1. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    07 Feb '13 23:37
    A question for those that call themselves Atheist. Do you have an inner voice that speaks to you at various times, maybe when you are making a difficult decision or in the case or morality?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 13:10
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    A question for those that call themselves Atheist. Do you have an inner voice that speaks to you at various times, maybe when you are making a difficult decision or in the case or morality?
    Yes I have a voice inside my head... It's mine.

It's a process called thinking, people should do it more often.

And in answer to the obvious line this is taking (well done on the subtlety)...

No, Neither I, nor anyone else, has god whispering in our heads giving advice.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 15:561 edit
    From what I gather, all human beings have what is commonly referred to as a 'conscience'. Perhaps with the exception of psychopaths, sociopaths, etc., whose consciences are at best, extremely faulty. I have no reason to believe that psychopaths, sociopaths, etc. are more prevalent amongst atheists or other non-Christians.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 16:07
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    From what I gather, all human beings have what is commonly referred to as a 'conscience'. Perhaps with the exception of psychopaths, sociopaths, etc., whose consciences are at best, extremely faulty. I have no reason to believe that psychopaths, sociopaths, etc. are more prevalent amongst atheists or other non-Christians.
    Although there have been studies that suggest that they are much more common among
    city bankers and high finance than the background normal... Which might explain a few things.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 16:12
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Although there have been studies that suggest that they are much more common among
    city bankers and high finance than the background normal... Which might explain a few things.
    Greed and/or desire for power does seem to have a way of limiting conscience.
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 16:25
    Greed and/or desire for power does seem to have a way of limiting conscience.
    So does extreme religious views.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 16:30
    Originally posted by OdBod
    So does extreme religious views.
    Agreed.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 17:17

I think you should see a psychiatrist to help you deal with that voice inside your head. 😏
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 17:24
    Psycholgists and most Christian ministers go through training to help others deal with the conscience. 😏
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 18:28

Well actually there is no subtlety at all; my question on the surface is what it is underneath, WYSIWYG... so to speak. My reason for the question has nothing to do with spiritual matters at all really, so your assumptions about me and where I may be headed with the OP are mistaken. I probably should have posted in the debate/science forum, but this is where I landed.

My follow-up question to the OP is how can one prove or disprove that there is a conscience at all that we use, more specifically science. Can it detect a conversation that we may be having with ourselves, thinking through a difficult decision, trying to decide on a morality issue? God whispering in our heads giving advice? Can this be done and to what end?

Now that to me is a fairly arrogant statement.

How do you know what goes on in other’s heads. Don’t you think the thing you reject for yourself may be evident someone else?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 18:411 edit
    Well actually there is no subtlety at all; my question on the surface is what it is underneath, WYSIWYG... so to speak. My reason for the question has nothing to do with spiritual matters at all really, so your assumptions about me and where I may be headed with the OP are mistaken. I probably should have posted in the debate/science forum, but this is wher ...[text shortened]... n other’s heads. Don’t you think the thing you reject for yourself may be evident someone else?
    My reason for the question has nothing to do with spiritual matters at all really, so your assumptions about me and where I may be headed with the OP are mistaken. I probably should have posted in the debate/science forum, but this is where I landed.

Are you seriously trying to make this claim in the face of the fact that your posts include the following?

A question for those that call themselves Atheist...

Can it detect a conversation that we may be having with ourselves, thinking through a difficult decision, trying to decide on a morality issue? God whispering in our heads giving advice? Can this be done and to what end?
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    08 Feb '13 21:02
    [b]My reason for the question has nothing to do with spiritual matters at all really, so your assumptions about me and where I may be headed with the OP are mistaken. I probably should have posted in the debate/science forum, but this is where I landed.

Are you seriously trying to make this claim in the face of the fact that your ...[text shortened]... ? God whispering in our heads giving advice? Can this be done and to what end?
    [/quote][/b]
    I am going to sound crass here, but aren't you the guy that is always pestering other posters when they don't answer your questions 'exactly' as you put them on threads, aren't you the guy that is consistently criticizing others when people misinterpret your intentions/meaning in threads?

(OP): A question for those that call themselves Atheist. Do you have an inner voice that speaks to you at various times, maybe when you are making a difficult decision or in the case or morality?

For some, they may interpret this question to mean a voice as it relates to God, for others it may have nothing to do with God but something else. What do you say, do you have that inner voice, conscience, struggles with decision, etc?

Question #1 for ThinkofOne: How do you interpret a conversation, thinking process, internal struggle, voice, making a difficult decision, etc. in your head. Do you have an inner voice?

Question #2 (OP Follow-up): How can one prove or disprove that there is a conscience at all that we use, more specifically science. Can it detect a conversation that we may be having with ourselves, thinking through a difficult decision, trying to decide on a morality issue? God whispering in our heads giving advice? (insert sarcasm, tongue and cheek) Can this be done and to what end?

For some reason you had failed to see the sarcasm in me adding “God whispering in our heads giving advice” into my response which was a comment that GoogleFudge had made to me, these are not my words.

Are you seriously trying to make this claim in the face of the fact that your posts include the following?

I am not claiming anything, my post probably has more to do with something of a scientific nature than anything else. My post is what it is and nothing more, where it goes who knows; I would not be surprised if we ended up talking about pancakes.

Question #2 for ThinkofOne: Can you answer my follow-up question to the OP as I responded to GoogleFudge or not. Drop the “God is… advice” part if you wish, how about the OP?

I am guilty of going off topic just as much as the next guy, but lets drop the semantics over my intentions as I have clearly stated them as they are right now and talk about internal thoughts, conversations, 'God whispering in our heads giving advice' 🙄 and if it can be detected, ok?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 00:08
    I am going to sound crass here, but aren't you the guy that is always pestering other posters when they don't answer your questions 'exactly' as you put them on threads, aren't you the guy that is consistently criticizing others when people misinterpret your intentions/meaning in threads?

(OP): A question for those that call themselves Atheist. Do you have ...[text shortened]... versations, 'God whispering in our heads giving advice' 🙄 and if it can be detected, ok?
    I am going to sound crass here, but aren't you the guy that is always pestering other posters when they don't answer your questions 'exactly' as you put them on threads,

Sometimes. It's almost always when posters avoid questions that get to the crux of the matter under discussion in order avoid having their beliefs/claims scrutinized. This avoidance can take the form of providing answers to questions that aren't being asked or not answering altogether. Why do you seem to have a problem with that?

aren't you the guy that is consistently criticizing others when people misinterpret your intentions/meaning in threads?

Sometimes. When they misrepresent what I've said. Why do you seem to have a problem with that?

For some reason you had failed to see the sarcasm in me adding “God whispering in our heads giving advice” into my response which was a comment that GoogleFudge had made to me, these are not my words.

I suggest that if you want quoted text to be taken as a quote, use quotation marks.

I am not claiming anything...
    The claim to which I was referring was the following:
    "My reason for the question has nothing to do with spiritual matters at all really...".

Seemed like having placed that text in bold in my post would have been sufficient for you understand that, but evidently not. It seemed an odd claim to make given that you directed your question to "atheists" and seemed to ask a question about "God".

BTW, I've already answered the question given in the OP, so I don't know why you're asking me to answer it again. As to the followup questions you originally asked of GF, I don't really have an interest in those lines of inquiry.

If you need clarification on any of the above, please feel free to ask.
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 00:19
    [b]I am going to s...[text shortened]... As to the followup questions you originally asked of GF, I don't really have an interest in those lines of inquiry.

If you need clarification on any of the above, please feel free to ask.
    I'm good, thanks for your honesty.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    09 Feb '13 00:35
    Well actually there is no subtlety at all; my question on the surface is what it is underneath, WYSIWYG... so to speak. My reason for the question has nothing to do with spiritual matters at all really, so your assumptions about me and where I may be headed with the OP are mistaken. I probably should have posted in the debate/science forum, but this is wher ...[text shortened]... n other’s heads. Don’t you think the thing you reject for yourself may be evident someone else?

Now that to me is a fairly arrogant statement.

How do you know what goes on in other’s heads. Don’t you think the thing you reject for yourself may be evident someone else?

Nothing arrogant about the statement Reveal Hidden Content
    it is more true than the statement that you are a chocolate biscuit disguised as a human. Hell how do I know you\'re NOT a chocolate biscuit!? perhaps there is some great big conspiracy going on and that you are indeed a walking, talking, physics baulking biscuit - impervious to any acts on our parts that might otherwise uncloak your true non-human identity!!\rHow could we conclusively prove this is not the case!???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree