1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    30 Jul '14 20:572 edits
    Moving on from the "eternal suffering" topic, I would like to explore the beliefs here on whether or not Christians who commit suicide go to heaven or hell.

    This is possibly a less obviously controversial topic but I do invite those with a POV to state it and the reasons why.

    Just because we/you/they argue over it, does not necessarily mean that there is not love and compassion in those who do. We should contend for truth and contending is frequently contentious.

    Best.
  2. Territories Unknown
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    30 Jul '14 21:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Moving on from the "eternal suffering" topic, I would like to explore the beliefs here on whether or not Christians who commit suicide go to heaven or hell.

    This is possibly a less obviously controversial topic but I do invite those with a POV to state it and the reasons why.

    Just because we/you/they argue over it, does not mean necessarily mean t ...[text shortened]... in those who do. We should contend for truth and contending is frequently contentious.

    Best.
    No sin can outdo what has been done.
    When the Christ worked on the Cross, He worked to balance the scale of all sin.
    When the Christ died, He died having completing the work.
    God is not surprised by sin.
    Nothing can be added to the balance of sin, no matter how much man trespasses from that point forward, until man can act no more.
    All done, all paid.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    30 Jul '14 21:05
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    No sin can outdo what has been done.
    When the Christ worked on the Cross, He worked to balance the scale of all sin.
    When the Christ died, He died having completing the work.
    God is not surprised by sin.
    Nothing can be added to the balance of sin, no matter how much man trespasses from that point forward, until man can act no more.
    All done, all paid.
    From my POV I would say well put.

    My motivations in these threads and exchanges is to contend for the visibility of the breadth, depth and longevity of the mercy of God.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    30 Jul '14 21:121 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    From my POV I would say well put.

    My motivations in these threads and exchanges is to contend for the visibility of the breadth, depth and longevity of the mercy of God.
    Then you may find confirmation of this at:

    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14326b.htm

    Where suicide is generally considered a grave violation of duty to God, but:

    "God being the master of our life He may with His own consent remove from suicide whatever constitutes its disorder."

    and

    "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide."
  5. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    30 Jul '14 21:41
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    No sin can outdo what has been done.
    When the Christ worked on the Cross, He worked to balance the scale of all sin.
    When the Christ died, He died having completing the work.
    God is not surprised by sin.
    Nothing can be added to the balance of sin, no matter how much man trespasses from that point forward, until man can act no more.
    All done, all paid.
    Here we go again. .. the licence to sin principle.
    Very nice.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    30 Jul '14 23:03
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Here we go again. .. the licence to sin principle.
    Very nice.
    It is only "Here we go again" if people can't ignore it.
  7. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    30 Jul '14 23:33
    Originally posted by JS357
    It is only "Here we go again" if people can't ignore it.
    Nope. The 'here we go again' means here we go again Christians claiming the right to sin without consequence while the rest of the world cannot do that.

    Suicide apparently is therefore a dire sin except for Christians.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    31 Jul '14 00:13
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Nope. The 'here we go again' means here we go again Christians claiming the right to sin without consequence while the rest of the world cannot do that.

    Suicide apparently is therefore a dire sin except for Christians.
    Dive is conducting a poll, of sorts. I reported one (RCC) view. A mere collection of the already-voiced views is not a 'here we go again' moment except for the easily seduced. We needn't have our guns on the table for every deal.
  9. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    31 Jul '14 00:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    Dive is conducting a poll, of sorts. I reported one (RCC) view. A mere collection of the already-voiced views is not a 'here we go again' moment except for the easily seduced. We needn't have our guns on the table for every deal.
    Apparently you missed the Christian who posted the "getaway with sin free" doctrine and Divegeester wholeheartedly agreed. So everyone else pays for their sin of suicide except them.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    78560
    31 Jul '14 00:30
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Moving on from the "eternal suffering" topic, I would like to explore the beliefs here on whether or not Christians who commit suicide go to heaven or hell.

    This is possibly a less obviously controversial topic but I do invite those with a POV to state it and the reasons why.

    Just because we/you/they argue over it, does not necessarily mean that t ...[text shortened]... in those who do. We should contend for truth and contending is frequently contentious.

    Best.
    For a view from an agnostic. I'd have thought it depended on the reason for the suicide. Guy Fawkes was drawn and quartered, but he jumped from the scaffold with the noose about his neck and so broke his own neck which prevented him from being overly inconvenienced by the forthcoming procedure. This is technically a suicide, but under the circumstances I don't doubt anyone would regard it as a sin. I think the sin is to give up all hope. If the hope one has surrendered is only for one's own condition in this world, but not for everyone else and not for the next then it can hardly be called a sin.
  11. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    31 Jul '14 00:46
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    For a view from an agnostic. I'd have thought it depended on the reason for the suicide. Guy Fawkes was drawn and quartered, but he jumped from the scaffold with the noose about his neck and so broke his own neck which prevented him from being overly inconvenienced by the forthcoming procedure. This is technically a suicide, but under the circumstance ...[text shortened]... n this world, but not for everyone else and not for the next then it can hardly be called a sin.
    I think Christians who speak of suicide as if it is a grave sin really do not know the Bible. I would be very surprised if there is any clear statement about it. Those CHristians would be equally surprised if they knew that there is a case of God assisted suicide and it was not a sin.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    31 Jul '14 03:28
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Apparently you missed the Christian who posted the "getaway with sin free" doctrine and Divegeester wholeheartedly agreed.
    If you are going to make claims like this about me you need to provide the evidence or apologise.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86381
    31 Jul '14 03:31
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I think Christians who speak of suicide as if it is a grave sin really do not know the Bible. I would be very surprised if there is any clear statement about it. Those CHristians would be equally surprised if they knew that there is a case of God assisted suicide and it was not a sin.
    I don't think suicide being a sin is actually in the bible at all and yet I believe it is considered a mortal sin (I.e. One where you go to hell) in the catholic and possibly other creeds. I'd be interested to here from anyone here who knows first hand?
  14. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    31 Jul '14 12:421 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If you are going to make claims like this about me you need to provide the evidence or apologise.
    Freaky posted his Christian 'getaway with sin' doctrine:

    No sin can outdo what has been done.
    When the Christ worked on the Cross, He worked to balance the scale of all sin.
    When the Christ died, He died having completing the work.
    God is not surprised by sin.
    Nothing can be added to the balance of sin, no matter how much man trespasses from that point forward, until man can act no more.
    All done, all paid.


    And you agreed:

    [i]From my POV I would say well put.[i]

    What did I say that is wrong?
  15. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    31 Jul '14 12:431 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't think suicide being a sin is actually in the bible at all and yet I believe it is considered a mortal sin (I.e. One where you go to hell) in the catholic and possibly other creeds. I'd be interested to here from anyone here who knows first hand?
    Its one example of many where people place their own concocted doctrines above those of God and Christ.
Back to Top