1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 16:59
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Sorry to rain down on your parade Rob, but humans being made from clay is hardy unique to the Biblical creation story.

The Babylonian creation story has the Goddess Ninhursag creating humans from clay, so does the ram headed God Khnum in Egyptian mythology, so does the mythical Chinese goddess Nuwa. Mayan myth holds that Tepeu and Kukulkán (Quetzalco ...[text shortened]... of clay and breathed life into her, and so was Pandora created by Hephaestus in Greek mythology.
    Humm. Sounds like copies of the Genesis account doesn't it.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 17:07
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Humm. Sounds like copies of the Genesis account doesn't it.
    You've hit the nail on the head. But unfortunately for you, not the way you think you have.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 17:43
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    If I recall properly, comparisons of mitochondrial DNA suggest a common ancestor for all homo sapiens.
    A common ancestor along the male or female line is not equivalent to monogenism. I do not think that any DNA studies support monogenism (I would be interested if they do.)
    If you have an isolated population that intermarries, it doesn't take long before everyone has a common ancestor via the male and female line (and those common ancestors would be in quite different generations). However, the total gene base may still be more diverse than a population descended from a single pair.
    To give a very simple example, you and your cousins share a common ancestor (both male and female) yet you are not examples of mongenism ie you are not solely descended from a single pair.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 17:48
    Sorry to rain down on your parade Rob, but humans being made from clay is hardy unique to the Biblical creation story.

The Babylonian creation story has the Goddess Ninhursag creating humans from clay, so does the ram headed God Khnum in Egyptian mythology, so does the mythical Chinese goddess Nuwa. Mayan myth holds that Tepeu and Kukulkán (Quetzalco ...[text shortened]... of clay and breathed life into her, and so was Pandora created by Hephaestus in Greek mythology.
    sorry to am upset your boat, we are not talking of other creation accounts, we are talking of Adam and Eve as yet you have proffered no explanation other than that other creation accounts also make the claim, that they may be copies of the original is not so far a stretch of the imagination, for as we are quite well aware, Babylonian religion spread from Mesopotamia outwards (oh where do find that, oh yes, in the bible and elsewhere) carrying with it vestiges of the original, that the genesis account is of greater antiquity only need be established and once again your wheels have fallen off and your cart is well, lying on the forum floor. shall we look at the flood account also in ancient Chinese, or other cultures, would you accept it then, for if we are to accept these elements, then we must accept the basis that if it is also contained in other accounts then it must be true, after all, it forms the entire basis of your argument.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Ok seeing that i like you despite your deprivations, the creation of Adam is entirely harmonious with both science and scripture, the inspired account state,

(Genesis 2:7) . . .And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground . . .

The table below gives the amount of each chemical element found in the human body, from mo dam, the Bible is scientifically accurate based on the elements which make up the human body.
    Sorry but this proves nothing. All you have is a list of chemicals found in us showing that we're predominantly oxygen, which we would be as we're around 75% water, and stated that the most abundant element in the earth's crust is 43% oxygen. Which is what you'd expect as the earth is covered in 70% water.

Silicon accounts for 27% of the Earth's crust yet only 0.000001% of us. Aluminiun accounts for 8% of the Earth's crust yet only 0.000000001% of us.

The Biblical account could've said we'd been made from anything on Earth and there would've been a strong oxygen correlation. It proves nothing.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 19:22
    Actually Kelly, the Bible has a consistant theme from Genesis to Revelation. It's all about the re-establishment of God's Kingdom back over the earth and the re-establishing of his right to rule us. That is what Satan challenged before all.
    Satan said God was a lier and that man could do this on their own. God has let time go by to prove man can't and ...[text shortened]... ings it all into focus with the final destruction of Satan and his influence on the earth....
    You should review what I said, I don't think you understood my point.
    Kelly
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 19:302 edits
    Sorry but this proves nothing. All you have is a list of chemicals found in us showing that we're predominantly oxygen, which we would be as we're around 75% water, and stated that the most abundant element in the earth's crust is 43% oxygen. Which is what you'd expect as the earth is covered in 70% water.

Silicon accounts for 27% of the Earth's crus ything on Earth and there would've been a strong oxygen correlation. It proves nothing.
    Silicon accounts for 27% of the Earth's crust yet only 0.000001% of us. Yes i think you've hit the nail on the head, although not in the way you intended! Interesting that the writer of Genesis should specifically state that it was clay and not silicone or some other element, i mean, considering their apparent abundance! What it proves my trusty feer is that the Biblical creation account may be corroborated, scientifically!
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 19:48
    Silicon accounts for 27% of the Earth's crust yet only 0.000001% of us. Yes i think you've hit the nail on the head, although not in the way you intended! Interesting that the writer of Genesis should specifically state that it was clay and not silicone or some other element, i mean, considering their apparent abundance! What it proves my trusty feer is that the Biblical creation account may be corroborated, scientifically!
    Interesting that the writer of Genesis should specifically state that it was clay and not silicone or some other element

Not really, the periodic table hadn't been invented yet, people of that era didn't know about chemical elements. If the writer of the Bible had used those words, that would be interesting. But they didn't.

Clay contains aluminium phyllosilicates, or silicate minerals. We don't have them in our body, except in minute quantities. Strange really considering we're supossedly made out of clay.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 20:022 edits
    [b]Interesting that the writer of Genesis should specifically state that it was clay and not silicone or some other element

Not really, the periodic table hadn't been invented yet, people of that era didn't know about chemical elements. If the writer of the Bible had used those words, that would be interesting. But they didn't.

Clay contains al except in minute quantities. Strange really considering we're supossedly made out of clay.[/b]
    we also have many other elements in our bodies contained in clay in minute quantities, your point caller please. . . . . I mean you are aware that men have one less rib than women?
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 20:51
    we also have many other elements in our bodies contained in clay in minute quantities, your point caller please. . . . . I mean you are aware that men have one less rib than women?
    I mean you are aware that men have one less rib than women?

This is not true.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 21:16
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    [b]I mean you are aware that men have one less rib than women?

This is not true.[/b]
    Lol, i know, i know, cat dude, just teasing 🙂
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 21:22
    Oh right. I see so many outlandish assertions in this forum it's hard to spot a joke among them.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 22:16
    Debate seriously. Don't joke around. If this was about points, you just lost one.
    Proper KNob is serious.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 22:552 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Debate seriously. Don't joke around. If this was about points, you just lost one.
    Proper KNob is serious.
    get a life my friend, just because a no nonsense attitude is part of the Swedish psyche doesn't mean we have to be subject to it, i care not for points scoring nor for winning debates, i just like having fun, you should try it some time, its good for your health. Would you like to assimilate us and make us all clones?
  15. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    18 Nov '10 03:52
    Just a personal observation and my opinion only, but I have to ask, why are you guys ( atheist ) here in the Spiritual forum?
    Some, perhaps, like me for instance, are in fact theists and spiritual people while at the same time totally rejecting 'religion' and dogma and folk stories, along with all the prosaic fetishing over competing 'scriptures' and the accompanying futile speculation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree