1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 20:151 edit
    "'Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."

The room at Guinea Station where Lt. General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson died. Sunday, May 10, 1863.
    Click here to see a brief video of this room (large file).

"On Sunday May 10, 1863, in the bed pictured above, Confederate Lieutenant General Thomas Jonathan Jackson passed from this earth. A devoutly religious man, when notified that he had not long to live, Jackson replied, "It is the Lord's Day. My wish is fulfilled. I have always desired to die on Sunday." His personal physician, Dr. Hunter McGuire, noted his final words. "A few moments before he died he cried out in his delirium, 'Order A.P. Hill to prepare for action! Pass the infantry to the front rapidly! Tell Major Hawks' -- then stopped, leaving the sentence unfinished. Presently a smile of ineffable sweetness spread itself over his pale face, and he said quietly, and with an expression, as if of relief, 'Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."

Captain James Power Smith who "all night long" kept his General "warmly wrapped and undisturbed in his sleep" would also later write: "And here, against our hopes, notwithstanding the skill and care of wise and watchful surgeons, attended day and night by wife and friends, amid the prayers and tears of all the Southern land, thinking not of himself, but of the cause he loved, and for the troops who had followed him so well and given him so great a name, our chief sank, day by day, with symptoms of pneumonia and some pains of pleurisy, until, 3:15 P.M. on the quiet of the Sabbath afternoon, May 10th, 1863, he raised himself from his bed, saying, " No, no, let us pass over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"; and, falling again to his pillow, he passed away, over the river, where, in a land where warfare is not known or feared, he rests forever 'under the trees.'"

Chancellorsville Jackson Monument Inscription: "He rests forever under the trees"

http://brotherswar.com/Chancellorsville-7.htm

Comment: What had he to fear? Nothing. He was going home to be with someone he loved.
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 20:44
    "But pleasures are like poppies spread,
    You sieze the flower, its bloom is shed;
    Or like the snow falls in the river,
    A moment white -then melts for ever;
    Or like the borealis race,
    That flit ere you can point their place;
    Or like the rainbow's lovely form
    Evanishing amid the storm."

Our Rabbie
    😵
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 20:47
    Originally posted by black beetle

"But pleasures are like poppies spread,
    You sieze the flower, its bloom is shed;
    Or like the snow falls in the river,
    A moment white -then melts for ever;
    Or like the borealis race,
    That flit ere you can point their place;
    Or like the rainbow's lovely form
    Evanishing amid the storm."

Our Rabbie
    😵
    Nice one.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '13 20:48
    "Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."
    -Blaise Pascal
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 15:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."
    -Blaise Pascal
    My favorite story about the place of story in religious philosophy (and one which I repeat often) is told by Rami Shapiro, in one of his books, Hasidic Tales. Shapiro is a Reconstructionist rabbi, but I think the “Reb Reuven” in the story was Orthodox—

One Shabbos afternoon, Reb Reuven called me into his study. He was sitting behind his desk and motioned me to take the chair across from him. A volume of the Zohar was lying open in front of him.

“Do you know what the Zohar is?” he asked.

“Of course,” I said. “It is a mystical commentary on Torah written by Moshe deLeon, a thirteenth century Spanish kabbalist who....”

“Nonsense!” he yelled at me, half rising out of his chair. “The Zohar isn’t just a commentary; it’s a Torah all by itself. It is a new Torah, a new telling of the last Torah. You do know what Torah is, don’t you?”

Suspecting that I didn’t, and afraid to invoke his wrath a second time, I waited silently, certain that he would answer his own question. I was not disappointed.

“Torah is story. God is story. Israel is story. You, my university-educated soon-to-be a liberal pain in the ass rabbi, are a story. We are all stories! We are all Torahs!...Listen, Rami,” Reuven said in a softer voice. “Torah starts with the word b’reisheet,* ‘Once upon a time!’”

* Conventionally translated as “in the beginning” or “with beginning” or “when God began…”.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Sep '13 17:57
    Originally posted by vistesd
    My favorite story about the place of story in religious philosophy (and one which I repeat often) is told by Rami Shapiro, in one of his books, Hasidic Tales. Shapiro is a Reconstructionist rabbi, but I think the “Reb Reuven” in the story was Orthodox—

One Shabbos afternoon, Reb Reuven called me into his study. He was sitting behind his ...[text shortened]...

* Conventionally translated as “in the beginning” or “with beginning” or “when God began…”.
    "My favorite story about the place of story in religious philosophy (and one which I repeat often) is told by Rami Shapiro, in one of his books, Hasidic Tales. Shapiro is a Reconstructionist rabbi, but I think the “Reb Reuven” in the story was Orthodox—"

vistesd, would there be a few more entertaining stories told by Rami Shapiro in his books you would enjoy telling us here?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 02:261 edit
    "Man plans and God laughs. (Mann tracht und Gott lacht) New! One of our favorites!" (yiddishisms.com)
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 07:53
    Like that one!!
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 07:54
    -Blaise Pascal
    I don't like this quote, it seems to me that nothing of God rests in this
    outside of one trying to cover one's bets.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Sep '13 18:50
    "Jesus is the God whom we can approach without pride and before whom we can humble ourselves without despair."

"In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't."

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
    (All three quotations from Blaise Pascal)
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 08:03
    “Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning,
    we should never have found out that it has no meaning...” C.S. Lewis
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 00:37
    "If you want to get warm you must stand near the fire: if you want to be wet you must get into the water. If you want joy, power, peace, eternal life, you must get close to, or even into, the thing that has them. They are not a sort of prize which God could, if He chose, hand out to anyone. They are a great fountain of energy and beauty spurting up at the very centre of reality. If you are close to it, the spray will wet you: if you are not,, you will remain dry. Once a man is united to God, how could he not live forever? Once a man is separated from God, what can he do but wither and die.” CS Lewis
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 17:53
    Originally posted by KellyJay

I don't like this quote, it seems to me that nothing of God rests in this
    outside of one trying to cover one's bets.
    Kelly
    Kelly, everything rest in responding to His desire for us to be reconciled to Himself by our own uncoerced decision to accept His Grace Gift of Relationship in time and eternity. Pascal offers encouragement to those who may be wavering or unsure.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 19:151 edit
    “Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning,
    we should never have found out that it has no meaning...” C.S. Lewis
    Good one, at once thought provoking and frustrating all reasoned attempts to resolve.

It's a catch-22.

Have we found out the universe has no meaning?

“The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.”
    -- Alan Wilson Watts, The Culture of Counter-Culture: Edited Transcripts
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 21:56
    Think about your own life since earliest toddlerhood when you were attempting to get vertical, so that you could explore your world horizontally. Did you accomplish your growth to physical, social, intellectual and spiritual maturity alone?
    When you wish to instruct, be brief; that men's minds take in quickly
    what you say, learn its lesson, and retain it faithfully. Every word that
    is unnecessary only pours over the side of a brimming mind.

Cicero

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree