1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 22:50
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    We have been able to come a long way by being able to look at things more objectively; when Galileo challenged the church it could have led and indeed led to some terrible consequences for him (I think the church apologised quite recently for that didn't they); how much easier is it now to 'do science' without interference from the church?
    Yet scienc ...[text shortened]... the construct is here today with us. And yes; it has adapted and changed, and still works.
    Back then it was anthopocentrism. Now it's evolution and big bang theory. Fortunately now technology, backed by science, made life a lot better and helped to be easier to maintain our local entropy lower. Science proved itself consistently during centuries, contrary to religions and that's why it thrived. Religion had to adapt or to extinguish by ridiculous. Now it's easier to do science because people ignore it's contradictions with religion: it's benefits clearly surpass those offer by religion. Religion tries to conciliate both to survive. If religion had the posture it had 500 years ago, no one would care about it.

But the fears and desires of people continue. The desire of certainty, to be able to trust something absolute, the desire to be something more, to transcend, to live forever, to justify morale. That can't be done by science, it's beyond its scope. Science says it's impossible to be sure of it, and that it would contradict what we know. That's why religion is still tolerated and has so many adepts. For those who can't resign to our real condition as mortals, as owners of our own destiny, as insignificant beings in a universe we can't yet understand.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Oct '07 22:51
    sorry jaywill I was trying to reach serigado with a question I think you might struggle with. You have a view of what eternal life is. Serigado (I suspect) will not hold the same view.

(Serigado)
    My take on the concept of eternal life is quite close to the evolutionary take; that is to say the genetic continuation. If a tribe (broadly, accurately ...[text shortened]... ng considered wrong) = death ; can you start to see it all adding up into a model of survival?
    I think i didn't understand the analogy quite well....
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 19:36
    Originally posted by serigado
    I think i didn't understand the analogy quite well....
    I thought you might.... I like that view; that the bible started as a manual for living and life; was continued as a manual for living and life, and has been hijacked by sects who claim it is their ticket to tell others what to do....
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 21:26
    I thought you might.... I like that view; that the bible started as a manual for living and life; was continued as a manual for living and life, and has been hijacked by sects who claim it is their ticket to tell others what to do....
    I think the Bible was started by such sects. That's why it's full of threats.
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 22:572 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I think the Bible was started by such sects. That's why it's full of threats.
    O'Really?

(just my joke...)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree