1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 17:36
    why do people thank god for their success? isnt it egotistical to think you have been singled out for special treatment? ive been told on this forum that we are being punished for the sins of adam and we have been separated from god, this ive been told is why bad things happen to humans. so why would a christian think they are favored by god? having just watched blubba watson choking up when thanking jesus (before he mentions his wife or new baby) and seen on many occasions football (soccer) players point to the heavens or cross their chest after scoring a goal. i wonder if god were real would he really be bothered who wins the golf or football tournament?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 19:03
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    why do people thank god for their success? isnt it egotistical to think you have been singled out for special treatment? ive been told on this forum that we are being punished for the sins of adam and we have been separated from god, this ive been told is why bad things happen to humans. so why would a christian think they are favored by god? having jus ...[text shortened]... i wonder if god were real would he really be bothered who wins the golf or football tournament?
    What's even more amusing is that, from what I can tell, they do so because they see it as a demonstration of humility toward God/Jesus when the reality is that they are basking in the glory of their personal achievements. Perhaps they believe this superficial demonstration makes them appear humble in the eyes of others. Of course, anyone with eyes can see through the facade.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 19:17
    why do people thank god for their success? isnt it egotistical to think you have been singled out for special treatment? ive been told on this forum that we are being punished for the sins of adam and we have been separated from god, this ive been told is why bad things happen to humans. so why would a christian think they are favored by god? having jus ...[text shortened]... i wonder if god were real would he really be bothered who wins the golf or football tournament?
    Let's play devil's advocate.

If God didn't want Bubba Watson to win, he could have arranged things so someone else won, right? He knew in advance that Bubba Watson was going to win if he let things proceed naturally. The fact that he did not intervene shows that it was God's will that Bubba Watson should win. Therefore, Bubba Watson is justified in thanking God for the win.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 19:24
    I thank good for the success that he has done for me.

Don't pray or thank like this:Luke 18:9-14
    The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
    9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
    13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 19:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Let's play devil's advocate.

If God didn't want Bubba Watson to win, he could have arranged things so someone else won, right?.
    maybe bubba was the other person, maybe he won because he got bumped up one place because didnt want the other guy to win. either way the man thanking god is selecting himself for special attention from god and god is choosing winners in golf tournements which seems rather childish behavior.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 19:53

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 20:20
    maybe bubba was the other person, maybe he won because he got bumped up one place because didnt want the other guy to win. either way the man thanking god is selecting himself for special attention from god and god is choosing winners in golf tournements which seems rather childish behavior.
    Would you agree that God cannot avoid choosing the winner?
  8. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 20:49
    I only thank God when I am amazed by how a situation has resolved itself. I have thanked God many times for what I perceived as help. Then I heard this horrible story about a small girl being rapped for many days, and then buried alive by some nut down in Florida. I thought no amount of trouble I have ever been in adds up to that highmare for a poor innocent. I ask why did God not intervene on things like this. Is it because the little girl did not pray for help ? You have to ask yourself what God would need to be asked for help in such a situation. When the Jews were being slaughtered why not a little bit of intervention ? It makes me question the whole praying for help thing .
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 16:05
    Would you agree that God cannot avoid choosing the winner?
    i cant see why he would choose a winner? i dont think knowing the outcome and not changing it is choosing.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 16:24
    i cant see why he would choose a winner? i dont think knowing the outcome and not changing it is choosing.
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." -Geddy Lee

So if I see a rape about to happen, and do nothing, I am not choosing not to intervene?
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 18:25

So if I see a rape about to happen, and do nothing, I am not choosing not to intervene?
    the only choice made in the geddy quote is not to choose, it doesnt mean that god in this situation has chosen to help the outcome. if i role a dice i have set the wheels in motion for an outcome but i havent chosen what that outcome will be.
    i guess you could argue that if god was building a dice and as he made it he could see every outcome of that dice and he kept altering until he had a history of rolls he liked, then i guess you could say he has picked the outcome of all the role. if he was looking into the future as he made history and was basing the structure of events based on who's prayers he was deciding to answer then he could not choose at the time but have already chosen during the creation of history. it would make everything pointless though if he not only knows everything thats going to happen but also decided at the begining of time what whould happen. makes him a bit of nut job.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 19:30
    the only choice made in the geddy quote is not to choose, it doesnt mean that god in this situation has chosen to help the outcome. if i role a dice i have set the wheels in motion for an outcome but i havent chosen what that outcome will be.
    i guess you could argue that if god was building a dice and as he made it he could see every outcome of that d ...[text shortened]... happen but also decided at the begining of time what whould happen. makes him a bit of nut job.
    Good show. I think I'm ready to abandon my devil's advocate position now.

The jury is still out on causality. If we knew for sure that every action is connectable by causal chains that all lead back to the beginning of the Universe, then God would have no way out. But we don't know that yet.

Sure, he could intervene and make someone of his choice win, but I will accept your contention that he is not really choosing the winner if he does not intervene.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 21:59
    Good show. I think I'm ready to abandon my devil's advocate position now.

The jury is still out on causality. If we knew for sure that every action is connectable by causal chains that all lead back to the beginning of the Universe, then God would have no way out. But we don't know that yet.

Sure, he could intervene and make someone of his choice w ...[text shortened]... ll accept your contention that he is not really choosing the winner if he does not intervene.

This quote refers to man, not God. Man was given free will, and because of this, in most cases it is not for God to intervene. Man has to live or die on his own choices, whether one is talking about this life, or the hereafter. What is so hard for people to understand is that these choices are all equally important, whether we are talking about the loftiest, saintly choices of man, or the choices which lead to base depravity. Yes, it IS our choice. And yes, not deciding is a choice, too. But a choice of man, not God. God cannot choose to sin. Man can, and often does.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 22:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne

This quote refers to man, not God. Man was given free will, and because of this, in most cases it is not for God to intervene. Man has to live or die on his own choices, whether one is talking about this life, or the hereafter. What is so hard for people to understa ...[text shortened]... oice, too. But a choice of man, not God. God cannot choose to sin. Man can, and often does.
    Sorry, but I just don't buy this argument. If I stop a rape from happening, I have not deprived the rapist of his free will in any way. I have simply stopped him from being successful in the execution of what he wills.

You said "in most cases it is not for God to intervene." That's pretty audacious. Can you explain when it is justified for God to intervene and when it is not? Where do you draw the line?

I don't agree that all choices are equally important.

"God cannot choose to sin" is tautological. Sin is a breaking of God's commandments. God exempts himself from his own rules, so obviously he cannot sin, by definition.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 00:10

So SwissGambit votes that man should not have had the ability to sin with swift intervention from God to stop them.

Anyone else?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree