1. Maryland
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 07:42
    "God is an acceptable term for ignorance." I have noticed you can often interchange the word god with the word ignorance and the meaning is exactly right. For example, a homophobe will say he believes homosexuality is a sin because of god (ignorance).
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 07:53
    Hence the phrase 'God of the gaps'.

For some reason people feel comforted if they can say 'God did it' about something they do not understand. It doesn't actually bring understanding but it gives the illusion of doing so.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 08:52
    Originally posted by 667joe
    "God is an acceptable term for ignorance." I have noticed you can often interchange the word god with the word ignorance and the meaning is exactly right. For example, a homophobe will say he believes homosexuality is a sin because of god (ignorance).
    GOD IS GOOD

Its a bit simplistic to interchange god with ignorance .. . although I sympathise with the sentiment.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 10:131 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    GOD IS GOOD

Its a bit simplistic to interchange god with ignorance .. . although I sympathise with the sentiment.
    Ignorance is good if one wishes to believe in the theory of evolution and that the universe created itself along with a little life here and there. There are some ignorant enough to think they will receive intelligent radio signals from some advanced life form somwhere out there in distant space, if they just wait long enough for it. They think they are scientists and some fools in washington have provided them grant money to do this nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_for_extraterrestrial_intelligence
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 13:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Ignorance is good if one wishes to believe in the theory of evolution and that the universe created itself along with a little life here and there. There are some ignorant enough to think they will receive intelligent radio signals from some advanced life form somwhere out there in distant space, if they just wait long enough for it. They think they are sc ...[text shortened]... ey to do this nonsense.

You could have waited a little while before proving 667joe's point.
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 00:37
    Ignorance is good if one wishes to believe in the theory of evolution and that the universe created itself along with a little life here and there. There are some ignorant enough to think they will receive intelligent radio signals from some advanced life form somwhere out there in distant space, if they just wait long enough for it. They think they are sc ...[text shortened]... ey to do this nonsense.

When one talks about ignorance no matter which side of the "fence" you sit on the other side is wrong. Is it possible that there is a "God" who created everything?....maybe. Is the "Big Bang" theory the answer?...maybe. The answer I think is all about having an open mind to both ideas. I think that the first theory tends to have more people with minds a little less open than the other side.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 00:44
    Originally posted by 667joe
    I can't find that quote to see if there is context, but it reminds me of "God of the gaps" and "goddidit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Goddidit
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 00:461 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    When one talks about ignorance no matter which side of the "fence" you sit on the other side is wrong. Is it possible that there is a "God" who created everything?....maybe. Is the "Big Bang" theory the answer?...maybe. The answer I think is all about having an open mind to both ideas. I think that the first theory tends to have more people with minds a little less open than the other side.
    The RCC welcomed the BB theory because it confirms the idea that there was an absolute beginning. So creation and BB theory are not necessarily at odds with each other theologically speaking.

edit: RCC = the Vatican, here.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 01:101 edit

I hope you live long enough to eat those words. You can poo poo anything that is not totally worked out and you aren't even wrong, but I rather think the reason you can get away with the crap you spew is simply because science is still in diapers, only been around for a couple hundred years, not much time on even the scale of humanity.

There will be less and less of your kind of argument as time goes on and all your so called ideas fall by the wayside.

I just saw your post about science meddling in affairs it cannot understand. The whole point of science is to meddle in things TILL we understand it. You want to kill stuff like cancer research or extending the productive years of humans?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 14:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I hope you live long enough to eat those words. You can poo poo anything that is not totally worked out and you aren't even wrong, but I rather think the reason you can get away with the crap you spew is simply because science is still in diapers, only been around for a couple hundred years, not much time on even the scale of humanity.

There will be les ...[text shortened]... nd it. You want to kill stuff like cancer research or extending the productive years of humans?
    I don't think you even understand what the word "meddling" means.

meddling - present participle of med·dle (Verb)

Verb:
    1.Interfere in or busy oneself unduly with something that is not one's concern.
    2.Touch or handle (something) without permission: "don't meddle with my things".

med·dle

intr.v. med·dled, med·dling, med·dles

1. To intrude into other people's affairs or business; interfere.
    2. To handle something idly or ignorantly; tamper.

Science should be concerned with gaining truthful knowledge about things without meddling (interferring) with things that are not the business or concern of science.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 22:37
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Free your mind and realize it is possible to agree with both.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    28 Jul '12 01:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Free your mind and realize it is possible to agree with both.
    But it is not possible to agree with the world views of say RJH and twhitehead so where is the common ground. Clearly we would have to dispense with Genesis and most of the old testament as a book of literal truths.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree