1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 13:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't think suicide being a sin is actually in the bible at all and yet I believe it is considered a mortal sin (I.e. One where you go to hell) in the catholic and possibly other creeds. I'd be interested to here from anyone here who knows first hand?
    The link I cited is official RCC doctrine.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:06
    Moving on from the "eternal suffering" topic, I would like to explore the beliefs here on whether or not Christians who commit suicide go to heaven or hell.

This is possibly a less obviously controversial topic but I do invite those with a POV to state it and the reasons why.

Just because we/you/they argue over it, does not necessarily mean that t ...[text shortened]... in those who do. We should contend for truth and contending is frequently contentious.

Best.
    I was/am a Christian, but haven't been to church in decades (many), and can't remember if suicide was a sin but let's assume that it was. Jesus died for our sins right? So I would then vote heaven.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 23:15
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Here we go again. .. the licence to sin principle.
    Very nice.
    There exist the foolish, who consider the payment as a green light to

GO

and fill their cup with dirt.
    God knew this
    knew of their duplicity.

Devised a plan
    which caught the sneaky
    in their sneaky plans
    sent them their just reward
    from miles away
    miles before...

All they get is eternal life
    no more tears, no more sorrow

All the rest:
    [try to imagine it!]
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 23:57
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    There exist the foolish, who consider the payment as a green light to

GO

and fill their cup with dirt.
    God knew this
    knew of their duplicity.

Devised a plan
    which caught the sneaky
    in their sneaky plans
    sent them their just reward
    from miles away
    miles before...

All they get is eternal life
    no more tears, no more sorrow

All the rest:
    [try to imagine it!]
    A follower of Christ emulates Christ's simplicity of speech and his clear concise language that anyone can understand. You lack that and it is easy to understand why.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 00:39
    Its one example of many where people place their own concocted doctrines above those of God and Christ.
    It sure beats your "Do as I say, not as I do" doctrine.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 01:01
    A follower of Christ emulates Christ's simplicity of speech and his clear concise language that anyone can understand. You lack that and it is easy to understand why.
    All the rest.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 16:591 edit
    Freaky posted his Christian 'getaway with sin' doctrine:

[i]No sin can outdo what has been done.
    When the Christ worked on the Cross, He worked to balance the scale of all sin.
    When the Christ died, He died having completing the work.
    God is not surprised by sin.
    Nothing can be added to the balance of sin, no matter how much man trespasses from th ...[text shortened]... ]

And you agreed:

[i]From my POV I would say well put.[i]

What did I say that is wrong?
    Because what you say he is saying, is not what he is saying.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 17:01
    Its one example of many where people place their own concocted doctrines above those of God and Christ.
    Agreed, I don't see any evidence in scripture that suicides go to hell. I believe the are seven incidents of suicide recorded in the bible, Samson being one.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 17:01
    Because what you say he is say is not what he is saying.
    What is he saying? Please explain.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 17:16
    What is he saying? Please explain.
    What I will say is that he is not saying that Christians have a licence to sin.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 17:26
    What I will say is that he is not saying that Christians have a licence to sin.
    Different words with the same meaning. This

No sin can outdo what has been done.
    Nothing can be added to the balance of sin, no matter how much man trespasses from that point forward, until man can act no more.
    All done, all paid.

IS EQUAL TO

A licence to sin.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 17:44

Nothing can be added to the balance of sin, no matter how much man trespasses from that point forward, until man can act no more.
    All done, all paid.

IS EQUAL TO

A licence to sin.
    Galatians says that our " freedom in Christ" is not a licence to sin. What you preach is not freedom, it is fear of losing your salvation through sin. These are very different aspects of this issue.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 18:49
    Galatians says that our " freedom in Christ" is not a licence to sin. What you preach is not freedom, it is fear of losing your salvation through sin. These are very different aspects of this issue.
    You are mistaken.

Paul preaches that 'freedom in Christ' means freedom from the Law of Moses ie there is no burdensome list of laws to follow. But you still have to follow the law of Christ... mostly charity and love.

There is such a thing as losing your salvation through sin as Paul explained in several places, and which you are well aware of.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 18:50

All done, all paid.

IS EQUAL TO

A licence to sin.
    I taught my sons how to drive (the girls still a little bit too young yet), then sent them to the required classes for licensing in our state.
    Once they passed their tests and were given a driver's license, I gave them a car to drive.
    The car they drive has a speedometer which indicates the speed of their forward movements from zero to 140 MPH--- although it's a little four banger and I think the highest I ever got the thing was 95.

They could conceivably drive the far as fast as it can go, but that isn't a power imparted to them by their licenses, nor were they given the green light by me to drive the car at those excess speeds.

In fact, they were told in advance of driving on their own how a single speeding ticket would mean their privileges would be taken from them.

Just because they have a license, and just because their car allows them to speed, doesn't mean I allow it... even if I can't immediately stop it by virtue of the freedom I gave them.
    At some point, either physics or new information will step in with either deadly or merely restrictive consequences.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 19:021 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Just because they have a license, and just because their car allows them to speed, doesn't mean I allow it... even if I can't immediately stop it by virtue of the freedom I gave them.
    At some point, either physics or new information will step in with either deadly or merely restrictive consequences.
    So where are the consequences for you taking it up to 95?

I can understand you deliberately applying restrictive consequences to them for their own good. But would you ever punish them in a way that does not achieve that end? Would you punish them merely as retribution?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree