The Arrogance of Theism and Atheism

The Arrogance of Theism and Atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Yes, i have seen pictures of them on the little paper bags that the dentist gives when you get a tooth out.
when you can explain why it is arrogant to claim that elves, pixies, unicorns, dragons, fairies, Santa and other mythical / magical creatures don't exist, then maybe we will accept that it is arrogant to claim that God does not exist.

However, as others have pointed out, most atheist do not claim that they know for a fact that God does not exist. All they claim is that in the absence of objective evidence that he does, it is not rational to believe that he does.

When there is a lack of evidence for the existence of 'something', and the state of the universe is explained just as easily without that 'something', then the default rational position has to be that the 'something' does not exist.

Look up the 'null hypothesis'.

--- Penguin.

rc

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
it been repeated on here so many times.....but one more for good-luck.

just like skepticism isnt a belief. atheism is not a belief.

you keep trying to turn it into a thing, a thing so it can be compared to religious beliefs. but it cant. it is not a description of a system. it means one thing and one thing only. everything else is baggage brought ...[text shortened]... bability claims are issue you have with common or uncommon attitudes of like-minded individuals.
please note the phrase,

so atheism it self cannot be labelled as anything but a non-belief in god - your words,

a non-belief is still a belief although negative and if you go beyond stating that its a belief as you have done you are entering the realms of claiming that its a true non-belief, a truth claim, for which there is no evidence or for which none has been produced so far, making it irrational and unscientific, the very claims that atheists make against theists.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 May 13

Yes, i have seen pictures of them on the little paper bags that the dentist gives when you get a tooth out.
If you wish others to engage in a sensible and honest debate with you, you should at least practice what you preach.

Do you believe fairies exist?

rc

Moves
09 May 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Penguin
when you can explain why it is arrogant to claim that elves, pixies, unicorns, dragons, fairies, Santa and other mythical / magical creatures don't exist, then maybe we will accept that it is arrogant to claim that God does not exist.

However, as others have pointed out, most atheist do not claim that they know for a fact that God does not exist. A that the 'something' does not exist.

Look up the 'null hypothesis'.

--- Penguin.
I thought i made this perfectly obvious, to make a claim without substantiating evidence and to insist that its true without evidence is arrogant, the article points out as much.

If you are saying that atheism is simply a belief, then fine, we are in agreement, when you start to go beyond that and claim that there is no God, then you are making a truth claim, for which you have not the slightest substantiating evidence and that is arrogant, irrational and unscientific.

The theist has plenty of evidence from which he draws inferences about God and the design of the universe, too make the claim that there is no evidence is simply a falsehood or ignorance of what is considered evidence, again all you can say with any certainty that the evidence to you does not seem plausible, to go beyond that and state that there is no evidence, is arrogant and to insist that there is a default position, even more so.

rc

Moves
09 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
If you wish others to engage in a sensible and honest debate with you, you should at least practice what you preach.

Do you believe fairies exist?
I cannot say whether they exist or do not exist, one must remain open minded and consider any evidence, this is both rational and scientific.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 May 13

I cannot say whether they exist or do not exist, one must remain open minded and consider any evidence.
I'm not asking whether they exist, I'm asking if you 'believe' they exist?

rc

Moves
09 May 13
1 edit

I'm not asking whether they exist, I'm asking if you 'believe' they exist?
I would like to think that they do, but i have never seen one, except on depictions. It depend what you mean by exist, i certainly believe they exist in the imagination.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 May 13

I would like to think that they do, but i have never seen one, except on depictions. It depend what you mean by exist, i certainly believe they exist in the imagination.
Do you believe fairies live in the bottom of people's gardens? Real life, in the flesh such as dogs and cats are real life and in the flesh.

rc

Moves
09 May 13
2 edits

Do you believe fairies live in the bottom of people's gardens? Real life, in the flesh such as dogs and cats are real life and in the flesh.
I have never seen any, but that is not to say that there are none. Can you get to the point, what is it you are trying to say with regard to belief?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
09 May 13

I have never seen any, but that is not to say that there are none. Can you get to the point, what is it you are trying to say with regard to belief?
I want a straight answer to the question which you have been dodging since page one of this thread - Do you believe fairies exist?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 May 13

A popular argument among philosophers and pseudo-philosophers is the existence or nonexistence of God. Even though many philosophers have long pointed out the futility of having the debate, in certain circles it rages on. A circle is the proper analogy for that debate, because it has neither beginning nor end and never gets beyond itself.

Standing ...[text shortened]... f free of any attempt to coerce or condemn different beliefs.

http://philosophyotb.com/w/?p=5
It's like reading the Awake magazine.

rc

Moves
09 May 13

I want a straight answer to the question which you have been dodging since page one of this thread - Do you believe fairies exist?
I have told you that I have no way of knowing whether they exist or not and have formed no beliefs as to their existence or otherwise.

Moves
09 May 13

do you accept the possibility that faeries might not exist?

rc

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
do you accept the possibility that faeries might not exist?
I dunno, you and proper knob seem quite real.

rc

Moves
09 May 13

Originally posted by josephw
It's like reading the Awake magazine.
huh?