Stellspalfie's Question

Stellspalfie's Question

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
14 Apr 12
1 edit

I have been asked the following question by Stellspalfie in the thread on " Scientists who believed in God ". Namely "My knowledge of Hinduism is pretty poor I will admit, could you give me some examples of what can be found exploring spiritual space? What is there to find? "
I had promised to Stellspalfie that I will come back with a post-in-reply. However, I thought later, that the reply could be by itself an independent thread. I am therefore making an attempt to reply.
Hinduism is an ancient Religion which has undergone changes, additions and deletions over the ages. It does not have a rigid structure, although most of its current lines of thought have been there in their present form for the last 1500 years or so. There is no mention of Hinduism as a religion in the Vedas which are, probably the most ancient (composed and memorized {till writing was invented} from about 5000 years ago) attempts to delve into the nature of Reality. The Vedic Suktas mention several deities and have hymns in their praise, as well as formal chants to be used in the Fire Sacrifices and other rituals. Vedas were followed by Upanishads which are short treatises dealing principally with the nature of Reality. The 11 principal Upanishads are the ones which contain the essence of Hinduism and are called, collectively, as Vedanta. Vedanta means the end of Vedas or the aim of the Vedas. The Upanishads are followed by the Smritis which mean the “ Remembered “ literature as opposed to Vedas and Vedanta which are “ Shrutis “ meaning the “ the Heard or Revealed “ literature. The Smritis are Ramayana, Mahabharata which are epic poems and Manusmriti which is a religious code. The Mahabharata contains the poem “Bhagavat Geeta “which essentially summarises the teachings contained in the Vedas and Vedanta. Geeta or Gita, in short, is the very heart of Hinduism and a person interested in a short-cut study of Hinduism should refer only to Geeta.
The main features of Hinduism are i) Belief in God ii) Belief that all living beings as well as non living things are a part and parcel of God. iii) We humans have been gifted with a mind and other faculties and we are best positioned to realize our true nature and the fact that we are a part of God. iv) We fail to realize our true nature because of the veil of Maya or Delusion which is drawn across our intellect and which misleads us into thinking that this world comprising of objects with names and appearances is the one and only reality. v) Maya is a feature of God and is given many names including Shakti. We must tear aside the curtain of Maya and realize God. This is the principal aim of human life. vi) We earn merit by doing good deeds and loose it by doing bad deeds. We are repaid in the same way-- either here itself or in our next birth-- for our deeds, whether good or bad. But we get trapped in this unending cycle of birth and rebirth as per our balance of deeds and we need to cut through this cycle by realizing God.

F

Moves
14 Apr 12

Can I suggest you make some paragraph breaks in your text.

Moves
14 Apr 12

Originally posted by FMF
Seconded.

Also, and I don't know if this is just me, I find that text that runs the entire width of the window
harder to follow than text that only runs part way across.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
14 Apr 12

Originally posted by FMF
Actually I did create a new MS word file on my pc and had it copy pasted on to the space in the O.P. but the bold portions with which I had marked Stellspalfie's question did not come across as bold. I do not seem to have any tools on my pc to edit this for paragraphing, unless you can suggest some. But not editing the original MS Word file and inserting that as a reply to your post or do you want it that way ?

Moves
14 Apr 12

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
Actually I did create a new MS word file on my pc and had it copy pasted on to the space in the O.P. but the bold portions with which I had marked Stellspalfie's question did not come across as bold. I do not seem to have any tools on my pc to edit this for paragraphing, unless you can suggest some. But not editing the original MS Word file and inserting that as a reply to your post or do you want it that way ?
to bold text on these forums you need to use html markers.

[ b ] and [ / b ] for bold and [ i ] and [ / i ] for italics (no spaces inside the brackets)

To put paragraphs in from word I think you need to put in a break line, but it's probably easier to format it in your browser...

Which browser do you use btw?
I use firefox which (with some plugins) gives me way more options than IE.

Including the ability to resize the text box, spell-checking, and no adverts.

Moves
14 Apr 12

thanks for getting back. i used to watch a tv show called 'Mahabharata' when i was a kid, it mainly involved epic fights with these guys in chariots firing magic bow and arrows and hitting each other with giant golden clubs, set in india i think.
what happens if a person keeps doing better and better things in each life, do they eventually become a god?
if a person keeps doing bad things what kind of things happen to them?, ive got my fingers crossed this isnt going to get all 'glen hoddle'

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
14 Apr 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
to bold text on these forums you need to use html markers.

[ b ] and [ / b ] for [b]bold
and [ i ] and [ / i ] for italics (no spaces inside the brackets)

To put paragraphs in from word I think you need to put in a break line, but it's probably easier to format it in your browser...

Which browser do you use btw?
I use firefox whic ...[text shortened]... tions than IE.

Including the ability to resize the text box, spell-checking, and no adverts.[/b]
I am reposting my OP with increased margins and more paras. Stellspalfie's question was :-My knowledge of Hinduism is pretty poor I will admit, could you give me some examples of what can be found exploring spiritual space? What is there to find?
I had promised to Stellspalfie that I will come back with a post-in-reply. However, I thought later, that the reply could be by itself an independent thread. I am therefore making an attempt to reply.
Hinduism is an ancient Religion which has undergone changes, additions and deletions over the ages. It does not have a rigid structure, although most of its current lines of thought have been there in their present form for the last 1500 years or so.
There is no mention of Hinduism as a religion in the Vedas which are, probably the most ancient (composed and memorized {till writing was invented} from about 5000 years ago) attempts to delve into the nature of Reality. The Vedic Suktas mention several deities and have hymns in their praise, as well as formal chants to be used in the Fire Sacrifices and other rituals.

Vedas were followed by Upanishads which are short treatises dealing principally with the nature of Reality. The 11 principal Upanishads are the ones which contain the essence of Hinduism and are called, collectively, as Vedanta. Vedanta means the end of Vedas or the aim of the Vedas. The Upanishads are followed by the Smritis which mean the “ Remembered “ literature as opposed to Vedas and Vedanta which are “ Shrutis “ meaning the “ the Heard or Revealed “ literature. The Smritis are Ramayana, Mahabharata which are epic poems and Manusmriti which is a religious code.
The Mahabharata contains the poem “Bhagavat Geeta “which essentially summarises the teachings contained in the Vedas and Vedanta. Geeta or Gita, in short, is the very heart of Hinduism and a person interested in a short-cut study of Hinduism should refer only to Geeta.
The main features of Hinduism are i) Belief in God ii) Belief that all living beings as well as non living things are a part and parcel of God. iii) We humans have been gifted with a mind and other faculties and we are best positioned to realize our true nature and the fact that we are a part of God. iv) We fail to realize our true nature because of the veil of Maya or Delusion which is drawn across our intellect and which misleads us into thinking that this world comprising of objects with names and appearances is the one and only reality. v) Maya is a feature of God and is given many names including Shakti. We must tear aside the curtain of Maya and realize God. This is the principal aim of human life. vi) We earn merit by doing good deeds and loose it by doing bad deeds. We are repaid in the same way-- either here itself or in our next birth-- for our deeds, whether good or bad. But we get trapped in this unending cycle of birth and rebirth as per our balance of deeds and we need to cut through this cycle by realizing God.
I am using Google chrome as a browser. Where do I find html markers ?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Apr 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
thanks for getting back. i used to watch a tv show called 'Mahabharata' when i was a kid, it mainly involved epic fights with these guys in chariots firing magic bow and arrows and hitting each other with giant golden clubs, set in india i think.
what happens if a person keeps doing better and better things in each life, do they eventually become a go ...[text shortened]... things happen to them?, ive got my fingers crossed this isnt going to get all 'glen hoddle'
We dont look for the outcome of our good karma. It's as if you are blinded to the future and past and just look to the now to improve your life and the lives of others.
This is NOT by pampering their ego however.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
14 Apr 12

what happens if a person keeps doing better and better things in each life, do they eventually become a go ...[text shortened]... things happen to them?, ive got my fingers crossed this isnt going to get all 'glen hoddle'
Mahabharata is an epic poem recounting what actually happened , then. About 3500 years ago.
If a person goes on doing good deeds with an attachment to them i.e. expecting their fruits, he/she will be still trapped in a birth / rebirth cycle, only difference being his/her earthly rewards will be better and bigger. To realize one's real nature, one has do even the good deeds without any attachment or expectation. Only then he/she will realize God.
Person doing repeatedly the bad deeds is going to be born as an animal or plant and suffer for his/her misdeeds.

Moves
14 Apr 12

I am reposting my OP with increased margins and more paras. Stellspalfie's question was :-My knowledge of Hinduism is pretty poor I will admit, could you give me some examples of what can be found exploring spiritual space? What is there to find?
I had promised to Stellspalfie that I will come back with a post-in-reply. However, I thought later, that th ...[text shortened]... cycle by realizing God.
I am using Google chrome as a browser. Where do I find html markers ?
You just type them. [ b ] (with no spaces) tells the browser that everything after this should
be bold until you hit a [ / b ] (no spaces) which tells the browser to stop bolding the text.

Moves
15 Apr 12

Mahabharata is an epic poem recounting what actually happened , then. About 3500 years ago.
If a person goes on doing good deeds with an attachment to them i.e. expecting their fruits, he/she will be still trapped in a birth / rebirth cycle, only difference being his/her earthly rewards will be better and bigger. To realize one's real nature, one has do ...[text shortened]... atedly the bad deeds is going to be born as an animal or plant and suffer for his/her misdeeds.
how was the religion passed to humanity?
if the earthly rewards get bigger and bigger what kind of thing happens, what are the rewards?

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
15 Apr 12

how was the religion passed to humanity?
if the earthly rewards get bigger and bigger what kind of thing happens, what are the rewards?
Hindu religion has not come down to humanity from any divine source. Upanishads and Vedas quote names of the Rishis or Sages who enunciated the various Suktas. The " Shrutis " are the " heard/revealed " books which comprise of the Vedas and Upanishads, no doubt. But the word Shruti indicates inspiration to the Sages who then gave concrete form to that inspiration in the shape of words. Does not indicate Divine authorship. The Vedas are called " God's exhalations " in a much later work, but that is a somewhat formal eulogy. All great and good things anyway are called God's vibhutis or manifestations.

Moves
16 Apr 12

Hindu religion has not come down to humanity from any divine source. Upanishads and Vedas quote names of the Rishis or Sages who enunciated the various Suktas. The " Shrutis " are the " heard/revealed " books which comprise of the Vedas and Upanishads, no doubt. But the word Shruti indicates inspiration to the Sages who then gave concrete form to that i ...[text shortened]... al eulogy. All great and good things anyway are called God's vibhutis or manifestations.
the amount of good and bad things in the world roughly stays about the same. does this mean that the punishment/reward system for what you come back as is pointless.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
26 Apr 12

the amount of good and bad things in the world roughly stays about the same. does this mean that the punishment/reward system for what you come back as is pointless.
You are right. The Hindu theology says that the cycle of birth and rebirth, whether as a reward or punishment, is pointless.It is called the Sansar Chakra or the wheel of this World. We must understand our true nature i.e. we are the immutable parts of the Ultimate Reality and we must aim to break free of this cycle and merge back into the Ultimate Reality.