1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 02:341 edit
    He categorically stated that "there is no God" which is not something I can do or that I can agree with him about. In fact, I am sure most here would agree with me on this issue.

Despite his education, expertise and knowledge ~ not to mention his field of research ~ surely he is no more or less able to speculate accurately about the existence of a god or gods - or "God", if you prefer - than any of us here, right?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 03:052 edits
    Is it me or does it seem odd that your dying words are that there is no God.

Why not say there are no Flying spaghetti Monster or unicorns instead?

If I recall, Stalin shook his fists up toward heaven when he died.

Again, strange behavior for people who adamantly insist there is no God.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 03:10
    @whodey said

Why not say there are no Flying spaghetti Monster or unicorns instead?
    Because there is no debate about that.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 03:141 edit
    @whodey said
    They weren't his "dying words". They were in a book he wrote.

So let's translate your disingenuousness:

Does it seem odd that a public intellectual would state his belief that there is no God in a book he wrote?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 03:14
    @whodey said
    If I recall, Stalin shook his fists up toward heaven when he died.

Again, strange behavior for people who adamantly insist there is no God.
    What about the OP question?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 05:34
    @fmf said
    He categorically stated that "there is no God" which is not something I can do or that I can agree with him about. In fact, I am sure most here would agree with me on this issue.

Despite his education, expertise and knowledge ~ not to mention his field of research ~ surely he is no more or less able to speculate accurately about the existence of a god or gods - or "God", if you prefer - than any of us here, right?
    “With my last breath I spit at thee”

Khan: Star Trek, The Wrath of Khan
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 10:00
    @fmf said
    surely he is no more or less able to speculate accurately about the existence of a god or gods - or "God", if you prefer - than any of us here, right?
    Because stating categorically, "there is no God", is speculation?? I think not.

To say one is not certain there is no God, then to speculate whether there is a God or not, is understandable.

But it is not speculation to state categorically there is a God.

To know there is God is to know God is based on relationship.

This whole issue is problematic because it opens the door to a world of speculation.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 10:22
    @fmf said
    They weren't his "dying words". They were in a book he wrote.

So let's translate your disingenuousness:

Does it seem odd that a public intellectual would state his belief that there is no God in a book he wrote?
    Oh, my bad.

So then if the notion of God is so stupid, why is it so widely believed?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 10:33
    @whodey said
    Oh, my bad.

So then if the notion of God is so stupid, why is it so widely believed?
    You should address this question to someone who believes "the notion of God is so stupid".
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 12:48
    @fmf said
    You should address this question to someone who believes "the notion of God is so stupid".
    Well Mr. Hawking is dead, so..................
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 13:00
    @secondson said
    Because stating categorically, "there is no God", is speculation?? I think not.
    For all intents and purposes, it - and whatever pondering he did - is just speculation packaged as 'categorical certainty'. It's a belief he's arrived at. He does not "know". It's merely conjecture-with-gusto.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 13:01
    @whodey said
    Well Mr. Hawking is dead, so..................
    In his book he said he believed "the notion of God is so stupid"? I think you're making it up.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 13:06
    @secondson said
    But it is not speculation to state categorically there is a God.
    You stating it "categorically" does not alter the fact that the perceiving of a god or gods is a blend of speculation, aspiration, and faith.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 13:481 edit
    @fmf said
    In his book he said he believed "the notion of God is so stupid"? I think you're making it up.
    I would assume that being adamant that there is no God carries with it the implication that those who think otherwise are stupid.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 16:58
    @whodey said
    I would assume that being adamant that there is no God carries with it the implication that those who think otherwise are stupid.
    I would not go that far, for some yes, but that is true of every block of people. Some judge others intelligence good or bad by how lined up they are with their own beliefs. That is not a true by any measure it only shows similar beliefs and thinking not how deeply they thought things through.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree