1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 05:001 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why have the other religions faded into obscurity? Good question. I would agree with the exception of Islam. Lets consider the major religions of the world. We have Judism, Christianity, Islam, and far Eastern religions such as Hinduism and Budahism. The list of major world religions seems to be shrinking steadily from where it used to be. In fact, the ...[text shortened]... likes to be told there wrong. Why would I subject myself to such critism if there were no God?
    It's not so clear that this is the case.

Checking out these numbers collected by religioustolerance.org, we find that Christianity indeed is the largest religion by a significant margin. I would contend this has almost everything to do with the military imperialism of Western Europe and later the US. That's not exactly a noble way for the One True God to spread his message.

More glaring however are some interesting facts that undermine your claims.

1) Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world (Fourth, if you count 'Non-religion/Atheism). Judism in comparison is miniscule (.2% ). Clearly, Jews comprise such a small fraction of the world's population that any reference to them as part of the "Big Three" is grossly inaccurate. The misnomer arises from your religious bias rather than empirical fact. The true "Big Three" are Christianity, Islam, and Non-religious/Atheist with Hinduism coming in a close fourth.

2) The growth rate of Christianity is not outpacing population growth (i.e. its fraction of the world population is decreasing). The growth rates of Hinduism and Buddhism on the other hand are roughly stable in this regard. Islam is actually growing at an increasing rate. If we took the essence of your argument as sound, it would tell us that after about 600 years of Christian darkness Islam is finally rising to proclaim the truth. Neither you nor I believe that for one second though.

Also this stuck out like a sore thumb.

Why choose to believe the stories of the Bible instead of just taking the text to be a good moral code? It is because of one simple reason. There is a God.

So we know that God is real because the Bible says so, and we know that the Bible should be regarded as accurate because God is real . . .
    Can you see why I would be uncomfortable basing my faith on such an obvious circular position?
  2. Not Kansas
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 05:18
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I had not planned on responding to this thread as I sometimes grow kind of weary "faith threads." However I had an experience tonight that I will share as I am different tonight than I was yesterday or the day before in terms of faith.

A week ago today, my youngest daughter had a routine tonsilectomy. She did fine. The doctor talked about the risk ...[text shortened]... nce my faith beyond what I "learn" from the "shoulds" of life. Thanks for listening.
    From personal experience, nothing at all can be more terrifying than having kids.
    Or better.
    You just don't think about yourself anymore.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 07:19
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    For the theists...

What is the primary reason you have faith? Which [b]one
    option (if any) is the strongest motivation?

a) fear of hell or other punishments for not believing
    b) stop self-destructive behavior/bad habits
    c) taught by parent(s) or other mentors
    d) historical evidence/research
    e) to join a social network (local church or religious community)
    f) read religious text(s)[/b]
    Why did you leave 'God' out of the list of choices?
    I see that some answered with God as their reason, I would too.
    I was not raised Christian, didn't become one til I was 25, was not
    raised by any, didn't grow up near any, didn't really know any until I
    got saved.

Why did you leave God off your list?
    Kelly
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 07:40
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I had not planned on responding to this thread as I sometimes grow kind of weary "faith threads." However I had an experience tonight that I will share as I am different tonight than I was yesterday or the day before in terms of faith.

A week ago today, my youngest daughter had a routine tonsilectomy. She did fine. The doctor talked about the risk ...[text shortened]... nce my faith beyond what I "learn" from the "shoulds" of life. Thanks for listening.
    Man I don't you but I wish well for you & your daughter & family.
    Manny
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 07:43
    I meant I don't know sorry. Scarry stuff.
    Manny.....
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 07:56
    I always would hear that faith is believing in something you can't see.
    We can't see electricity( the flow of electrons) but we seee its results. I guess I'm one of those who just can't accept or believe in nothing if that makes any sense at all. I know every one has a different reason for faith or lack of. Imagine if this life is it then nothing!!! (worm food LOL) Then are not all of our dreams and goals and even living pointless?? For my mind at least I have to believe in something or it all seems pointless. We do excersise faith to some degree every day anyway. I would say that is my motivation of or to faith. Manny
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 07:57
    I will answer your question with another question. If the parents routinely used drugs in the household and were abusive to the child, does this mean the child will use drugs when he leaves the household and is more likely to end up in jail or even dead later on in his or her adult life? In a word, yes it is more likely. Does it mean this will happen 100% o ...[text shortened]... esponded to it. Only God can judge man. I cannot. I can only tell you what I know about him.
    I live on a remote island that practises cannibalism. We have never heard of christianity (except for me who reads christian posts). Will they go to hell because their parents wern't christian. I haven't seen God searching our isolated village. So could you elaborate.

ok a little extreem but you can understand.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 18:15
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why did you leave 'God' out of the list of choices?
    I see that some answered with God as their reason, I would too.
    I was not raised Christian, didn't become one til I was 25, was not
    raised by any, didn't grow up near any, didn't really know any until I
    got saved.

Why did you leave God off your list?
    Kelly
    You must have heard or read about 'God' somewhere, right? If you were told by others, that falls under "parents/mentors", and if you read it, it falls under "religious text(s)".
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 18:33
    Originally posted by menace71
    We can't see electricity( the flow of electrons) but we seee its results. I guess I'm one of those who just can't accept or believe in nothing if that makes any sense at all. I know every one has a different reason for faith or lack of. Imagine if this life is it then nothing!!! (wor ...[text shortened]... to some degree every day anyway. I would say that is my motivation of or to faith. Manny
    The definition of the word "faith" strongly emphasizes a belief in god, or a belief in something for which there is no proof. Accepting the existence of "Electricity" is not a matter of faith. Anyone who has seen a lightning strike has witnessed electron flow, and the laws that govern electricity (for example, Ohm's Law) have been proven many, many times.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 18:56
    I don't know about you but my brain needs a good washing every now and then.
    Funny that! Similar to the Christian church I do all my washing (laundry) on a Sunday morning too...
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 19:08
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Funny that! Similar to the Christian church I do all my washing (laundry) on a Sunday morning too...
    You may wish to cut down on the softener.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 21:39
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    There's the Spirituality.
    Yep.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 23:06
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You may wish to cut down on the softener.
    never used it. Except that stuff that's already combined in your laundry powder... Should do thought I suppose, softener is better for your clothes than your head....
  14. Joined
    25 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 23:14
    Originally posted by menace71
    We can't see electricity( the flow of electrons) but we seee its results. I guess I'm one of those who just can't accept or believe in nothing if that makes any sense at all. I know every one has a different reason for faith or lack of. Imagine if this life is it then nothing!!! (wor ...[text shortened]... to some degree every day anyway. I would say that is my motivation of or to faith. Manny
    i'm not really sure you helped yourself with that bad example. electricity can be seen and there is plently of proof of it. how are you able to read this right now - eleccy to the monitor, pc, modem, server etc.

now prove there is a god... as it's faith and faith alone you can't do it.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 23:41
    Originally posted by Rolfey
    i'm not really sure you helped yourself with that bad example. electricity can be seen and there is plently of proof of it. how are you able to read this right now - eleccy to the monitor, pc, modem, server etc.

now prove there is a god... as it's faith and faith alone you can't do it.
    Please, I beg of you: no more I-only-believe-what-I-can-measure posts. They are tiresome and keep us from the true meaning of these threads and posts, namely, insulting one another and refusing to ever finish any topic of discussion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree