1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 04:01
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    the problem you're facing is that he hasn't done anything. it's all in your head.
    I reckon you had to be there

But boy do I like stories, I'm surprised more of you don't, the way you carry on is like kids sometimes. Especially christians
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 06:16
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I don't know whether it would be front page news or not. I will try and find a link. I don't know what you mean by "anecdotal rubbish". It may not be scientific but it doesn't invalidate the story per se. These kinds of things are happening all around us , it's part of the deal within Christian circles.
    Would you believe the story if those involved were Muslim?
    Do you believe Muslims are more likely to make up such stories?

I personally think the story itself is either made up, or has been adjusted over time such that it is no-longer accurate. But as regards coincidences:
    Do you believe that Muslims have less coincidences of this nature?
    Do you know how many coincidences happen to us atheists?
    How many coincidences do you experience that are non-religious?
    Do you know how many coincidences are predicted by ordinary probability?

You stated before that you have no objection to the scientific method. So if the scientific method were to reveal that there is a more reasonable explanation for your stories of coincidences and that they are not nearly as remarkable as you think, which would you believe? The scientific method, or you belief that the coincidences are generated by God?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 06:20
    Which is the whole problem. What you don't get is that for us it's personal. There's always purpose and meaning to what God does.
    We all like to see patterns. But the fact that we see patterns is not, in itself, evidence that the thing we believe is the cause of the patterns is, in fact, the cause. You say its God, someone else says its the position of the moon in the constellation Orion. If you expect us to accept your explanation, you have to give a good reason why the moons position is not a reasonable explanation.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 07:33
    to me it's just a numbers game.

------------agerg---------------

Which is the whole problem. What you don't get is that for us it's personal. There's always purpose and meaning to what God does.
    We do get it Knightmeister but 'personal' is always subjective and unverifiable; i.e not given to proofs that would satisfy an objective inquiry. Acceptance of these things are an act of faith and should be valued on that basis. Personally that story is more likely to get me giving the lottery one more go.
  5. England
    Moves
    17 Feb '12 10:011 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    What if it happened to you? How would you splain it away?
    would not explain it away i would take it as god speaking [not with words direct] to me and find out what i could do to give back to him
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 02:29
    http://cookiesdays.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

Look for tuesday august 17th 2010 - I may have got some details wrong in my account because I wrote from memory.
    You have given me a link to David Cookes blog in which he tells of a Mike Pilavachi telling him a story he heard from 2009.

Its Chinese whispers!

AND AGAIN I SAY THAT IF THIS HAD HAPPENED IT WOULD BE ALL OVER THE NATIONAL PAPERS
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '12 06:24
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Its Chinese whispers!
    Knightmeister will believe any story that supports his position and ignore any story that doesn't. How factual they are does not matter.
    Whats interesting is that he suggests that such events are common place, even in his own life, yet he did not choose to give one that he had personally witnessed, nor one that could be backed up with any form of verification.

The OPs story appears to the typical reader to portray an event in which there are many witnesses - thus providing greater believability. Yet we are not actually told whether these 'witnesses' ever heard the final part of the story or whether it was a private conversation, nor are any witness statements given. At the end of the day we must trust each link of the Chinese whisperers. This is similar to how Christians commonly quote the number of witnesses to event in the Bible which were ultimately only reported by one writer in a book 50 years later.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree