1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 00:311 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." - Matthew 5:48 , KJV

This is the goal. Not many make it. But we don't just stop trying.

I see this as a promise and a prophesy.

You shall be perfect as the heavenly Father, like Romans 8:28,29 or Ephesians 1:4,5

A few English renderings:

Berean Literal Bible
    You shall be perfect, therefore, as your Heavenly Father is perfect.

New American Standard Bible
    "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

New American Standard 1977
    “Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

American Standard Version
    Ye therefore shall be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

English Revised Version
    Ye therefore shall be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Weymouth New Testament
    You however are to be complete in goodness, as your Heavenly Father is complete.

World English Bible
    Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Young's Literal Translation
    ye shall therefore be perfect, as your Father who is in the heavens is perfect.

That is SONS that will eventually express the Father whose life is imparted into them and in whose life they will grow in full salvation.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 01:012 edits
    Originally posted by @sonship
    "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." - Matthew 5:48 , KJV

This is the goal. Not many make it. But we don't just stop trying.

I see this as a promise and a prophesy.

You shall be perfect as the heavenly Father, like [b]Romans 8:28,29 or Ephesians 1:4,5

A few English renderings:

[q ...[text shortened]... the Father whose life is imparted into them and in whose life they will grow in full salvation.[/b]
    Actually Jesus is setting the standard of righteousness required to "enter the kingdom of heaven".

Matthew 5
    20“For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
    48“Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

In 5:20 Jesus tells them that their righteousness must surpass " that of the scribes and Pharisees".

In 5:21-47 Jesus cites several examples of where the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees falls short.

In 5:48 Jesus plainly states the standard of righteousness required to enter the kingdom of heaven:
    "...you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect".

You really need to learn how to read in context. As do others for that matter.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 11:051 edit
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Actually Jesus is setting the standard of righteousness required to "enter the kingdom of heaven".

That is true also.

Matthew 5
    20“For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

That is true. Those who would enter into the manifestation of the kingdom of the heavens are to live the highest level of morality.

No argument from me about that.

I point out that the demand of the kingdom is met by the supply of Christ as their life.

It is His good pleasure to see them through. So they should not fear but have confidence in God's will.

"Do not be afraid, little flock, because your Father has been well pleased to give you the kingdom." (Luke 12:32)

We should not get the wrong impression that the Father does NOT want men to enter into the kingdom of the heavens. It is His good pleasure that He bring them in. He is their begetting Father.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 11:06

48“Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

So men should repent for the kingdom of the heavens.
    They should repent to be under God's administration and in God's government.

This meets not only the need of man. More importantly it meets the need of God. He is well please to bring them in because it meets His need to have kingdom to regain the earth from Satan's usurping rebellion.

In 5:20 Jesus tells them that their righteousness must surpass " that of the scribes and Pharisees".

That is correct - a righteousness which is genuine and without hypocrisy. A thoroughly subjective righteousness not of how you ACT but of how you REACT. That is a spontaneous highest moral living.

The demand is divine. And the Supply to enable men and women to rise to the demand is also divine.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 11:061 edit

In 5:21-47 Jesus cites several examples of where the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees falls short.

In 5:48 Jesus plainly states the standard of righteousness required to enter the kingdom of heaven:
    "...you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect".

Correct.

You really need to learn how to read in context. As do others for that matter.

From you I derive no lessons. All of this I have stated.

Still there is the context of the entire New Testament. Skeptics like you often wish to slice and dice up the Bible and separate its parts one from another.

Skeptics like you like to "divide and conquer" the plenary revelation of the whole Bible - to cut up and kill the beast by separating the parts of the WHOLE revelation one from another.

The Demand of the book of Matthew is revealed.
    And the Supply of the book of John is also revealed.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '18 11:072 edits
    We don't trust the unbeliever false prophet who seeks to separate them, cut them asunder, and suppress one side in order to exalt the other side.

It is too bad you teach all this yet still do not believe in the resurrection of Christ the God-man who came to live a compounded life with those who receive Him.

Notice how your favored book ends - with Jesus saying that He is with His believers ALWAYS. Pity you don't believe it.

"And behold I am with you all the days until the consummation of the age." (Matt. 20:28b)

We'll make it because Jesus is with us - "God WITH us" - Emmanuel - all the days until the end of the age.
    Thank God that He has saved us from your philosophy that He is NOT.

Ie. a humanistic / atheistic hijacking attempt of the Gospel of the kingdom.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree