09 Feb '14 00:49
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    who are you talking too?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 00:55
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Have a butchers at this. Sound familiar?

http://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-misc-chess/6022-nick-bourbakis-many-lies.html
    but..but..he's called nick and as we know from the extensive female experiences that duchess has had that she is female...................................................................................................................................................oh, i see. that reminds me i haven't watched 'the crying game' in ages.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 13:04
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]ToO I think this is a time when you're being to interrogatory.
    When [for example] RC is trying to weasel out of something he said and
    is trying to deny then your approach and tenacity are absolutely appropriate. I don't think it is in a case like this where there was an off topic misunderstanding that was corrected.

Of course, Suzianne could ...[text shortened]... ense about "thinking people", it being a "cultural thing", it being about "colloquialisms", etc.[/b]
    Of course, since I'm a woman, I should simply be seen and not heard.

Even when attacked. Otherwise how could 'right-thinking' men ever run me down properly?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 13:141 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Have a butchers at this. Sound familiar?

http://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-misc-chess/6022-nick-bourbakis-many-lies.html
    I'm glad we're not quite yet to this point.

But that's the problem when you have a forum with many, many posters. The amount of people with "a splinter in their backside" seems to increase.

By the way, as an aside, what does this mean, to "Have a butchers at this." Remember, I'm American, so you might have to speak slowly. 🙂
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 13:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne

But that's the problem when you have a forum with many, many posters. The amount of people with "a splinter in their backside" seems to increase.

By the way, as an aside, what does this mean, to "Have a butchers at this." Remember, I'm American, so you might have to speak slowly. 🙂
    Cockney rhyming slang.

Butcher's hook = look.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 13:44
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Cockney rhyming slang.

Butcher's hook = look.
    Okay, I've heard of this. It still catches me every time, though.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 14:092 edits

edit - oops, already answered...nothing to see here, move along.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 15:10
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]I would say that it upset me, but I don't believe that the man who said it
    should be beaten up (which Googlefudge said he would like to do) for it.

Yeah, some seem to remain perpetually 16. Though, IIRC GF is still pretty young. Hopefully he'll grow out of it.[/b]
    I never said I would beat him up. I didn't say he should be beaten up.
    What I said was...

"I understand that it wouldn't be helpful, and why, but man would I like to beat
    the crap out of that a***. "

What I said I would do is take him to task for it and report him.

In the same way that stories about peodofiles tend to make me want to rip them
    limb from limb, but I never advocate for the death penalty [in fact quite the opposite]
    and I am absolutely against torture.

Again, I suggest reading what I write more carefully and try to avoid inserting meanings
    and intentions that are not actually there.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 15:206 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What I said was...

"I understand that it wouldn't be helpful, and why, but man would I like to beat

In the same way that stories about peodofiles tend to make me want to rip them ...[text shortened]... more carefully and try to avoid inserting meanings
    Wait a minute, just wait one ******* minute.

I see you take people to task all the time for 'putting words in your mouth'.

You are wrong this time.

ToO said (taken from YOUR quote box): "I would say that it upset me, but I don't believe that the man who said it should be beaten up (which Googlefudge said he would like to do) for it."

Here is what you say you said, "I understand that it wouldn't be helpful, and why, but man would I like to beat the crap out of that a***. "

Let's magnify the important parts:
    ToO: "which Googlefudge said he would LIKE to do"
    GF: "man would I LIKE to beat the crap out of that a***"

(My caps)

It seems that ToO reporting that beating him up is "which Googlefudge said he would LIKE to do" IS CORRECT, and therefore WHY are you taking him to task again?

Methinks you are just a tad too sensitive as to what you perceive as your 'civil right not to be misquoted', and tend to take this to such an extreme degree that you take offense even when the quoter is right.

But you yourself misquote ToO when you say to him, "I never said I would beat him up. I didn't say he should be beaten up."

My point is that *neither did ToO* say that you said that.

Maybe you could follow your own advice about reading what other people write more carefully.

Edit: And now I look back through the posts and I realize that this quote (supposedly from ToO) was from a post by Duchess64 which ToO was quoting. So actually, ToO wasn't even the origin of the quote. Notice that I still maintain the quote is a correct statement. No matter who said it, it's still true.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 16:41
    Wait a minute, just wait one ******* minute.

I see you take people to task all the time for 'putting words in your mouth'.

You are wrong this time.

ToO said (taken from YOUR quote box): "I would say that it upset me, but I don't believe that the man who said it should be beaten up (which Googlefudge said he would like to do) for it."

Here is wh ...[text shortened]... I still maintain the quote is a correct statement.[/i] No matter who said it, it's still true.
    Actually no... At least I don't believe so.
    The quote I was responding to was this...

"I would say that it upset me, but I don't believe that the man who said it
    should be beaten up
    (which Googlefudge said he would like to do) for it"

The bit in bold is important. Because it [to my mind] clearly indicates that I actually
    would have beaten him up if I was there, as opposed to simply feeling the desire to
    beat him up which I never intended to act on.

Yes, both sentences used the word like, but it has more than one meaning and in
    determining which context is vital. In this context it absolutely looks like I was saying
    that had I been there I would have beaten him up, as opposed to feeling the desire
    to hit him and repressing it.

Saying that "I don't think that X should happen", and following it with "Y would like to
    do X" Seems to clearly indicate that Y would actually do X given the opportunity and
    does think X should happen.

Which is neither what I intended or actually said.

So no, I really don't think I am wrong this time.

If I am [always possible], it's certainly not as black and white as you are making out.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:28
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Perhaps this is a question of interpretation, but Googlefudge's belated
    (why did he not mention it earlier?) claim of having dyslexia seems to have
    been made in the spirit of 'How dare you (Duchess64) unfairly criticise me
    when I have dyslexia!', as though I already should have known of it.

I didn't read that into it.

Perhaps I felt sensitive to being attacked by him again.

This seems a reasonable possibility.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:28
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    who are you talking too?
    I believe she is talking to us that have not given you the benefit of the doubt.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:33
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    nah, your still at it about 3 or 4 posts above this, that doesnt look like moving on. anywhoo im not the forum police, if you wanna argue over semantics then go for it. it just seems that there are more important semantics to argue over than things lost in translation.
    No idea how you got "moving on" out of what I wrote and it wasn't just about semantics. But then, if you'd reread the posts as I suggested, you'd probably know that.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:50
    Of course, since I'm a woman, I should simply be seen and not heard.

Even when attacked. Otherwise how could 'right-thinking' men ever run me down properly?
    Once again, not at all. This is at least they second time that you've made such statements and both times they have been unwarranted. Nowhere have I said or implied anything of the sort.

These statements and your earlier meltdown do seem to indicate pride at work. Since you're familiar with the Bible, you should be aware of its ill effects.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 19:05
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What I said was...

In the same way that stories about peodofiles tend to make me want to rip them ...[text shortened]... more carefully and try to avoid inserting meanings

I never said you did.

Actually what you said was that you would "like to beat the crap out of that a***. "

Again, I suggest reading what I write more carefully and try to avoid inserting meanings and intentions that are not actually there.

See the irony here?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree