1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '13 10:39
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    in your opinion am i an atheist?
    I dont know, do you profess to have knowledge of the non existence of God.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 May '13 10:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I dont know, do you profess to have knowledge of the non existence of God.
    really? you dont know? if you are going to be childish and difficult over every little detail what hope do we have of rationally discussing anything?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '13 10:51
    dont you realise that every time someone say I dont believe in fairies, a fairy dies? what kind of murderer would do such a thing?
    So you believe in fairies? That explains a lot.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '13 10:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you believe in fairies? That explains a lot.
    thank you for demonstrating the matter at hand, it was only a matter of time.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '13 10:56
    really? you dont know? if you are going to be childish and difficult over every little detail what hope do we have of rationally discussing anything?
    now now, stick to the script, no need of becoming petulant because your atheistic sensibilities were seemingly offended by some innocent assertion. If you profess atheism, then surely you must have some knowledge regarding the non existence of God?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '13 10:58
    thank you for demonstrating the matter at hand, it was only a matter of time.
    What else could I do, you clearly won't give an honest answer to the question I asked because it would show the ridiculousness of the claim in the OP. You'd rather admit to believing fairies than give an honest answer.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:041 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What else could I do, you clearly won't give an honest answer to the question I asked because it would show the ridiculousness of the claim in the OP. You'd rather admit to believing fairies than give an honest answer.
    I have conducted myself with exemplary decorum, its not my fault the logic is unassailable and you need to resort to condescending remarks, is it. Instead of continuing in the usual vein of the now obligatory ad hominem (seeking to justify your arguments on the basis of making an attack on the proposers personality, assertions of dishonesty, please see above) why not try to consider even a little of the content of the actual article, hmmm? just for a change
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:06
    now now, stick to the script, no need of becoming petulant because your atheistic sensibilities were seemingly offended by some innocent assertion. If you profess atheism, then surely you must have some knowledge regarding the non existence of God?
    my what sensibilities? my 'atheist' sensibilities?? i thought you didnt know, now you do. now, who exactly is the petulant one?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:15
    my what sensibilities? my 'atheist' sensibilities?? i thought you didnt know, now you do. now, who exactly is the petulant one?
    ok, can we stick to the arguments, do you have knowledge of the non existence of God or do you not?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:29
    ok, can we stick to the arguments, do you have knowledge of the non existence of God or do you not?
    okay, just to keep things moving. despite your silly attempts to be a smart arse.

i am an atheist. i, as ive already told you believe that there is zero evidence for a god, making the odds so low as to be non existent. you defined this as a probability claim.

so my atheism is a probability claim
    yet you still insist atheism is a truth claim.

thus making the absolute claim - atheism is arrogant because it is a truth claim - is wrong.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:30
    dont you realise that every time someone say I dont believe in fairies, a fairy dies? what kind of murderer would do such a thing?
    Do you believe fairies exist?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:382 edits
    okay, just to keep things moving. despite your silly attempts to be a smart arse.

i am an atheist. i, as ive already told you believe that there is zero evidence for a god, making the odds so low as to be non existent. you defined this as a probability claim.

thus making the absolute claim - atheism is arrogant because it is a truth claim - is wrong.
    smart arse? is that a condescending remark? oh dear.

there is a difference between subjective beliefs and what can be established objectively, is there not? Your atheism is a belief, a subjective evaluation, for which you can provided not a shred of objective evidence. To lay the claim, that there is no God, a truth claim, an absolute truth claim in fact, without substantiating evidence, is irrational and unscientific and arrogant.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:39
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Do you believe fairies exist?
    Yes, i have seen pictures of them on the little paper bags that the dentist gives when you get a tooth out.
  14. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 May '13 11:40

It would indeed be the height of arrogance to assume that the word 'atheism' has a single, tightly defined and universally accepted meaning and, even more so, that all 'atheists' make the same claim about the existence of God.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 May '13 12:02
    smart arse? is that a condescending remark? oh dear.

there is a difference between subjective beliefs and what can be established objectively, is there not? Your atheism is a belief, a subjective evaluation, for which you can provided not a shred of objective evidence. To lay the claim, that there is no God, a truth claim, an absolute truth claim in fact, without substantiating evidence, is irrational and unscientific and arrogant.
    it been repeated on here so many times.....but one more for good-luck.

just like skepticism isnt a belief. atheism is not a belief.

you keep trying to turn it into a thing, a thing so it can be compared to religious beliefs. but it cant. it is not a description of a system. it means one thing and one thing only. everything else is baggage brought along by the individual. each individual can bring anything as long as it doesnt contradict the simple meaning of the word.

so atheism it self cannot be labelled as anything but a non-belief in god. any thing else like morals and truth/probability claims are issue you have with common or uncommon attitudes of like-minded individuals.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree