1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 11:57
    how come those trappist monks are so good at brewing beer? its the closest ive ever come to accepting the existence of god, beers so fine, surly they exhibit the touch of the divine.....or maybe i haven't sobered up yet.

is it just europe or do all monks of the globe have amazing brewing skills?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 12:04
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    how come those trappist monks are so good at brewing beer? its the closest ive ever come to accepting the existence of god, beers so fine, surly they exhibit the touch of the divine.....or maybe i haven't sobered up yet.

ummm have you tasted Buckfast?
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 13:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no, i googled it and it came up with a fortified tonic wine? is that like a fizzy port?
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 14:54

I think it is mostly just a European monastary thing although I'm sure if you scoured far and wide you'll find monks somewhere else in the world brewing.

One thing monks have is plenty of time and luckily for us some of them have used that time refining the art of brewing.

I visited this place in Bavaria a couple of years ago.

http://www.andechs.de/kloster-andechs.html

The scenery was beautiful, the beer hall was beautiful, and the beer was amazing (especially the dark Dopplebock). Luckily my wife and I got a hotel a short walk away at the bottom of the hill because I definately did not have both legs underneath me when I left that beer hall.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 15:02

2000 years ago the disciples enjoyed barley beer in moderation with their seafood picnics by the sea.

😉
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 15:07
    no, i googled it and it came up with a fortified tonic wine? is that like a fizzy port?
    yes it is, its has almost the same consistency as strawberry jam, although rather more potent.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 15:15
    I have say as well that monks can be very practical people. They would often brew a stronger/heavier/more nutricous beer for the fasting period before easter because technically liquid did not break the fast.

You see several modern day breweries in Germany recognizing the tradition by brewing a lentbier or fastenbier that they serve up in February/March time frame. Like this one here:

http://www.schlenkerla.de/rauchbier/sorten/fastenbiere.html
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 18:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    That stuff is lethal. Who ever came up with the idea of jamming an overdose of caffeine into a bottle of thunderbird? I'm surprised it's legal, frankly.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    That stuff is lethal. Who ever came up with the idea of jamming an overdose of caffeine into a bottle of thunderbird? I'm surprised it's legal, frankly.
    you think that's bad, here they lace it with copious amounts of amphetamines!
    Lanarkshire is the Buckfast capital of the UK! I once visited the Abbey way down in
    Devon, but it was closed although I did manage to catch a glimpse of the black frocked
    friars!
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 01:51
    Actually thats another thumbs up for the JW's.
    The apple liqour that my former brother-in-laws grandad brewed was quite fine.
    Better than the shops.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 18:17
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Actually thats another thumbs up for the JW's.
    The apple liqour that my former brother-in-laws grandad brewed was quite fine.
    Better than the shops.
    I'm a great fan of cider brandy. Bulmers make a delicious brew called "King Offa's Cider Brandy" which really tickles the taste buds. Double distilled and aged for 10 years in oak barrels too. Surprised it's not a bigger seller, really.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 01:09
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I'm a great fan of cider brandy. Bulmers make a delicious brew called "King Offa's Cider Brandy" which really tickles the taste buds. Double distilled and aged for 10 years in oak barrels too. Surprised it's not a bigger seller, really.
    Sounds good 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree