1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 10:101 edit
    Don't know if you've already discussed this, but I though it might be of interest to some of the people in this here forum:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3818/is_199810/ai_n8810635

A few questions:

1. Does any of you (americans) feel that the christian fundamentalism plays an increasing (potentially threatening) role in american politics?
    2. Exactly how visible is the "fundamentalist movement" in your american everyday lives?

[Edit: the article is old and may need some dusting off, but the message is clear.]
  2. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 10:551 edit
    Originally posted by stocken
    Don't know if you've already discussed this, but I though it might be of interest to some of the people in this here forum:

A few questions:

1. Does any of you (americans) feel that the christian fundamentalism plays an increasing (potentially threatening) role in american poli ...[text shortened]... ay lives?

[Edit: the article is old and may need some dusting off, but the message is clear.]
    I have not read the book, but it sounds interesting. I shall have to look for it at my library and/or bookstores.

I certainly can concur with a quote from the URL you gave:
    "I probably wasn't more than seven or eight when I first noticed that the word could mean very different things depending on who was using it"

How very, very true, and one of my pet peeves I must admit. I have personally phrased it as, "Christianity has become a generic lablel."

In regards to your questions:

1) Yes, I do believe that politics and the fundamentalist movement are increasingly becoming bed partners. I do indeed consider this threatening, on several levels.

2) I think it is apparent (if not obvious) how the "fundamentalist movement" affects us on the local level. Example: In my state of Colorado a person can not purchase an alcoholic beverage with alcoholic content above 3.2% on Sundays, and then only at a grocer or gas station (establishments whose primary revenue is liquor sales must not be in operation on Sundays).
  3. Colorado
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 17:512 edits

A few questions:

1. Does any of you (americans) feel that the christian fundamentalism plays an increasing (potentially threatening) role in american poli ...[text shortened]... ay lives?

American politics has been moving away from Christian ideals for a long time now in my opinion.

Edit:Alcohol is a peculiarity, but in general everything has become too “politically correct.” Everything from abortion to Christmas is becoming politically correct. It kind of makes me sick quite honestly.
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 17:55
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    American politics has been moving away from Christian ideals for a long time now in my opinion.
    Judging from the previous statement by Omnislash, that christian fundamentalism is very much progressing into american politics, and your statement that christian ideal are far from the direction of current politics in USA, I can only conclude that christian fundamentalism is far from the christian ideals.

Am I right, in saying so?
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 18:061 edit
    Judging from the previous statement by Omnislash, that christian fundamentalism is very much progressing into american politics, and your statement that christian ideal are far from the direction of current politics in USA, I can only conclude that christian fundamentalism is far from the christian ideals.

Am I right, in saying so?
    You may be right. Quite honestly I’m not even sure what the term “fundamentalism” means. If it means interpreting the Bible literally, I don’t think anybody dose. If it means becoming like Blindfaith101 I don’t think anybody should. If it means a political movement, the Christian movement in politics was squashed a long time ago. I suspect it’s the kind of term that people apply their own definitions to.

When I look at the big picture, I see America moving in the opposite direction as God would like us to according to my interpretation of the scripture. Fussing over alcohol is so petite it’s ridicules to point to that and say Christianity is taking over government. See the edit to my last post.
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 18:222 edits
    You may be right. Quite honestly I’m not even sure what the term “fundamentalism” means. If it means interpreting the Bible literally, I don’t think anybody dose. If it means becoming like Blindfaith101 I don’t think anybody should. If it means a political movement, the Christian movement in politics was squashed a long time ago. I suspect it’s the ...[text shortened]... s to point to that and say Christianity is taking over government. See the edit to my last post.
    I think to most people, christian fundamentalism means taking the good book and interpret it so that it fits in with ones own objectives, and - further - to use those interpretations to try and enforce your beliefs on others.

In a way, if the alcohol prohibition is a result of christians saying that alcohol shouldn't be allowed for anyone (even non-christians), and they got their way on the issue, then that would be an example on religious people passing on their values to non-religious people, a fundamentalistic action the way I see it.

Let's remember, though, that fundamentalists in this manner of the speaking exists within any group of people and it's really hard to pinpoint who is who.

[Edit]

Come to think of it, a christian doesn't necessarily need to interpret the bible in any specific way, if the book already speaks his mind so to speak. The fundamentalistic part is where (s)he enforces his/her beliefs on someone else.
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 20:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 20:27
    Edit:Alcohol is a peculiarity, but in general everything has become too “politically correct.” Everything from abortion to Christmas is becoming politically correct. It kind of makes me sick quite honestly.[/b]
    I suppose it is your opinion then that TV programs like South Park and The Family Guy are good for America?

A quick comment on "political correctness." I've found that while PC does exist (I'm at a major university after all.), anti-PC is even more prevalent. PC attempts to censor certain forms of speech which may be offensive and replace them with euphamisms. Anti-PC attempts to censor those euphamisms. They are really two-sides of the same coin. At my University the prevalent realization is PC. Back in Idaho among the loggers anti-PC is far more common.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 20:271 edit
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 21:10
    Originally posted by telerion
    I suppose it is your opinion then that TV programs like South Park and The Family Guy are good for America?

A quick comment on "political correctness." I've found that while PC does exist (I'm at a major university after all.), anti-PC is even more prevalent. PC attempts to censor certain forms of speech which may be offensive and replace them with ...[text shortened]... ty the prevalent realization is PC. Back in Idaho among the loggers anti-PC is far more common.
    "I suppose it is your opinion then that TV programs like South Park and The Family Guy are good for America?"

TV programs aren't the best source if you want to find out how things really are - they tend towards the biases of the person writing and / or producing / funding them. However, if these programs address relevant issues and promote some kind of dialogue or understanding, then I'd say that these programs are good for everyone.
  11. Colorado
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 22:282 edits

A quick comment on "political correctness." I've found that while PC does exist (I'm at a major university after all.), anti-PC is even more prevalent. PC attempts to censor certain forms of speech which may be offensive and replace them ...[text shortened]... ty the prevalent realization is PC. Back in Idaho among the loggers anti-PC is far more common.[/b]

The Family Guy I’ve never seen, but South Park I hate. I think our media in general portrays America in a negative way.

A quick comment on "political correctness." I've found that while PC does exist (I'm at a major university after all.), anti-PC is even more prevalent. PC attempts to censor certain forms of speech which may be offensive and replace them with euphamisms. Anti-PC attempts to censor those euphamisms. They are really two-sides of the same coin. At my University the prevalent realization is PC. Back in Idaho among the loggers anti-PC is far more common.

I was referring strictly to American politics.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 00:352 edits
    [b]I suppose it is your opinion then that TV programs like South Park and The Family Guy are good for America?

The Family Guy I’ve never seen, but South Park I hate. I think our media in general portrays America in a negative way.

A quick comment on "political correctness." I've found that while PC does exist (I'm at a major univ ...[text shortened]... ng the loggers anti-PC is far more common.

I was referring strictly to American politics.[/b]

But South Park is not PC at all. By your reasoning, isn't South Park helping America and xianity?

Really, what the hell does PC have to do with xianity?

All this hubbub about Xmas vs. Christmas is a crock. Greedy idiots like Dobson and Falwell seek out one or two miniscule cases somewhere where a principle or teacher makes a stupid decision (in their defense, it is usually in the interest of recognizing that not everybody in America believes in Jesus). Then they boost their power and pocketbooks by declaring that these incidents are going on everyday, all over America. It appeals the xian persecution complex (fundamental to a lot of xianity). Fundies everywhere get their panties in a bunch and whine about the Beast and the Antichrist and the End of Times and Kirk Cameron.

God I can't stand Kirk Cameron. What a moron. Has anyone else seen some of his apologetics videos? You'd think with all his money he could buy himself a full lobotomy.
  13. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 00:411 edit
    [b]The Family Guy I’ve never seen, but South Park I hate. I think our media in general portrays America in a negative way.

But South Park is not PC at all. By your reasoning, isn't South Park helping America and xianity?

Really, what the hell does PC have to do with xianity?

All this hubbub about Xmas vs. Christmas is a crock. Greedy id ...[text shortened]... f his apologetics videos? You'd think with all his money he could buy himself a full lobotomy.[/b]
    I can tell you are the type of person that likes South Park.
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 01:231 edit
    I can tell you are the type of person that likes South Park.
    Does this mean you like Kirk Cameron?
  15. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 02:22
    Does this mean you like Kirk Cameron?
    Never heard of him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree