1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Mar '17 23:541 edit
    All superstition should be weeded out from rational debate.
    This includes things like refugees being terrorists , drugs being universally bad for us, contributing to the economy in whatever way is a good thing ( in the long run? ) and a myriad of other plainly wrong points of view that are dealt with things like the source of the information, and the vilification of those who do not fit the right stereotypes (ageism,sexism,racism,etc. )
  2. Maryland
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 01:10
    It's bad luck to be superstitious!
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 01:34
    Originally posted by 667joe
    It's bad luck to be superstitious!
    It's always hard to avoid oxymorons, that's why you need to get into the spirit of a thread
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 06:19
    What's a "rational debate" thread doing in the spirituality forum?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 06:20
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    What's a "rational debate" thread doing in the spirituality forum?
    It's the answer to my absence of prayers.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 10:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    This includes things like refugees being terrorists , drugs being universally bad for us, contributing to the economy in whatever way is a good thing ( in the long run? ) and a myriad of other plainly wrong points of view that are dealt with things like the source of the information, and the vilification of those who do not fit the right stereotypes (ageism,sexism,racism,etc. )
    Well if you want rational debate you could start by not using the word 'superstition' to mean a whole range of things that the standard definition does not cover. I am not sure any of the things you listed can reasonably be called superstition.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 11:581 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well if you want rational debate you could start by not using the word 'superstition' to mean a whole range of things that the standard definition does not cover. I am not sure any of the things you listed can reasonably be called superstition.
    When you believe in things that you don't understand
    Then you suffer
    Superstition ain't the way

- S. Wonder

Is superstition belief in things we don't understand?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 12:032 edits
    None of this is superstition.
    I've never met or heard of anyone who thinks all refugees are terrorists
    I've never met or heard of anyone who thinks that drugs are universally bad for you
    I've never met or heard of anyone who regards the benefit of contributing to the economy as a superstition or falsehood
    Your last piece of sentence makes no sense...

I suggest you take less drugs, got back to your country of origin, get a job and make a positive contribution to the economy.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 13:33
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I've never met or heard of anyone who thinks all refugees are terrorists
    I've never met or heard of anyone who thinks that drugs are universally bad for you
    I've never met or heard of anyone who regards the benefit of contributing to the economy as a superstition or falsehood...
    So you agree with the op.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 13:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I suggest you take less drugs, got back to your country of origin, get a job and make a positive contribution to the economy.
    ha ha you identify yourself as a deplorable

despite the fact that you know nothing about the person you speak of, you are comfortable vomiting all over yourself
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 17:05
    Originally posted by JS357
    Is superstition belief in things we don't understand?
    No, I don't think so. Superstition is typically belief that you understand something when you don't. But the word means a bit more than that.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 17:321 edit
    i don't believe in superstition. But on occasion, with a sense of humor, "i knock on a piece of wood" to get rid of the gremlins. (in truth, i take my hat off and clunk my head, LOL)
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 19:20
    Originally posted by apathist
    So you agree with the op.
    What makes you think that?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 19:21
    Originally posted by apathist
    ha ha you identify yourself as a deplorable

despite the fact that you know nothing about the person you speak of, you are comfortable vomiting all over yourself
    Whoosh.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Mar '17 22:08
    I hears our prime ministers address to our country yesterday. Very strong. Jobs,industry,innovation,everything good about a virile apitalist country. Nomention of the planet we live on , the air we breathe. Luckily we sill follow reason

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree