1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 19:20
    The following is just one example of the kind of things that happen in churches and amongst God's people. It's not scientific as such but there is loads of stuff like this out there.

A Christian leader was on a conference stage leading prayer. He felt led to pray in tongues. There was a delegation of Romanians visiting the conference in England and one particular youth worker was starting to walk out because he objected theologically to speaking in tongues. As the leader was praying in tongues he felt that what was coming out of his mouth was a bit different than normal. Then the guy who was walking out stopped in his tracks and came back. When asked about what happened he told the leader that he had been talking ancient Romanian. The leader was a bit blown away but asked for an explanation. The Romanian guy said that it was a prayer to God in ancient Romanian that his Dad had had tattooed on his back . Obviously he felt God had spoken to him through the Christian leader.

I don't know the rest of the story but my guess is that God wanted this chap to know that the gifts of the Spirit are alive and well and theologically sound. I also reckon that whatever the prayer was it would have had some relevance to his life.
  2. England
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 19:45
    i belive in god .. but very rarely these storys
  3. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 19:50
    Did you know that there are alligators in the New York sewers? If you don't believe that, then why would you believe the other story?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 20:01
    Originally posted by stoker
    i belive in god .. but very rarely these storys
    What if it happened to you? How would you splain it away?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 21:35
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    The following is just one example of the kind of things that happen in churches and amongst God's people. It's not scientific as such but there is loads of stuff like this out there.

A Christian leader was on a conference stage leading prayer. He felt led to pray in tongues. There was a delegation of Romanians visiting the conference in England a ...[text shortened]... und. I also reckon that whatever the prayer was it would have had some relevance to his life.
    If this were true and verifiable it would be front-page news across the world.

Its either anecdotal rubbish or fabrication.

Perhaps you have a link to the story?
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 21:40
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Even if it's true it shouldn't be. It only tells us that the guy on stage once learned a prayer in a foreign language. That there happens to be someone in the room who knows that prayer is a coincidence.
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 23:37

I don't know whether it would be front page news or not. I will try and find a link. I don't know what you mean by "anecdotal rubbish". It may not be scientific but it doesn't invalidate the story per se. These kinds of things are happening all around us , it's part of the deal within Christian circles.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 23:43
    I don't know whether it would be front page news or not. I will try and find a link. I don't know what you mean by "anecdotal rubbish". It may not be scientific but it doesn't invalidate the story per se. These kinds of things are happening all around us , it's part of the deal within Christian circles.
    "These kinds of things" are most definitely NOT happening "all around us".

You honestly "don't know" if a verifiable miracle it would be front page news ??

It doesnt have to be scientific to be valid ... just factual!
  9. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 23:451 edit
    Originally posted by Barts
    Even if it's true it shouldn't be. It only tells us that the guy on stage once learned a prayer in a foreign language. That there happens to be someone in the room who knows that prayer is a coincidence.
    Hmmmm.....Christians have to get used to a lot of "coincidences".

In any case you forget that the prayer was in ancient Romanian - not likely that he would know such a prayer/ phrase or whatever it was. Also , it just happened to be the phrase that was tattooed on his Dad's back. In addition it also came at a time when this guy was walking out of the conference.

On top of this , even if what you suggest is true , the phrase came out of the speakers mouth involuntarily. God was using him basically. However , one thing I have always noticed about these "coincidences" is that there's always a purpose or reasoning to it. It has relevance to the person's life, ie it's more than just a "coincidence" - there is a meaning attached for that person connected somehow to that person's ministry or gift or God's plan for them. God doesn't do stuff like this for show like some profane magic trick. The point is that it had an impact on this person's life.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    16 Feb '12 23:53

http://cookiesdays.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

Look for tuesday august 17th 2010 - I may have got some details wrong in my account because I wrote from memory.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 00:00

In any case you forget that the prayer was in ancient Romanian - not likely that he would know such a prayer/ phrase or whatever it was. Also , it just happened to be the phrase that was tattooed on his Dad's back. In addition it also came at a time when this guy was walking out of t ...[text shortened]... ome profane magic trick. The point is that it had an impact on this person's life.
    As an example, Is it a coincidence if you hear about some theist that prayed to "God" for some money and then when he next walked outside he found a five pound note (or whatever in your currency) on the floor?

Actually it is. Indeed since you have (more than) tens of thousands of theists all playing the pray to god game every day, then the one who *gets his prayer answered* is the one who will report it to the rest of us when in actual fact it was pretty certain at least one such theist would *get what they asked for at some point*. To him and you it's remarkable - to me it's just a numbers game.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 00:05

In any case you forget that the prayer was in ancient Romanian - not likely that he would know such a prayer/ phrase or whatever it was. Also , it just happened to be the phrase that was tattooed on his Dad's back. In addition it also came at a time when this guy was walking out of t ...[text shortened]... ome profane magic trick. The point is that it had an impact on this person's life.
    Well, if you believe the stories in the Bible actually happened, then you already believe in miracles, so you'd naturally accept a story like this at face value. If God can part the red sea, appear in a burning bush, strike the firstborn of egypt with a plague, etc. then making someone pray in a foreign language would be a small feat in comparison.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 00:51

A Christian leader was on a conference stage leading prayer. He felt led to pray in tongues. There was a delegation of Romanians visiting the conference in England a ...[text shortened]... und. I also reckon that whatever the prayer was it would have had some relevance to his life.
    Im sure there is much more kinds of things that happen in churches among those who claim to be Gods people, that we cannot mention in decent company.
  14. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 00:51
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]Hmmmm.....Christians have to get used to a lot of "coincidences".
    As an example, Is it a coincidence if you hear about some theist that prayed to "God" for some money and then when he next walked outside he found a five pound note (or whatever in your currency) on the floor?

Actually it is. Indeed since you have (more than) tens of thousands of the ...[text shortened]... asked for at some point*. To him and you it's remarkable - to me it's just a numbers game.[/b]
    to me it's just a numbers game.

------------agerg---------------

Which is the whole problem. What you don't get is that for us it's personal. There's always purpose and meaning to what God does.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 02:17
    to me it's just a numbers game.

------------agerg---------------

Which is the whole problem. What you don't get is that for us it's personal. There's always purpose and meaning to what God does.
    the problem you're facing is that he hasn't done anything. it's all in your head.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree