1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 17:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Of course we all know the outrage that would be seen if a state ever made the Quran its official book.
    THEN all of a sudden it WOULD be a constitutional issue.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 20:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Of course we all know the outrage that would be seen if a state ever made the Quran its official book.
    Since both that and this legislative action in Tennessee are both unconstitutional, yes, there would be outrage. Despite what you think is "Christians siding with Christians" many here ARE outraged by this action in Tennessee. It is clearly unconstitutional.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 21:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Since both that and this legislative action in Tennessee are both unconstitutional, yes, there would be outrage. Despite what you think is "Christians siding with Christians" many here ARE outraged by this action in Tennessee. It is clearly unconstitutional.
    There is a serious argument to the effect that this action by the Tennessee legislature is in fact bringing Christianity into disrepute. The American Taliban does for Christianity what the Taliban have done for Islam.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 21:18
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/tennessee-makes-bible-the-states-official-book/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Having already made a .50-caliber sniper gun the official state rifle, Tennessee lawmakers on Monday gave final approval to making the Holy Bible the state’s official book.

The state Senate voted 19-8 in favor of the bill despite arguments by the state attorn ...[text shortened]... being placed alongside other state symbols such as the official tree, flower, rock or amphibian.
    Gee whiz, why should this be abnormal? American history tells us early Americans had the bible as the ONLY school book.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 04:47
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Gee whiz, why should this be abnormal? American history tells us early Americans had the bible as the ONLY school book.
    Because it's 2016. We also don't kill "witches" like Christians back then did.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 05:54
    Originally posted by finnegan
    There is a serious argument to the effect that this action by the Tennessee legislature is in fact bringing Christianity into disrepute. The American Taliban does for Christianity what the Taliban have done for Islam.
    A few twit redneck "Christians" in Tennessee aren't going to "bring the Bible and Christianity into disrepute". All they're doing is making themselves look stupid.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 06:15
    A few twit redneck "Christians" in Tennessee aren't going to "bring the Bible and Christianity into disrepute". All they're doing is making themselves look stupid.
    The Tennessee legislature and its decisions, for all intents and purposes, represent the body politic and entire population of the state, and not only "a few twit rednecks". You say, all "twit rednecks" are doing is making themselves look stupid, but I think what has happened here is the entire state of Tennessee has made itself look stupid. I don't see what is to be gained from downplaying it.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 08:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Tennessee legislature and its decisions, for all intents and purposes, represent the body politic and entire population of the state, and not only "a few twit rednecks". You say, all "twit rednecks" are doing is making themselves look stupid, but I think what has happened here is the entire state of Tennessee has made itself look stupid. I don't see what is to be gained from downplaying it.
    I think saddling everyone in the state with blame for the actions of state legislators is "spreading the blame" a bit too thin.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '16 08:521 edit
    I think saddling everyone in the state with blame for the actions of state legislators is "spreading the blame" a bit too thin.
    I'm not saddling everyone with the blame, as you well know. I'm saying that trying to pass off the actions of everyone's legislature as something done by 'a few twits' is downplaying the bad light this casts across Tennessee and its Christian communities.

How many Christians were involved in trying to block the decision? If it was the deed of just 'a few twits', how could all those Christians fail to block it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree