1. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jul '06 23:25
    What is the meaning of this passage in Matt 5:

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Why does Christ consider these people to be 'blessed' ?
    Does it mean that the 'poor in spirit', the meek and those that mourn will be saved ? If not, how is this to be interpreted?
  2. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 00:35
    Poor in spirit means we recognize that we are spiritual paupers before a holy and righteous God. It means that we see the truth about what we really are, and recognize how much we need God. Once we realize our spiritual condition it should cause us to lament over our circumstances. We will then stand before a holy God and say, “forgive me for being the sinner I am.” When we do this God will comfort us. I believe meek is defined as: showing patience and humility; gentle; mild; peaceful. It does not mean being some kind of sissy. Moses was described as meek, but he was a great leader. When we are meek we realize that God is in control and we give in to His will rather than our own.

At least that’s my take on it.
  3. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 00:47
    He was turning the current cultural norms upside down. In a culture that thought wealth and health were a sign of blessing and God's favor, Jesus came along and said *think again.* God doesn't give riches and health to good people, and poverty, illness, and injury to bad people.

That is not the whole package -- this adds to what the previous poster wrote.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '06 18:39
    Originally posted by masscat
    Poor in spirit means we recognize that we are spiritual paupers before a holy and righteous God. It means that we see the truth about what we really are, and recognize how much we need God. Once we realize our spiritual condition it should cause us to lament over our circumstances. We will then stand before a holy God and say, “forgive me for being the sinne ...[text shortened]... is in control and we give in to His will rather than our own.

Well said.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 11:30
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What is the meaning of this passage in Matt 5:

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Why does Christ consider these people to be 'blessed' ?
    Does it mean that the 'poor in spirit', the meek and those that mourn will be saved ? If not, how is this to be interpreted?
    Yes, you must be poor in spirit, mournfull, and meek, in that order no less, in order to inherit eternal life. Christ going to the cross was just done for kicks.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    09 Jul '06 20:211 edit
    Originally posted by reader1107
    God doesn't give riches and health to good people, and poverty, illness, and injury to bad people.
    Then what was the regime change in the land of Canaan all about?
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 03:20
    The meek will inherit the earth. Then I will come and kick the cr@p out of the meek and take it back.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 06:091 edit
    Poor in spirit means we recognize that we are spiritual paupers before a holy and righteous God. It means that we see the truth about what we really are, and recognize how much we need God. Once we realize our spiritual condition it should cause us to lament over our circumstances. We will then stand before a holy God and say, “forgive me for being the sinne ...[text shortened]... is in control and we give in to His will rather than our own.

That's an accurate take on it -- well said.

But what a bunch of BS. This is a good summary of one reason why Xianity is so degrading and debilitating to any conscious mind who takes it too seriously. Good thing it's all just a bunch of unjustified crap that should rightfully be ignored.

If one laments his circumstances, that doesn't mean he needs God. For those circumstances beyond his control, he needs to cultivate acceptance; for those within his control, he needs to better them through diligent effort. Why one would think he "needs God" for any of that, I don't know. He probably hasn't read any Buddhist thought, for example. Dharma practice grapples with the same confrontation concerning "lament" and anguish, but does it in a way that is not altogether silly and devoid of all rational thought. It attempts to understand such anguish; let go of its origins; realize its cessation; and cultivate a spiritual and ethical path. It doesn't posit some fatuous God figure at any point because doing so would just be silly and rationally unwarranted. It also doesn't try to mask the absurd (which is really the whole point of the invention of God). It also doesn't attempt to beat the idea into anyone's head that he is a worthless, dispensable, good-for-nothing pile of sin because that too would be silly, counterproductive, and degrading.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 07:523 edits
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    That's an accurate take on it -- well said.

But what a bunch of BS. This is a good summary of one reason why Xianity is so degrading and debilitating to any conscious mind who takes it too seriously. Good thing it's all just a bunch of unjustified crap that should rightfully be ignored.

If one laments his circumstances, that doesn't mean he ne hing pile of sin because that too would be silly, counterproductive, and degrading.
    Basically it is accepting the need of God because of our condition,
    it being so self-centered and warped. The light of God shines on us
    so that we see clearer than we ever could with out God. If you do not
    think you need God that is completely up to you.

1 Peter 4:17-19
    New International Version (NIV)

"For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it
    begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey
    the gospel of God? And, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
    what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?" So then, those who
    suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their
    faithful Creator and continue to do good. "

We all need saved, on our own we are not worthy, if you think you
    are good enough to stand before a Holy God that is saying something
    about your worth before God. If you reject that there is a God, that is
    a different discussion.
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 11:37
    1st Corinthians 2:14 (Amplified Bible) But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 11:47
    1st Corinthians 2:14 (Amplified Bible) But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.
    Why believe that, though? Because Paul said so? And if it is true then why did Jesus waste his breath talking to crowds of "natural men" (naturists?)?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 11:48
    Poor in spirit means we recognize that we are spiritual paupers before a holy and righteous God.
    So he didnt mean poor in spirit he meant "think they are poor in spirit". Amazing how many people seem to agree with your interpretation even though it is totally contrary to the actual text. I must really get myself one of those secret decoder rings.
  13. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 13:37
    It’s not my words you are rejecting; it’s the Word of God. My job is simply to preach the Gospel and warn people of God’s wrath to come on unbelievers. I have no control over people’s reaction to it, and I realize most will reject the Gospel. Consider yourselves warned.

Having said that, I have to ask what keeps bringing some of you back to this forum over and over again. What are you seeking? I wouldn’t be surprised to find some of you, someday, accepting the very thing you are now so strongly opposed to. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of you became preachers even…seen it happen before!
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 17:13
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Basically it is accepting the need of God because of our condition,
    it being so self-centered and warped. The light of God shines on us
    so that we see clearer than we ever could with out God. If you do not
    think you need God that is completely up to you.

1 Peter 4:17-19
    New International Version (NIV)

"For it is time for judgment to begin wi ...[text shortened]... orth before God. If you reject that there is a God, that is
    a different discussion.
    Kelly
    No, it is an objective matter that I don’t need your concept of God – which, by the way, fails to be instantiated.

We all need saved, on our own we are not worthy

Worthy of what, exactly? You don’t actually believe that, do you?
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    10 Jul '06 17:14
    “I’m right; and I cannot demonstrate that fact to you because there is something wrong with you.” Golly, isn’t that exactly what I would say if I had absolutely no recourse to any rational support for my beliefs?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree