"The Causes of Atheism"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
07 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
I still do not see how any thinking person could think it was an attack. I meant it as I explained I meant it, as if I had said if. Maybe my mistake was saying "I said" when maybe I should have said "What I meant was".

Geeeeeez, gunned down by the semantics crowd again. I wasn't attacking GF, I was, in fact, complimenting him. If you can't see that, then too bad.
I still do not see how any thinking person could think it was an attack.

While you may have meant something different, people can only go by what you actually write. People are not mind readers. Even "thinking person(s)" are not mind readers.

As to your response as a whole, it seems you can't but help continue being "defensive". Pride perhaps?

T

Moves
07 Feb 14

Originally posted by googlefudge
You could very well be right.

Saying "that says a lot about you" without clarification is almost without exception
a bad thing... at least with everyone I've met.

But I wasn't nearly as miffed as I apparently came across.
And as I say, I generally do like you, even if I do think you're a bit nuts 😛
Saying "that says a lot about you" without clarification is almost without exception

Can't say as I can think of a time when it wasn't delivered as a value judgment either.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 14

You could very well be right.

But I wasn't nearly as miffed as I apparently came across.
Yeah, again, maybe there is this cultural gulf between the Americans and the Brits. This sort of remark, my "that says a lot about you" remark is common from Americans. While it could be taken as an attack, it's usually a form of compliment, but the actual meaning often has to be taken from context.

Eh, lesson learned. I gotta work on being more clear. Even when I think I'm being clear. 🙂

Moves
07 Feb 14

I was never having a row with you, we're good.
oxford english dictionary -

"row" (noun)

1. a resulting argument caused by one or more participants drinking in excess of four cans of stella (male) or a bottle of wine (female).

according to the english dictionary and looking at how daft the argument was, i suspect you were both in fact having a good old row.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 14

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b]I still do not see how any thinking person could think it was an attack.

While you may have meant something different, people can only go by what you actually write. People are not mind readers. Even "thinking person(s)" are not mind readers.

As to your response as a whole, it seems you can't but help continue being "defensive". Pride perhaps?[/b]
Well, yeah, I cannot help but continue defending myself because I cannot help being under continual attack from you. I suppose you'd rather I ignored your comments as unworthy of response?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
[b]oxford english dictionary -

"row" (noun)

1. a resulting argument caused by one or more participants drinking in excess of four cans of stella (male) or a bottle of wine (female).

according to the english dictionary and looking at how daft the argument was, i suspect you were both in fact having a good old row.[/b]
Does this definition have any relation perhaps to your 'screen name'?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 14

I was never having a row with you, we're good.
Well, yeah, but you weren't having a row with her, either, until I commented, and then you both commented on my comment, then you started in on each other. 🙁

Moves
07 Feb 14

Does this definition have any relation perhaps to your 'screen name'?
it does, kinda. stella and spalfie are my dogs........stella may have been named after the fine european beverage, either that or it was a homage to 'a street car named desire'.....or maybe both....okay its the beer, i was trying to sound cultured.

rc

Moves
07 Feb 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
it does, kinda. stella and spalfie are my dogs........stella may have been named after the fine european beverage, either that or it was a homage to 'a street car named desire'.....or maybe both....okay its the beer, i was trying to sound cultured.
stella means star you uncouth southerner, spalfie i have no idea.

T

Moves
07 Feb 14
1 edit

Well, yeah, I cannot help but continue defending myself because I cannot help being under continual attack from you. I suppose you'd rather I ignored your comments as unworthy of response?
I suppose you'd rather I ignored your comments as unworthy of response?

Not at all. Have I said or implied anything of the sort?

Well, yeah, I cannot help but continue defending myself because I cannot help being under continual attack from you.

I see. Let's look again at what you said in your last post:
"I still do not see how any thinking person could think it was an attack."

Here you've said that you cannot see how any "thinking person could think it was an attack". Can you see how you are basically saying that neither GF or I are "thinking person(s)"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b]I suppose you'd rather I ignored your comments as unworthy of response?

Well, yeah, I cannot help but continue defending myself because I cannot help being under continual attack from you.

I see. Let's look again at what you said in your last post:
"I still do not see how an ...[text shortened]... attack". Can you see how you are basically saying that neither GF or I are "thinking person(s)"?[/b]
Yes, of course. Now that, I meant. 🙂

About the 'that says a lot about you' comment, I see it is a cultural thing. When used in America, it's not always said in a bad way, it can be either good or bad, depending on context. In this case, I was actually complimenting GF, so I couldn't see why anyone would think I was being negative. I understand now that in Britain, it is almost always used in a negative way, I wasn't aware of that when I used it.

Yes, your comments about why am I still defending myself implied you thought I should react in some other way to your comments. As I see it, I could ignore you or defend myself. I didn't think agreeing with you was a practical option.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
stella means star you uncouth southerner, spalfie i have no idea.
So you admit you're a half-wit?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Feb 14
1 edit

Maybe I should put this quote on my profile page, it's not often that Mr. Googlefudge admits he likes anyone. 😀

"And I can't deny that you like me, right now, you like me!" -- Sally Field, accepting her 1985 Best Actress oscar for 'Places in the Heart'

D

Moves
07 Feb 14

D

Moves
07 Feb 14