1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 19:511 edit
    @ThinkOfOne
    you've even phrased many a response which clearly indicated that you understand exactly what that and "while He walked the Earth" means.

So you mean that while He was not WALKING on earth Jesus had no ministry ?

Make it REALLY REALLY clear for the sake of my shaky reading comprehension.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 19:59
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne
    you've even phrased many a response which clearly indicated that you understand exactly what that and "while He walked the Earth" means.

So you mean that while He was not WALKING on earth Jesus had no ministry ?

Make it REALLY REALLY clear for the sake of my shaky reading comprehension.
    Jaywill, as I've explained before both are commonly used expressions. It's not like I've made either of them up and generally people understand what is meant when I use them. Typically both speak to the time up until His crucifixion though for some the timeline is moved either forward or backward - more so with "during His ministry".

The best way for you to help your "shaky reading comprehension" would be for you to stop taking sentences (or even phrases) out of context and addressing them as if they were said in a vacuum.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 20:022 edits
    @ThinkOfOne

The best way for you to help your "shaky reading comprehension" would be for you to stop taking sentences (or even phrases) out of context and addressing them as if they were said in a vacuum.

Thanks. I'll work on it.

Now to your definition of "during His ministry," my comment is in another post.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 20:131 edit
    @ThinkOfOne

Jaywill, as I've explained before both are commonly used expressions. It's not like I've made either of them up and generally people understand what is meant when I use them. Typically both speak to the time up until His crucifixion though for some the timeline is moved either forward or backward - more so with "during His ministry".

People who are believers in the Gospel "generally understand" that the ministry of Jesus is continuing on unbroken from His resurrection and ascension through the ages and even until this present moment.

I don't know what crowd of "general" understanders you are talking about. Do you mean those who generally do not believe the New Testament? Is that who you appeal to as those who "generally understand" ?

Perhaps there are 10,000 similar Christian hymns to a representative one "What A Friend We Have In Jesus".
    Those thousands of hymns or poems would indicate that the MINISTRY of Jesus did not conclude at His death on the cross.

But even without the testimony of thousands of hymns, the TEACHING of Jesus Himself indicates HIS understanding that His ministry would continue after His resurrection and throughout the age.

After His resurrection, His closing words in the Gospel of Matthew was the He would ALWAYS be with His lovers.

"And behold, I am with you ALL THE DAYS, even to the consummation of the age." (Matt. 28:20)

Your appeal those who "generally understand" must be to the world's unbelievers who think Jesus is not "the resurrection and the life" (John 11:25) .

You think I as a disciple of Christ should adopt the attitude of the unbelieving world about the ministry of Jesus?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 21:05
    @sonship said
    @ThinkOfOne

Peopl ...[text shortened]... a disciple of Christ should adopt the attitude of the unbelieving world about the ministry of Jesus?
    You seem to have lost context of our discussion.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 22:04
    @sonship said
    What a bald-faced lie. Over the years I've explained it to you and you've even phrased many a response which clearly indicated that you understand exactly what that and "while He walked the Earth" means. Is "honest Christian" an oxymoron?

Somebody help me out.

What did ThinkOfOne explain about what it means "During His ministry".

What did he say this meant?
    Anybody?
    Never seen him explain it, but I have asked and have seen him asked over and over by others with no reply.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 22:04
    @chaney3 said
    Why believe any of it?
    There is no onus on you to believe it.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 23:224 edits
    @ThinkOfOne

Poor reading comprehension.
    Not reading in context.
    Losing track of the discussion.

So once I overcome these shortages I will then realize that the New Testament is lying to record the resurrection of Jesus Christ?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '18 23:29
    @thinkofone said
    You don't even define what is during the ministry of Jesus in an honest way.

What a bald-faced lie. Over the years I've explained it to you and you've even phrased many a response which clearly indicated that you understand exactly what that and "while He walked the Earth" means. Is "honest Christian" an oxymoron?
    While Jesus walked the earth he used words claiming that he was sent by God.

Was he correct?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Nov '18 14:28
    @chaney3

Is the Bible the word of God, written down by humans?

Often the writings reflect the style and personality of the writer.

God spoke in many ways to the Old Testament prophets. (Heb. 1:1). You have history, poetry, wisdom sayings, and prophecy.

While we do read some "Thus says the Lord" like sayings many other portions are not like this.

We do not think the whole Bible came to us as through a Dictaphone. Yet God communicated with man through moving by inspiration human writers to utter His word.

There was a plethora of other sacred writings both in the Old Testament period and the New. In both cases the people of God were guided by the Spirit of God to recognize the truly authoritative writings.

Some books were slower than others to be recognized.
    There will always be some objectors that this or that writing was unfairly overlooked.

If you're a Christian, why do you believe this to be true?

Mostly I believe it is true because of the gradual positive transformation His word and His Spirit had in our lives. I say "our" because it is a communal matter and not just individual.

It was a process for me. The beginning of the process was having my confidence in the integrity of Jesus established beyond question. Once my confidence on Christ that His integrity is beyond questioning was established, opening up to the REST of the Bible, like all of the Old Testament, was not too hard.

I learn that some things I did not understand I simplpy place on "the back burner" hoping that latter I will understand more.

Receiving the help from others who have gone before is also helpful. And in this process also some selection and discernment is needed.

I never stopped reading. Nothing ever caused me to shut the Bible for good, dismiss it all, and never again open it up.

By God's mercy I never got turned off to the ENTIRE Bible by two or more difficult places.

I still have some difficult places. I enjoy having some difficult places in the Bible. This lets me know that I am still growing spiritually.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 04:06
    @thinkofone said
    😆

this should be a meme
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 04:17
    @karoly-aczel said
    😆

this should be a meme
    Yeah.

The saddest thing is that even though I have once again explained what is meant by those expressions, it's likely that both jaywill and KJ will keep on claiming that I've never explained them.

YouTube
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 04:23
    @thinkofone said
    Yeah.

The saddest thing is that even though I have once again explained what is meant by those expressions, it's likely that both jaywill and KJ will keep on claiming that I've never explained them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZ91YtKLN4
    😆 😆 😆

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree