampy's "Spirituality: Quotations" Thread)

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Of course. You've described the thread's going in assumption (and could have included this "Plea" there with your quote)."
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 15:382 edits
    "The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie (deliberate, contrived, and dishonest)
    but the myth (persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic)." -John F. Kennedy

In chess and life, "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 16:32
    [b]Spirituality: Quotations

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." -C.S. Lewis

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." -C. ...[text shortened]...

A few of yours?[/b]
    We do not "come into" this world; we come out of it, as leaves from a tree. As the ocean "waves," the universe "peoples." Every individual is an expression of the whole realm of nature, a unique action of the total universe. This fact is rarely, if ever, experienced by most individuals. Even those who know it to be true in theory do not sense or feel it, but continue to be aware of themselves as isolated "egos" inside bags of skin. -- Alan Watts
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 21:52
    [b]Spirituality: Quotations

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." -C. ...[text shortened]...

A few of yours?[/b]
    When I was a kid I had an imaginary friend and I used to think that he
    went everywhere with me, and that I could talk to him and that he could
    hear me, and that he could grant me wishes and stuff. And then I grew up,
    and I stopped going to church.

Jimmy Carr
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '13 22:56
    "There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing,
    but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.” -Blaise Pascal, Pensées
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 00:17
    "There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing,
    but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.” -Blaise Pascal, Pensées
    There is a vacuum shaped god in the cupboard of every man which cannot be filled by every created thing lest the guarantee be invalidated.
    Hoover
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 00:21
    Philosophy begins with wonder.
    Plato
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 01:02
    "Sans Dieu Rien"
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 01:031 edit
    "If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 02:31
    "If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV
    Ask Allah!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree