1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 12:362 edits
    pritybette,

==========================================

[nowhere] I found where we are told to "ask the Lord to come into our hearts". In fact I have found that no one can do such a task unless the Lord has already changed their heart.

===========================================

1.) "As many as received Him, to them He gave the authority to become children of God, to those who believe into His name." (John 1:11)

Based on this verse we are justified to advize people to "receive" the Lord Jesus.

2.) "For this cause I bow my knees ... that Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith" (See Eph. 3:14a-17)

Based on this verse we certrainly should pray for and even ask people to let Christ make His home in their heart through faith. This is virtually the same as telling someone to let Christ into their heart.

"Let Christ make His home in your heart my friend. Have faith and let Christ make His home in your heart."

3.) "Indeed unto this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart; But whenever [thier heart] turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away." (2 Cor. 3:15,16)

Based on this verse we certainly can tell the sinners to turn their heart to the Lord. When their heart is turned away from Christ a veil like a cover lies over their heart. When their heart turns to the Lord Jesus the covering of darkness is taken away.

So we can certainly advize people to turn their heart to the Lord Jesus.

We can tell people to receive Him, to let Christ make His home in thier heart, and to turn their heart toward the Lord Jesus. Virtually all these biblical admonitions practically amount to telling people to receive Jesus into your heart.

There is nothing wrong with telling people to let Jesus into their heart regardless of the need for the Holy Spirit to do His work.
  2. SEMO
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 21:45
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Related Forms · Synonyms · Usage Examples
    revile Definition

[b]re·vile

transitive verb -·viled′, -·vil′·ing

to use abusive or contemptuous language in speaking to or about; call bad names

Related Forms · Synonyms · Usage Examples
    reveal¹ Definition

re·veal

transitive verb

1. to make known (someth ...[text shortened]... pose to view; show; exhibit; display
    3. Theol. to make known by supernatural or divine means[/b]
    lol. Thank you pawnhandler. I realize my typo, now I feel silly! 😵😕
  3. SEMO
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 21:58
    Originally posted by jaywill
    pritybette,

[b]==========================================

[nowhere] I found where we are told to "ask the Lord to come into our hearts". In fact I have found that no one can do such a task unless the Lord has already changed their heart.

===========================================

1.) "As many as received Him, to them ...[text shortened]... et Jesus into their heart regardless of the need for the Holy Spirit to do His work.
    Yes, the Lord does come into the heart, however, now where dose any of those verses say we are able to 'ask' him to come in. In fact there are many verses saying the lost sinner is unable to seek the Lord. If they are unable to seek him, then they would not be able to ask him to come into their hearts.

You can not tell someone to do something when they are unable to. Can you tell a dog to fly? A dog can not fly because his nature does not alow it. A man's sinful nature does not alow him to seek the Lord without the Lord first quickening him.
  4. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 22:41
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    lol. Thank you pawnhandler. I realize my typo, now I feel silly! 😵😕
    No problem. It made for some interesting images of Jesus getting a little cranky right before the crucifixion.
  5. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    28 Jul '08 23:53
    Originally posted by buckky
    I think the thing that gives most religious or spiritual people conviction in their belief is personal experience of the supernatural. In reality I don't believe in the supernatural, because I think what we call supernatural just has not been explained yet asto what it is. Maybe supernatural is not the correct term I'm looking for. I mean having an experience ...[text shortened]... at the world how could it be nothing but a meaningless pile of nothing going nowhere ?
    Could there be a naturalistic explanation for the phenomenon? Does the cause of your transformation have to be the supernatural being that people refer to as God or Jesus? Could your request reflect a pre-existing latent desire, or at least preparedness, on your part to undergo a transformation?

I think there is definitely something in the phenomenon whereby, after a period of striving after goals that ultimately get one nowhere, one desists and becomes passive, so that an integrated set of accompanying worries also disappear, and some adaptive spontaneous desires, previously blocked, re-emerge. The concept of "grace" seems appropriate.

It's interesting that in your case that the experience was accompanied by a moral aversion to swearing, and also that, even though you have retured to swearing, you still value the original experience!

I can never decide whether the world is meaningful or not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree