1. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 20:53
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The happiest people generally don't know they are the happiest. It is those who are in good health have good marriages decent jobs and who steer clear of worldliness and a life based on materialism.
    Why do you think that they don't know that they are the happiest? In my experience people who do not base their lives on materialism are less likely than others to look at richer folk and think they must be happier.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 22:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I wasn't sure what the point was you were making, other than it's sad that more men in Auz commit suicide than die in car crashes and material wealth is not a solution.

Then I got to "prolly". That sort of speak grates to be honest. Where does it come from?
    I made it up. I shorten words. I don't like the uneccesary syllables. It's just a thing of mine.
    For example people's names (you often get called "Dive" ).
    I knew this guy call Alexander. 4 syllables. Now every single time we wanted to talk to this guy you had to use all four syllables. You couldn't call him "Alex".
    Fine I thought, if that guy was worth it, if he had brought something to the table. But no he was a naysayer, and just as plastic as hell. So I thought why use up 4 syllables every time I address a jerk?
    It kinda stemmed from there.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 22:351 edit
    Originally posted by OdBod
    In Australia,less vehicles per mile of road?
    We're getting road fatalities on the news all the time. and they are significant.
    More road and space also means more people drink driving because they think they can get away with it.
    The suicide thing is getting a bit more traction in the news, but you don't see the amount of resources allocated to suicide prevention as you do for car accidents.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Mar '17 23:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This gets so unbelievably tiring.
    I believe.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 02:43
    Originally posted by josephw
    I believe.
    That seems to be your problem 🙂
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 04:542 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I made it up. I shorten words. I don't like the uneccesary syllables. It's just a thing of mine.
    I knew this guy call Alexander. 4 syllables. Now every single time we wanted to talk to this guy you had to use all four syllables. You couldn't call him "Alex".
    Fine I thought, if that guy was w ...[text shortened]... So I thought why use up 4 syllables every time I address a jerk?
    I understand the shortening of names, this is a we'll known convention in the west for decades. But other than "prolly" (the use of which make you read like a juvenile) I've not seen you shorten other words.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 08:212 edits
    Fine I thought, if that guy was w ...[text shortened]... So I thought why use up 4 syllables every time I address a jerk?
    You made it up? Are you sure?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Prolly

I've used the word here before. I also don't remember grammar nazis ever reaming me out for it. It's in the same basket as "gonna" and "kinda", which I've also used here on occasion. It's just one more thing people with a stick up their ass love to bitch about.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 10:20
    So you are against antidisestablishmentarianism?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 21:30
    I understand the shortening of names, this is a we'll known convention in the west for decades. But other than "prolly" (the use of which make you read like a juvenile) I've not seen you shorten other words.
    It "Kinda" stems from there 😉
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 21:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You made it up? Are you sure?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Prolly

I've used the word here before. I also don't remember grammar nazis ever reaming me out for it. It's in the same basket as "gonna" and "kinda", which I've also used here on occasion. It's just one more thing people with a stick up their ass love to bitch about.
    I started using that term before I saw it on the internet because the internet was not around when I first used it.
    But I'm sure many others used it independently of me, especially in txts.
    Maybe I did hear it somewhere first. Definitely didn't read it
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Mar '17 21:381 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    So you are against antidisestablishmentarianism?
    Not at all.
    I only shorten when there seems no real need to use the whole word.
    Txt messaging is usually much more shortened.
    I still think it's good etiquette to use the correct words where needed.

It depends on a lot of stuff. Your vocabulary, or maybe a handicap that makes it harder tot type.
    Taking many thing into consideration, I try to type the way I would talk, without much recourse to cencorship or editting
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 03:251 edit
    Apparently more men die from suicide than car crashes in Australia....
    By the way, is Australia technically in the "West"?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 07:42
    By the way, is Australia technically in the "West"?
    I've been trying to use quotation marks 🙂

As far as Community allegiance it's U.S. no. 1, Britain no.2. .

We may as well be another U.S. state ... all things considered 😞
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 21:162 edits
    I've been trying to use quotation marks 🙂

As far as Community allegiance it's U.S. no. 1, Britain no.2. .

We may as well be another U.S. state ... all things considered 😞
    I just found the following. Do you think his views are in line with most Australians?
    Q: What do Australians think of Donald Trump?
    Peter Baskerville, Australian citizen. Lived here for over 50 years.

I think one non-American commentator summed up the Australian attitude about Donald Trump perfectly, when they said:

“Americans call it an election, but the rest of the world calls it a national I.Q. test”

See, Australians are all born with a bulls#!t metre. We see the con-artists, bulls#!ters and pork-pie (lie) tellers a mile off, and this Donald Trump fellow is without a doubt, the leader of the bulls#!ters band and has become the ‘pied piper’ of the gullible and blind.

It’s a famous quote but true … You are what you eat … and Americans seem to have been eating up so much ‘manufactured’ home-grown Reality TV, that they can no longer tell the difference between truth and fiction.

Donald Trump’s run for the presidency is built almost entirely on the Reality TV principle where viewers will vote for the most interesting, entertaining and controversial player in the game, just to ensure that their next watched episode in the game is unmissable.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Mar '17 22:41
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I just found the following. Do you think his views are in line with most Australians?
    Q: What do Australians think of Donald Trump?
    Peter Baskerville, Australian citizen. Lived here for over 50 years.

I think one non-American commentator summed up the Australian attitude about Donald Trump perfectly, when they said:

“Americans call it an el ...[text shortened]... he game, just to ensure that their next watched episode in the game is unmissable.

[/b]
    Yeah we got bs meters but we do get tired and worn down with costant negativity.

We got Pauline Hanson back with her "One Nation" stirring the pot of racial hate.
    I don't think she'll ever be prime minister , but don't underestimate the idiotic and uneducated people spread throughout the continent.
    We have responded to populist politicians as much as the U.S. or Britian

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree