1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 22:07
    I think the thing that gives most religious or spiritual people conviction in their belief is personal experience of the supernatural. In reality I don't believe in the supernatural, because I think what we call supernatural just has not been explained yet asto what it is. Maybe supernatural is not the correct term I'm looking for. I mean having an experience that is beyond normal explanation as to why it's happening. I for one had such an experience after having a heated conversation with a Christian friend about the truth or fiction of his belief. He asked me to simply ask God or Jesus tp come into my life sometime when I was alone. I had no intension of doing such a thing, but later that night after going to bed I did ask Jesus to come into my life just to do it. I expected nothing to happen of course, but something did happen. I can't explain clearly what took place but it was almost scary in it's intensity. There was this feeling that went from head to toe, and it keep growing, and growing. It lasted about five to ten minutes, and it was the first time I ever had an experience that seemed to be an answer to prayer. I still could not buy into the Christian doctrine, because of a million reasons, but I think my experience was what a lot of Christian have as a Born Again experience. I noticed the next day after having this thing happen to me. I felt better. I felt lighter in some way's, and when I started to swear it felt wrong for some reason. I stoppled swearing for over a year. Now I'm back talking like a sailor again, but for the longest time I was effected by the experience. This and other things make me believe in a bigger universe that just might be filled with many intelligent beings that we can't see or prove. If I would of never had the few experiences that I had I'm sure that I would to be an athiest, but I believe in something much bigger than me. The aspect of the universe being nothing but a fluke is the real mind bender. That really sounds nut's. When you look out at the world how could it be nothing but a meaningless pile of nothing going nowhere ?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 15:28
    Originally posted by buckky
    I think the thing that gives most religious or spiritual people conviction in their belief is personal experience of the supernatural. In reality I don't believe in the supernatural, because I think what we call supernatural just has not been explained yet asto what it is. Maybe supernatural is not the correct term I'm looking for. I mean having an experience ...[text shortened]... at the world how could it be nothing but a meaningless pile of nothing going nowhere ?
    Except for the fact that you need to learn how to use paragraphs, an excellent post. I agree and I think you are describing the actual experiences that Christians call "talking to God" and other flowery and vague things.
  3. SEMO
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 21:24
    I think the thing that gives most religious or spiritual people conviction in their belief is personal experience of the supernatural. In reality I don't believe in the supernatural, because I think what we call supernatural just has not been explained yet asto what it is. Maybe supernatural is not the correct term I'm looking for. I mean having an experience ...[text shortened]... at the world how could it be nothing but a meaningless pile of nothing going nowhere ?
    When I first started to read the Bible and talk to other people who call themselves Christians, I had a similar thing happen to me when I bought into their "ask the Lord to come into your heart" phrase.

However, after studying further into the Lord's word and continuing in prayer for understanding, I have come to realize that it was only my own emotions and had nothing to do with the Lord. Nowhere in the Bible have I found where we are told to "ask the Lord to come into our hearts". In fact I have found that no one can do such a task unless the Lord has already changed their heart. Those who believe that saying a phrase gets you saved is deceived themselves. They need to study more and find the truth before telling others they need to do something in order to get saved.

Most who do this thing and tell others to do it because you get a 'feeling' is only relying on emotions rather than truth. Emotions can be deceiving in themselves.

I never tell others to do this, nor do I use the 'sinners prayer' for the same reason that neither are Biblical.
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 21:27
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    When I first started to read the Bible and talk to other people who call themselves Christians, I had a similar thing happen to me when I bought into their "ask the Lord to come into your heart" phrase.

However, after studying further into the Lord's word and continuing in prayer for understanding, I have come to realize that it was only my own emotion ...[text shortened]... this, nor do I use the 'sinners prayer' for the same reason that neither are Biblical.
    So is your entire faith wrapped up in the Bible?
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 21:36
    That was very interesting, thanks for sharring.

Personally I have asked God into my life- a long time ago but I felt nothing. I still beleive though becasue it makes sense to me- that there is a God. None of the other explinations make enough sense. I have seen people be knocked over by the Holy Spirit and heard them talk in tougues, report pictures from God, visions and such like- I guess you are one of those people!

Are you serious about the head lice? If you are you need a comb like a the nitty gritty I use on my kids;
    http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp?gclid=COezjY7B3pQCFRMXQgodo2pJRw
  6. SEMO
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    So is your entire faith wrapped up in the Bible?
    The Lord reviles himself to me through His Word. You can not believe in something you know nothing about.

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I pray for understanding and that comes from the Lord also.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 22:05
    The Lord reviles himself to me through His Word.
    Poor guy. Why would he do such a thing?
  8. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 22:14
    The Lord reviles himself to me through His Word. You can not believe in something you know nothing about.

I don't know what you mean by "You can not believe in something you know nothing about." I agree that the Bible is a great way to learn about Jesus and his teachings but not that it is the only source of information about God.
  9. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    26 Jul '08 22:15
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    He was going through an emo phase.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 20:36
    This is not a vague thing but a direct experience of the Holy Spirit. It's as simple as that. God touched you with his grace. You may or may not come to a belief that is perfectly aligned to established doctrine , but that's not the point. Your life will not be the same again.

You will have great trouble convincing yourself that this experience wasn't real because God won't let you move too far away from him. What I found most interesting about your experience was the long lasting effect it had on you. This suggests to me that it wasn't just emotional.
  11. SEMO
    Moves
    27 Jul '08 20:42
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Could you expound on this? Why would reviling himself through his Word and granting understanding to us make him a "Poor guy"?
  12. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 04:181 edit
    Could you expound on this? Why would reviling himself through his Word and granting understanding to us make him a "Poor guy"?
    Related Forms · Synonyms · Usage Examples
    revile Definition

re·vile

transitive verb -·viled′, -·vil′·ing

to use abusive or contemptuous language in speaking to or about; call bad names

Related Forms · Synonyms · Usage Examples
    reveal¹ Definition

re·veal

transitive verb

1. to make known (something hidden or kept secret); disclose; divulge
    2. to expose to view; show; exhibit; display
    3. Theol. to make known by supernatural or divine means
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 08:292 edits

…."You can not believe in something you know nothing about."…

Agreed.

I would add:

"You cannot believe in falsehoods you know nothing about."
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 09:10
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    He was going through an emo phase.
    I wonder if that was before or after the crucifixion?
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 09:31
    When you look out at the world how could it be nothing but a meaningless pile of nothing going nowhere ?
    The Religious Experience of Philip K. Dick
    http://www.philipkdickfans.com/weirdo/weirdo1.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree