1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 17:36
    Is the Bible the word of God, written down by humans?

If you're a Christian, why do you believe this to be true?

Keep in mind, the Council at Nicea excluded many books, which could have changed a person's outlook.

So why do you believe the Bible, as given to us, is true?

Why should we believe the many, many stories?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 17:51
    @chaney3 said

Keep in mind, the Council at Nicea excluded many books, which could have changed a person's outlook.

My opinion:

An American custom in my youth required parents to convince their children that Santa Claus was real.

So I believed in Santa Claus.....until I found out the "truth".

Why should I believe any different about the bible?

I believe in a Creator, but maybe we've got it all wrong.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:174 edits
    @chaney3 said

Many Christians cite 2 Timothy 3:16 as saying that the Bible is the "inerrant word of God".

Placed in context it's clear that that verse says something different altogether

2 Timothy 3
    14You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

First of all, it only says that scripture is "inspired" by God - not that it is the "inerrant word of God".

Second of all, the context of 3:15 where it says "from childhood you have known the sacred writings" is also telling. The "sacred writings" that they would have known "from childhood" would have been the OT - not the NT.

What's also interesting is that 3:16-17 states scripture's value: that it is "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work". That's right: "training in righteousness" and for doing "good work(s)".
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:25
    @thinkofone said
    Many Christians cite 2 Timothy 3:16 as saying that the Bible is the "inerrant word of God".

Placed in context it's clear that that verse says something different altogether

2 Timothy 3
    14You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15and that [b]from childhood you have known the sacred writi ...[text shortened]... e "sacred writings" that they would have known "from childhood" would have been the OT - not the NT.
    Why believe any of it?
    Thousands of years ago.
    Who can know?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:281 edit
    @chaney3
    Why believe any of it?
    Thousands of years ago.
    Who can know?

Besides, Elvis is king anyway !
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:29
    @chaney3 said
    Why believe any of it?
    Thousands of years ago.
    Who can know?
    The point of my post was that 2 Timothy 3:16 doesn't say what many Christians believe it to say. Only those prone to self-delusion are able to convince themselves that it is saying that the Bible is the "inerrant word of God".
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:311 edit
    @ThinkOfOne

Could you quote me a notable Christian scholar or writer who inserts that the word "innerant" into 2 Tim. 3:16?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:41
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

Could you quote me a notable Christian scholar or writer who inserts that the word "innerant" into 2 Tim. 3:16?
    Your straw man is noted.

The fact is that many Christians cite 2 Timothy 3:16 as "proof" that the Bible is "the inerrant word of God". Many have cited it on this forum countless times over the years. Are you going to pretend that you're unaware of this?

Of course, if you want an answer to your question simply Google "the bible is the inerrant word of god" for many a "Christian scholar or writer" who cites it. As to how many are "notable" in your eyes - you're the only one who can speak to that.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:46
    @ThinkOfOne

Your words not mine.

So I ask for a quotation as an example.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:51
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

Your words not mine.

So I ask for a quotation as an example.
    I know that those are my words.

What part of my response to you didn't you understand?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:54
    @ThinkOfOne

As to how many are "notable" in your eyes - you're the only one who can speak to that.

Maybe so. But I sure wouldn't trust your "expertise" on things biblical.

You don't even define what is during the ministry of Jesus in an honest way.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 18:571 edit
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

As to how many are "notable" in your eyes - you're the only one who can speak to that.

Maybe so. But I sure wouldn't trust your "expertise" on things biblical.

What a bald-faced lie. Over the years I've explained it to you and you've even phrased many a response which clearly indicated that you understand exactly what that and "while He walked the Earth" means. Is "honest Christian" an oxymoron?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 19:451 edit
    @ThinkOfOne

What a bald-faced lie. Over the years I've explained it to you and you've even phrased many a response which clearly indicated that you understand exactly what that and "while He walked the Earth" means. Is "honest Christian" an oxymoron?

How come I can't remember a word of it?

The question remains a mystery about you until this present moment.
    You swear you explained it ??

Why did it not make more of an impression on me? I can't remember.

Oh, have you also answered the more recent question to you about - Did God SEND Jesus or NOT ?

That one's fresh. Why not give a Yes or a No in the next post? Or explain how you believe or do not believe God SENT Jesus into the world.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 19:471 edit

Somebody help me out.

What did ThinkOfOne explain about what it means "During His ministry".

What did he say this meant?
    Anybody?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 19:49
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

The question remains a mystery about you until this pres ...[text shortened]... in the next post? Or explain how you believe or do not believe God SENT Jesus into the world.

The question remains a mystery about you until this present moment.
    You swear you explained it ??

Why did it not make more of an impression on me? I can't remember.

Yes, I swear I've explained it to you. I don't know why you wouldn't remember.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree