1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:08
    I'm still looking for an explanation from the atheist as to where everything came from.

As a Bible believing Christian I believe everything that exists was created by God.

Now, before you atheists start asking questions about what everything is, what I mean by "everything", is, all that exists. All that exists is everything that there is. Everything that does not exist is not in question here, since only what exists is all that there is. What does not exist is not a part of what exists, because only what exists is in existence. What exists includes everything we don't know exists as well.

So, I'm looking for an honest answer. Where did all that exists come from? Did all that exists have a beginning? If all that exists had no beginning, then how do you explain how all that exists has existed forever? If forever is a problem for you, then forget that and demonstrate your understanding of the nature of existence.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'm still looking for an explanation from the atheist as to where everything came from.

As a Bible believing Christian I believe everything that exists was created by God.

Now, before you atheists start asking questions about what everything is, what I mean by "everything", is, all that exists. All that exists is everything that there is. Everything th ...[text shortened]... em for you, then forget that and demonstrate your understanding of the nature of existence.
    If you believe everything that exists was created by God, where did God come from? Who created the creator?

If your answer is that God has always existed, why can't matter always have existed?!
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:18

Now, before you atheists start asking questions about what everything is, what I mean by "everything", is, all that exists. All that exists is everything that there is. Everything th ...[text shortened]... em for you, then forget that and demonstrate your understanding of the nature of existence.
    it isn't a very hard question. should be answered in a couple of sentences.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:22
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    If you believe everything that exists was created by God, where did God come from? Who created the creator?

If your answer is that God has always existed, why can't matter always have existed?!
    you don't understand the purpose of this thread. the purpose of this thread is to yank the "i don't know" answer from the atheist. and then he will say : "well i know, it was god."

and then we will all sigh in relief for having discovered the first and last explanation you will ever need about life, the universe and everything.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:30

"If your answer is that God has always existed, why can't matter always have existed?!"

Fair question!

Off the top of my head I'd have to say that the concept of "always existed" is beyond our comprehension. I believe God has existed forever because that's what He said.

I can imagine God as a living being, but matter is a different thing. God has attributes and qualities associated with something living. Life being something conscientious of it's existence. Matter doesn't have those qualities. Matter simply exists.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:32
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    you don't understand the purpose of this thread. the purpose of this thread is to yank the "i don't know" answer from the atheist. and then he will say : "well i know, it was god."

and then we will all sigh in relief for having discovered the first and last explanation you will ever need about life, the universe and everything.
    No. The purpose of this thread is to provide myself, and anyone else willing to engage in a lively discussion, with entertainment.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:47

"Why cant matter always have existed?"

The second law of thermodynamics?
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:50
    [b]"If your answer is that God has always existed, why can't matter always have existed?!"

Fair question!

Off the top of my head I'd have to say that the concept of "always existed" is beyond our comprehension. I believe God has existed forever because that's what He said.

I can imagine God as a living being, but matter is a different thing. G ...[text shortened]... cientious of it's existence. Matter doesn't have those qualities. Matter simply exists.[/b]
    Off the top of my head I'd have to say that the concept of "always existed" is beyond our comprehension

That maybe true, but just because we may not be able to comprehand something doesn't mean it's not possible.

I believe God has existed forever because that's what He said.

So matter can't have always existed because you can't comprehend the concept, bu God has always existed because that's what they tell you at church?!
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:501 edit
    God is beyond the confines of matter, hence she can move about freely in space and time.

Humans are a mixture of divinity (borne of spirit) and "darkness"(borne of attachment to matter). There is a distinct purpose to every humans life and it lies not in any of the "tendencies toward formation".
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:54
    [b]"If your answer is that God has always existed, why can't matter always have existed?!"

Fair question!

I can imagine God as a living being, but matter is a different thing. G ...[text shortened]... cientious of it's existence. Matter doesn't have those qualities. Matter simply exists.[/b]
    this proves this cannot be an equal discussion. an atheist can offer many explanations, many of which might be theories or very complicated science, but nothing can be as definitive as your answer: "god did it, god said he did it, anything there is, god did it".

to everything an atheist (better said a scientist) can throw at you, you can reply with "god did it".

also you attempt to answer the question "who" whereas science tries to answer "how". it still isn't a reasonable discussion.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:572 edits

==============================
    =================================

I think the current cosmological evidence is that the so called Big Bang marks the beginning of matter, time, and space.

Steady State theory of the universe and its matter has been pretty much discredited.

You're asking "Why can't matter always have existed?" seems to have been answered by the wide scale acceptance of the Big Bang Theory.

Are you going to revive the Steady State Theory ?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 14:07
    As usual we're off topic already.

I'll reiterate.

So, I'm looking for an honest answer. Where did all that exists come from? Did all that exists have a beginning? If all that exists had no beginning, then how do you explain how all that exists has existed forever? If forever is a problem for you, then forget that and demonstrate your understanding of the nature of existence.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 14:14
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]==============================
    =================================

I think the current cosmological evidence is that the so called Big Bang marks the beginning of matter, time, and space.

Steady State theory of the universe and its matter has be ...[text shortened]... le acceptance of the Big Bang Theory.

Are you going to revive the Steady State Theory ?[/b]
    I won't be reviving the Steady State Theory, not this early in the New Year.

You are correct, matter, time and space came into existence with the Big Bang. I was asking, why can't what preceded the Big Bang have existed forever. All be it in a rather poor way.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 14:15

I'll reiterate.

[b]So, I'm looking for an honest answer. Where did all that exists come from? Did all that exists have a beginning? If all that exists had no beginning, then how do you explain how all that exists has existed forever? If forever is a problem for you, then forget that and demonstrate your understanding of the nature of existence.
    [/b]
    Nobody knows.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 14:16

I'll reiterate.

[b]So, I'm looking for an honest answer. Where did all that exists come from? Did all that exists have a beginning? If all that exists had no beginning, then how do you explain how all that exists has existed forever? If forever is a problem for you, then forget that and demonstrate your understanding of the nature of existence.
    [/b]
    ok i will humor you.

all that exists supposedly came from a point-singularity that exploded at time 0 when the event known as the big bang supposedly happened. there was no "before" because there was no time. all matter originated from that event. but we don't know for sure if that is true because it is just a theory. nor can we possibly know what existed "before". because there was no before. to understand what was before the big bang you would need a system of reference but there is none because nothing existed. on a side note, without time, everything would happen simoultaneously. one blip of all the events in all existance and then nothing.

that was the sciency response.

satisified?

curious to see what you will do with this response.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree